George Rose hated Craig Bellamy and almost quit the Storm

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
GEORGE Rose had penned his resignation letter.

The Manly recruit and NRL cult hero had it mapped out in his head exactly what he would write to Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy.

Read More

GEORGE Rose had penned his resignation letter.

The Manly recruit and NRL cult hero had it mapped out in his head exactly what he would write to Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy.

George+Rose+Roosters+v+Sea+Eagles+DRtv36Cs4rPl1.jpg
The 116kg wrecking ball’s new adventure in Melbourne over before it had begun.

The thought came to him in the early hours of a muggy December morning as he walked the dreaded 1000 steps in the Dandenong Ranges for a second time.

Rose had already hiked 44km through the day and night as part of a brutal two-day training camp that was sprung on the Melbourne playing group without warning.

A physically and mentally shattered Rose had his mind made up and wanted to jump on the next flight back to Sydney.

“Seriously I had all sorts of demons on that walk,” Rose said.

“In my head I was writing out a speech to Craig Bellamy telling him I’m out of here and how much I hated him.

“I was coming down the hill and I was thinking my legs are stuffed, I’ve ripped muscles off the bone, my joints are swollen.

“It was a case of ‘Why am I here? I don’t need this and I’m done.’”

Storm premiership players such as Ryan Hinchcliffe labelled the hike the “hardest thing I’ve ever done.”

Rose said it took everything he had not to hoist the white flag.

“I knew exactly what I would say to them – I was going to walk into (Storm football manager) Frank Ponissi’s office and sit Bellamy down,” he said.

“I was absolutely at my brink, but I’m glad I didn’t cross over.

“I had some crazy thoughts, but to come through it and not give in was a huge boost and I’m very proud of that.”

The big man is fighting fit after a gruelling pre-season like nothing he every experienced at the Sea Eagles.

“One thing that surprised me was how similar the two club’s successes had been over the past 10 years and how different they are,” Rose said.

“They train really hard here and it has been one of the toughest pre-seasons I have had, if not the toughest.

“It’s the culture here – it’s work hard and reap the rewards later.”

Rose is set to bolster Melbourne’s forward pack this season after shedding 8kg since arriving in Melbourne.

There is no doubting the 30-year-old’s ability to turn games.

Coming off the bench in last year’s preliminary final, the man known as “Gorgeous George” threw his big frame at the South Sydney wall with ferocity time and time again.

He skittled the Bunnies on almost every carry to help lift his side to victory.

Before Bellamy signed Rose late last year, he asked skipper Cameron Smith for his thoughts on the Manly hulk.

Smith quickly urged the coach to complete the deal.

“Going off matches when we’ve played against George, he was always a handful and gave his team impact off the bench and momentum,” Smith said.

“As a dummy half that is always something you are looking for in your forwards and there is probably no one better in the game at creating a quick play the ball than George.”

Rose has been involved in many heated battles with Melbourne over the years.

But while his former club and Melbourne have long been rivals, Rose said he was always open to joining Storm.

“Actually nearly every time I came off contract I looked at Melbourne as an option,” he said.

“I always had respect for Melbourne even though there was that rivalry because I liked the way they played.

“But I could never bring myself to come down being at one club for so long.

“I needed a change and what bigger change could you get than to come down here to Melbourne?”

With his big build and figure-hugging jumper, Rose is a much loved player in the NRL.

But he is also an easy target for opposition fans.

He said he was still getting used to receiving cheers from the same Storm supporters that used to berate him at AAMI Park.

“Walking around signing autographs after the trial game last week, some of the Storm fans apologised for some of the things they had said over the years,” Rose laughed.

“But it’s fair enough and it’s good the supporters have that passion.

“To be cheered and not booed for once at AAMI Park was nice.”

Nick Smart

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/melbourne-recruit-george-rose-hated-craig-bellamy-and-almost-quit-the-storm/story-fni3gpfg-1226826399957

So since leaving.....

He now says both clubs have had similar success, which is not true and he knows we all hate that reference, and

He's finally losing the weight that Des and 2v begged him to for years.

