Glenn Stewart set for emotional Manly farewell

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Manly star Glenn Stewart is poised for an emotional Brookvale Oval farewell next week in the Sea Eagles' final home game of the year in his return from a long-term ankle injury.

Read More

Manly star Glenn Stewart is poised for an emotional Brookvale Oval farewell next week in the Sea Eagles' final home game of the year in his return from a long-term ankle injury.

Stewart
Glenn+Stewart+izoGyi8pi8im1.jpg
hasn't played since Manly's 54-18 round-eight thumping of Canberra in April.

But the two-time premiership winner began running again on Wednesday and is set to be fit for next week's round-25 clash with Penrith, in what shapes as his last game in Sea Eagles colours at Brookie before his move to South Sydney next year.

Given the acrimonious nature of his departure from Manly, the Sunday afternoon match shapes as an emotional one for Stewart's teammates and fans.

Manly coach Geoff Toovey said on Thursday that Stewart would likely be fit for the Panthers, in a match sure to have a big impact on the final make-up of the top eight.

"Glenn is running now and we are hoping he will be back for the last home game, but we will have to wait and see," Toovey said.

"He is running though and that is a good sign.

"Obviously, we would have liked it to have been a bit quicker but, the quicker we can get him back on the field, the better."

Stewart's departure has split the Sea Eagles' playing ranks with his brother Brett, Steve Matai and Anthony Watmough all reportedly requesting early releases from their contracts due to dissatisfaction with club management over the saga.

Glenn Stewart has spent 12 seasons at Brookvale and, when his move to Redfern was announced in April, fans responded by cheering through the 13th minute of the following game against the Raiders at Brookvale Oval, in a tribute to the Clive Churchill medal-winning No.13.

Teammate Jamie Buhrer said Manly were keen for Stewart to get some football under his belt in the lead-up to the finals.

"It was a good sign this week to see him running. We were training yesterday and we could see him running on the side and there were plenty of boys yelling out offering him encouragement," Buhrer said.

"He has been a big part of this side for a long time so, the sooner we get him back, the better - not only for us as a team but for him as an individual, to get some game time under his belt before the semi-finals."
James MacSmith
AAP

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/stewart-set-for-emotional-manly-farewell-20140821-3e2xs.html

Well, we need to farewell this champion with a big win at Brookie.
He might be wearing a ridiculous jersey next year but he'll always be Manly.
Thanks for everything Glenn, you legend.

Boofhead said:
Coming down from the Gold Coast for this game. It will be our first time at Brookvale for 2014.

Make sure you give us a cheerio on your way through Coffs again boof.

ManlyArmy said:
Last game at Brookie for 2014, Gifty farewell, Matai's 200th, Sunday Arvo Footy. If we don't get 20,000, there must be something wrong with some of our fans!

Couldn't agree more.... What a legend, What a Champion :)

It'd be fantastic to see Gifty at or close to 100% fitness and back on the field for our last 2 games, especially at Brookie next Sunday vs the Panthers.

If he's not fit enough though he shouldn't push it, I'll beleive it when the team is listed with an hour of kickoff.

Champion Manly player, thanks for all the great memories mate!
All the best, cept' You're gonna get smashed when you next face Manly wearing the dirty Souffs jersey next year.

southsideeagle said:
I won tickets in a corporate box for the day .. I'm pretty excited.

I'll probably be over on the hill getting drenched BUT the atmosphere will be better.

Enjoy your corporate box mate, I have done that a few times as well its very nice indeed (and dry).

Can't wait for this game! Big cheers for Gifty & hopefully a crushing win for our boys :)

Mark from Brisbane said:
southsideeagle said:
I won tickets in a corporate box for the day .. I'm pretty excited.

I'll probably be over on the hill getting drenched BUT the atmosphere will be better.

Enjoy your corporate box mate, I have done that a few times as well its very nice indeed (and dry).

Thanks Mark .. I won at charity auction ... it was a hard bidding contest .. much prized in the Sutherland shire :p

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4