Glenn Stewart set for Test call-up

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Glenn Stewart set for Test call-up

By Dean Ritchie | August 01, 2008
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24107499-5006066,00.html

MANLY second-rower Glenn Stewart is today expected to receive the ultimate reward from rugby league by being selected to play for his country - alongside his brother Brett.

There is growing speculation that Stewart will this morning be named a preliminary 40-man Australian squad to contest the World Cup in October.

Then this evening, Stewart will run out on his home ground, Brookvale Oval, to play against Penrith.

"Manly fans never thought they would see Ben Kennedy replaced," said senior Manly official Peter Peters. "Glenn is no 'BK' but he had done a fantastic job since 'BK' retired a few years ago.

"I think he is the most consistent back-rower in the NRL.

"He has skills other forwards only dream about."

Manly props Josh Perry and Brent Kite are also being considered by Kangaroo selectors.

Perry and Kite will have a ferocious head-on confrontation tonight with Panthers champion Petero Civoniceva, one of the NRL's buys of the season.

Manly daily

Brother they're hot

Jason Avedissian

1 August 2008
http://manlydaily.com.au/article/2008/08/01/11381_sports.html

MANLY'S Stewart brothers are on the verge of being picked in the Australian squad this morning.

The Manly Daily understands Sea Eagles second-rower Glenn Stewart will join his brother Brett in a preliminary 40-man Australian squad named at 11am this morning for the season-ending World Cup.

Glenn's formidable form over the past two months has demanded his selection, while fullback Brett has been there before, playing a Test for Australia at the end of 2007.

The pair almost made their representative debut together for Country earlier in the year before Brett pulled out with a calf injury.

Selectors are set to reward the Sea Eagles outstanding efforts over the past three months with up to five players named in Ricky Stuart's extended squad.

The brothers are likely to be joined by fellow Manly stars Brent Kite, Josh Perry and possibly Anthony Watmough.

Jamie Lyon is still not available for selection while inspirational half Matt Orford is set to be overlooked again.

Barry Stewart, father of Brett and Glenn, did not want to "jinx" the prospect of his sons being named in the squad when contacted late yesterday.

"It would be fantastic," he said. "But I don't really want to jinx them. They were always happy to just play for Manly."

But now it appears they could be wearing the green and gold later this year.

Australia open their World Cup defence against New Zealand on Sunday, October 26, at the Sydney Football Stadium.

Meanwhile, Manly coach Des Hasler is expected to trim off NSW Cup pair Phil Morwood and Jeff Robson from his extended bench for tonight's tricky clash against the Panthers at Brookvale Oval.

Robson is 18th man and on cover for any possible late withdrawals ahead of the Panthers who will arrive confident of knocking off the Sea Eagles.

"With the atmosphere at Brookvale, if you can't get up for a game like this, you probably need to find another profession," Penrith coach Matt Elliott said yesterday.

I doubt Orford would get a look in.  They'd probably go for Thurston, Prince, Cronk and maybe some NSW no7.  Pfft.

In other news i really hope the part about Des dropping Morwood and Robson is true.  We need to be extra tough tonight.  And i also hope this rookie winger for the Panthers is playing opposite Williams...

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4