I know you guys like him, etc but he has moved into just another storm player category for me. No more 'oh I wish him well but not against manly' rubbish from me.

Anyone who saw the pre-season training vids of manly from last year would show how hard the men work, and not to lose weight going through all of that, takes a fair degree of disrespect of the Manly work ethic.

It doesn't take a 44klm hike for me to hate the Storm & Bellamy.
How about Hinchcliffe,
"the hardest thing I've ever done".
Stay away from the Military then, cobber.

George could turn into the Scum's Tex :p

Seeing him in their recent Trials, he has regained most of the weight just to spite them :cool:

I'm installing a new septic system on my farm and I have noticed that all fittings for the system are required by Council to be purple, signifying putrid filth.

I thought to myself, yeah that makes perfect sense to me.

he would have put the 8kg's on over xmas from his playing weight at Manly.

He will still be a BFC this season.

I'm starting to get tired of this crusade by the press to show how Bellamy has succeeded where Tooves and the Sea Eagles training staff have failed.

Agree with you Global Eagle. We are not the two best teams in the last decade. We are the most successful as we didn't cheat the salary cap.

Ralphie said:
I'm installing a new septic system on my farm and I have noticed that all fittings for the system are required by Council to be purple, signifying putrid filth.

I thought to myself, yeah that makes perfect sense to me.

Its also interesting to note that google describes the colour dark purple as 'invokes gloom and sadness. It causes frustration' and that light purple 'is a good choice for feminine designs. Also effective for children.'

So by that logic, a team that wears purple would invoke frustration and is generally worn by women and children. Seems to accurate represent Melbourne players and fans.

Obviously no maccas near George's home or training. Sick of hearing it just shows how little respect he had here to not do the hard yards.

Lost 8 KG. Hardest pre season Georgie's ever had. "It's the culture at Melbourne work hard and reap rewards". I say credit were credits due to Belly Ache. Both Hasler and 2v failed in the past with changing George. Cuthbo another who lost a stack of weight when leaving suggest some things at our club can be improved. In fairness to Toov's 2012 he's a first year coach confronted by a senior playing group dictating how hard they wanted to work. I suspect times have changed, with long time players like Kite and Georgie being moved on. Now Gifty seemingly given the facts of life suggests Toovs is in charge. Perhaps physically and mentally some players at the Eags will have room to improve. So thanks Georgie but we are pretty aware it's ship up or ship out.

I'd like to write Bellamy a letter as well but I think there are laws against that sort of thing.

“I was coming down the hill and I was thinking my legs are stuffed, I’ve ripped muscles off the bone, my joints are swollen."

Sounds like something a lazy fatty would say. Why are they always over dramatic?

mickqld said:
Obviously no maccas near George's home or training. Sick of hearing it just shows how little respect he had here to not do the hard yards.

It is noting more than a beat up

Player leaves club goes to new one and has to talk about "how great" things are

Look our players do the same whenever they join. What do you expect him to say? I think it sucks in Melbourne as they are cap cheating, grapple tackling inbreads...and they have Billy Slater...

Like most of us I loved George while he was at Manly but unlike some I'll be giving him as much stick as anyone in that filthy jersey this year.

He's one if them now regardless of what he's done in the past.

His icon status at Brookie is null & void now as far as I'm concerned!

GO MANLY!

lsz said:
mickqld said:

It is noting more than a beat up

Player leaves club goes to new one and has to talk about "how great" things are

Look our players do the same whenever they join. What do you expect him to say? I think it sucks in Melbourne as they are cap cheating, grapple tackling inbreads...and they have Billy Slater...
Exactly. For some players being moved on is the only thing that makes them finally pull the finger out. I don't blame Toovey and Hasler etc for failing to get the guy fit, that is ridiculous.

If Bellamy has a skinny George to start the year, good luck to him. It won't be the real George though, and in any case it probably won't last long.

I always thought the best and worst thing to happen for the George Manly relationship was his horrific broken leg. The club stuck by him which I think probably won his heart for the team but at the same time always meant he played them for a bit of a soft touch.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4