Glenn Stewart opens up on his return to Brookvale

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
SOUTH Sydney forward Glenn Stewart says it is going to be a strange feeling walking into the opposition sheds in his return to Brookvale Oval on Friday night.

Stewart enjoyed 12 seasons at Manly before an internal ruckus last year saw the former Test and NSW back-rower forced out of the club.

It was a decision which may have been the beginning of the end for coach Geoff Toovey.

Stewart spoke for the first and last time on Monday about what will be his first game back at Brookvale Oval, where he was once a crowd favourite.

Friday night’s match will be an absolute belter with Souths camped inside the top four and Manly coming off a crushing upset win over competition frontrunners Brisbane.

“It will certainly be a different feeling going into the other sheds on Friday night but I’m looking forward to playing at Brookie again,’’ Stewart said.

The fans were always good to me for a lot of years. I always appreciated their support but now I’m part of Souths.

“They’re always good games between Souths and Manly and I’ve always enjoyed the atmosphere at Brookie.

“I’ve still got plenty of friends there, both players and people around the club, so it will be good to see them.”

Stewart was a key part of Manly’s premierships in 2008 and 2011.

Brookvale will be bursting at capacity as the Sea Eagles continue their late-season surge for a finals spot.

“Manly have been very impressive of late and we’ll need to be at our best on Friday night,” Stewart said.

It was only internal politics that pushed Stewart out of Brookvale. The Penn family was emphatic that Stewart be retained.

Another faction on the board at that time — Quantum — stepped in and told Toovey not to table an offer.

It was one of the biggest blunders in Manly’s 68-year history.

Quantum has now left the club, while Manly district football club remain with two seats on a seven-man board. They are known as “toothless tigers” among club powerbrokers.

I for one wont be cheering Glen Stewart on Friday. Yes he has my respect and was a wonderful player for us but now he is part of South's as he plainly puts it and should be treated the same as every other South's player with disdain and hatred !!

I for one will never treat Glen with disdain and hatred. There is no blame given to him when he wanted to stay for unders. Not only is he still a fantastic player his off field value to the younger players is invaluable.

I for one will never treat Glen with disdain and hatred. There is no blame given to him when he wanted to stay for unders. Not only is he still a fantastic player his off field value to the younger players is invaluable.
Agree hatred is a bit harsh... Maybe disliked because he is wearing a South's jumper

@Mark from Brisbane spot on. I can't boo Gift. I hope he has a great game on a losing side, he is like Brent Kite, retained massive dignity and if I was at the game I would be more than happy to give Glenn a high five or take a picture with him. I cannot say the same for Watmough, or Foran next year.

Given his long stint on the sidelines again this year it was the right move to let him move on. No way would he have stayed for unders that matched his on field game time of about 60% over the last 4 years.

He has also stopped taking the line on so woulkd not have helped with go forward when on the field.

like Bozo and Fatty etc he will be welcomed back after his playing days are over and like fatty he may well be booted for reason after (for those who were thinking that) but hopefully not

It's nice that many posters think G. Stewart is a lovely guy, without a nasty bone in his body. Personally I'm somewhat more cynical.

I imagine that ZtH was keeping Glenn and his dad Barry Sr (is there a more unimaginatively named family in Australian sport?) in the loop, in his destabilisation efforts against coach Toovey. Did Glenn lean on Uncle Peter to go easy on Toovey? I doubt it. His brother's comments at last week's press conference re: the coach's fate, are almost certainly representative of how the whole family views Toovey's predicament.

Notwithstanding their tremendous achievements in Manly jumpers, it will come as something of a relief when Brett retires and the nexus between ZtH and the Stewart family is broken - insofar as that connection impacts directly on the Sea Eagles. In their own way, they have been just as high maintenance as Watmough was during his Manly tenure.

Last edited:
G.Stewart will be the enemy Friday night. Just tackle him around the legs and smash anyone he passes to.

It's nice that many posters think G. Stewart is a lovely guy, without a nasty bone in his body. Personally I'm somewhat more cynical.

I imagine that ZtH was keeping Glenn and his dad Barry Sr (is there a more unimaginatively named family in Australian sport?) in the loop, in his destabilisation efforts against coach Toovey. Did Glenn lean on Uncle Peter to go easy on Toovey? I doubt it. His brother's comments at last week's press conference re: the coach's fate, are almost certainly representative of how the whole family views Toovey's predicament.

Notwithstanding their tremendous achievements in Manly jumpers, it will come as something of a relief when Brett retires and the nexus between ZtH and the Stewart family is broken - insofar as that connection impacts directly on the Sea Eagles. In their own way, they have been just as high maintenance as Watmough was during his Manly tenure.

To be fair to Glenn (opposed to say Choc) there is nothing on record to suggest anything like this

Gifty will remain a MMWSE Hero in my eyes. He has never disrespectfed the club since his departure, and he would have plenty of reason to be bitter ~ But.he.is.not.
He delivered for our club when it most counted. (2008, 11)

He was sent off as a result of the Donnybrookvale BUT WE STILL WON 18 ~ 6 !

I ask this rhetorical question : What will Gifty do if a nasty Rabbids forward tries to chicken wing, flip tackle or take Brett out of the game illegally ?? The brothers are close and blood runs thicker than contracts. iLuke behave yourself .

Last edited:
I can't hate Gifty, I can only hate the club he currently plays for.

Gift never wanted to leave Manly.

. . . the Stewart family is broken - insofar as that connection impacts directly on the Sea Eagles. In their own way, they have been just as high maintenance as Watmough was during his Manly tenure.
But have delivered so so much more than Watmough, and all of us COMBINED.!

To be fair to Glenn (opposed to say Choc) there is nothing on record to suggest anything like this
G'day all,You're right Glen didn't say anything,but others were firing bullets for him.By maintaining his silence he was giving tacit support to the agitators.
cheers mike

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7