Gillchrist's retirement

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
What are everyones thoughts on the retirement of Gilly?
Who do you think will end up replacing him?

dan

Haddin should get the first gig. I am a big fan of Gilchrist but I respect his reasons for going. Touring constantly is a big strain on personal lives and the schedule this year is pretty mad.

He is an ornament to the game and will go down as one of the best ever. His keeping was very good without being sensational but everything else was tip-top.

He will be hugely missed and it remains to see if he can be replaced.

Dan link said:
Haddin is surely too old

He's only a tick over 30 and he is leaps and bounds ahead of the next keeper.

Haddin's glovework is probably superior to Gilly's at this stage in their careers and his batting very, very good as well.

Haddin can hold the spot for 3-4 years and hopefully in that time one of the other talented young keepers (Ronchi, Crosthwaite - the Victorian one, Tim Paine, maybe Hartley will finally reach his potential etc) will step up and keep the pressure on him.

It would be especially good if it was Paine/Crosthwaite. Both in their early 20s, Hartley might be a bit older, he's certainly been around for a few years now. But if they kick on as Cricket Australia hope then they'll be 27/28 by the time Haddin is nearing the end of his Test career (mid 30s) so they'll have plenty of time ahead of them and should be in the prime of their careers.

On Gilly though - fantastic player, a great role model for Australian sporting kids and one of the greatest players of the modern era, if not history. Australia will miss his leadership more than anything at this stage in his career. If I was being honest I would actually say that Haddin has been the better player of the two for probably the past 12-18 months, but Gilly held a leadership role in the side, as well as his potential to do the incredible (such as that astonishing knock in Perth against the Poms last Ashes tour).

Enjoy retirement Gilly - you've given Australian cricket plenty of great service. I just wish you'd stayed with NSW and we'd dumped Phil Emrie - you probably would've played Test cricket two years earlier (due to the whole get a baggygreen with your baggyblue thing....).

I don't know about five years. Gilly has shown us how quickly your form as a keeper can deteriorate once you hit 35. He is only 36, and despite being one of the best of all time, and we've seen how quickly he has gone down in the past 18 months.

I'd say 3-4 years he will do it comfortably, after that you really want someone to be pressing him for his spot for sure.

willstyles link said:
I don't know about five years. Gilly has shown us how quickly your form as a keeper can deteriorate once you hit 35. He is only 36, and despite being one of the best of all time, and we've seen how quickly he has gone down in the past 18 months.

I'd say 3-4 years he will do it comfortably, after that you really want someone to be pressing him for his spot for sure.

Playing at Gillys level and travelling the amount they do, combined with age, is probably the key contributor to his form deterioriation.

Haddin is far less travelled and hasnt had anywhere near the same mental and physical stress as Gilly has. I reckon he can breeze through until he is 35.

Agreed though,at about that 3-4 year mark you would want someone pressuring him for his spot.

It looks like NSW could be without 8 players later this year when the Pakistan tour goes then: Clark, Clarke, Haddin, Jaques, MacGill, Lee, and maybe also Katich and Bollinger

We'll still smash everyone else in the sheffield shield!!

Gilly is/was a legend.

No better player to watch with Bat in hand and his numbers behind the stumps prove hime to be very handy with the gloves.

The positive to come out of it?? We have a replacement keeper (Haddin) that will keep up the standards Gilly has left.

The gilly > Haddin transition will be very subtle as opposed to the Warney > Hogg transition.

willstyles link said:
[quote author=Nutzcraw link=topic=176846.msg177217#msg177217 date=1201589109]
The gilly > Haddin transition will be very subtle as opposed to the Warney > Hogg transition.

Worst transition ever. It's like going from a ferrari to a unicycle.
[/quote]

Yes we need to come up with a spin alternative very, very quickly.

I say we just give the spinning duties to Michael Clarke and symonds. They are no worse than hogg and gives us an extra option for pace. I'd pick Bollinger.

Firstly Gilly - one of those generational players who change cricket

Bollinger is having a huge season and may well be the real deal however is think what we are lacking at the moment is team balance.

We need a swing bowler. Johnson is being given every chance but i would love to see the works thrown behind hilfenhouse. Everytime i have wathced him i have liked what i have seen. When the ball is moving he is the best in the aussie ranks right now. What he lacks is a stock standard tarmac pitch bowling pattern. If he can get that then look out.

Look at the only times the aussies have looked the worse team over the last few years, its always against good swing bowling.

Our best bowler in that is Lee, an out and out pace bowler who may well go on to be one of the aussies best ever and is certainly at the top of the world at the moment but he isnt a genuine swing bowler like a Waqaur etc.

Waqar was a cheat, did you ever see that pricks thumbnail, it wasnt for picking guitar thats for sure.

Crooked as the day is long.

Hilfenhaus has gone backwards a bit this season, hopefully he can get it back because you are right in when he is on he is the goods.

We go to England next year and will need at least one if not two bowlers who can swing the pill. Lee and Clark will pick themselves but the other spots are open.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4