Give the kid a go: Kieran Foran

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

deadlyeagle

Reserve Grader
Give the kid a go
sportRugby League04 Feb 09 @ 05:13pm by JASON AVEDISSIAN
http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/give-the-kid-a-go/

NEW Zealand Test selector Darrell Williams believes the time is right to blood Sea Eagles teenage half Kieran Foran on the premiers upcoming World Club Challenge tour of England.

With Matt Orford off contract at the end of 2009 and certain to receive strong interest from cashed-up English clubs, Williams is encouraging Manly coach Des Hasler to use Foran as the captain’s under-study on the two-match tour.

At just 18, Foran is yet to play in the NRL, but Williams and ex-Kiwi half Gary Freeman yesterday both backed the kid to get a crack.

“Why not,” Williams told The Manly Daily on Wednesday. “Whilst the game doesn’t count towards the premiership, why not give him a go. If you want to experiment, now is the time to do it and see if the young fellow is up to it.

“Kieran is a developing player and he could give some value to Des on their little trip to England.”

Freeman said Foran would benefit under Orford should he tour.

“It’s a great idea,” the former Tiger said. “What a great experience to go and play in England under the guidance of Orford.”

Hasler is expected to name a squad of 22 to 24 players for the two-match trip to London and Leeds. The squad departs Sydney on Sunday week.

The 2008 NRL champions will open with a warm-up game against Harlequins in London, before taking on English Super League premiers Leeds in the World Club Challenge clash at Ellan Road on March 1.

Foran played in the Sea Eagles Toyota Cup campaign last season and is viewed as a long-term project for the club.

Williams also hinted the Auckland-born youngster could be touted as a future New Zealand international.

“He’s got some ability,” the 1987 Manly premiership-winning centre. “He’s starting to knock on the door and is someone I’ve been keeping an eye on as far as the Kiwis go.

“We’ve been weak in the halves position with Benji Marshall injured a lot, so I’ve taken an interest in Kieran.”

Hasler will announce his squad on Friday, February 13.

Haven't we got some trial matches in Aus coming up? I'm sure that would be sufficient.

Byso, I think because of the world club challenge we no longer have trial commitments here, there was originally going to be another sunshine coast trial which we were eagerly awaiting

I for one hope the club challenge isn't being treated as a trial by Dessie. A complete waste of time and money going over there if it is.

i would like to see Foran on the bench in some NRL matches if Manly

a) Are in a strong position on the table
b) They are leading by a few tries or losing by alot, preferably the first
c) the opposition is weak.

Then bring Foran on WITH orford and bench the current 5/8. Then after 10mins bring back on the 5/8 and take off orford.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6