Glenn's progress

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

susan

Bencher
Gift probably played as bad as I have seen him for 40 minutes last night. Straightened up in second half and was much better.

But this whole debate re Glen is ridiculous.He is a hardened warrior coming off 2 major injuries playing in a depleted forward pack who is trying too hard to make his presence felt.Each week you see flashes of the stuff that made him an eagle legend and he will get better when he gets the finals scent in his nostrils.Even if he doesn't improve massively he is far better than the other options which leads me to the next point.

The flip side to this is the equally ridiculous talk about Hasson, Skinner etc taking gifts place while he has a stint in reserve grade.Young forwards drop in and out of games and make errors but the good ones show flashes of ability that make you stand up and take notice very early on.You could tell blokes like Cordner,Papali.Burgess,Docker etc were made for first grade straight away.

What I see in Hasson,Skinner,Gower is nothing.Simple as that.They look like fringe first graders/reserve graders at best.They play in a seconds side where the forwards are dominated basically every week and in the 3 or 4 games I have seen they don't stand out even at that level.The wraps that seem to be on Hasson amaze me to be honest. Against a z grade cowboys pack last night he was not sighted in the early exchanges.All these guys try but in my opinion lack class.

I have been on record as saying we wont match it with the best sides at the pointy end because of our injuries etc and I think that will end up being the case.But there is one area where we do have an advantage.We have blokes like Choc/Kite/Glen who have spilt maroon blood for years and know how to win big games under immense pressure-they get the job done even if they are not in top form.

Anyone who doesn't want Gift in a Manly jersey against the massive bunnies pack in a semi final is simply out of their mind.He knows how to get it done and has more class in his left pinky than those who would replace him.

RE: Glens progress

susan said:
Gift probably played as bad as I have seen him for 40 minutes last night. Straightened up in second half and was much better.

But this whole debate re Glen is ridiculous.He is a hardened warrior coming off 2 major injuries playing in a depleted forward pack who is trying too hard to make his presence felt.Each week you see flashes of the stuff that made him an eagle legend and he will get better when he gets the finals scent in his nostrils.Even if he doesn't improve massively he is far better than the other options which leads me to the next point.

The flip side to this is the equally ridiculous talk about Hasson, Skinner etc taking gifts place while he has a stint in reserve grade.Young forwards drop in and out of games and make errors but the good ones show flashes of ability that make you stand up and take notice very early on.You could tell blokes like Cordner,Papali.Burgess,Docker etc were made for first grade straight away.

What I see in Hasson,Skinner,Gower is nothing.Simple as that.They look like fringe first graders/reserve graders at best.They play in a seconds side where the forwards are dominated basically every week and in the 3 or 4 games I have seen they don't stand out even at that level.The wraps that seem to be on Hasson amaze me to be honest. Against a z grade cowboys pack last night he was not sighted in the early exchanges.All these guys try but in my opinion lack class.

I have been on record as saying we wont match it with the best sides at the pointy end because of our injuries etc and I think that will end up being the case.But there is one area where we do have an advantage.We have blokes like Choc/Kite/Glen who have spilt maroon blood for years and know how to win big games under immense pressure-they get the job done even if they are not in top form.

Anyone who doesn't want Gift in a Manly jersey against the massive bunnies pack in a semi final is simply out of their mind.He knows how to get it done and has more class in left pinky than those who would replace him.

Totally agree. Everyone bagging Gift have NFI.

Agree. Crazy talk about Gift. Although Hasson looks like he has more potential than just being a fringe first grader. You also said Foran was not a 5/8 :)

susan said:

Anyone who doesn't want Gift in a Manly jersey against the massive bunnies pack in a semi final is simply out of their mind.He knows how to get it done and has more class in his left pinky than those who would replace him.

Agree we need Glenn. What are your thoughts on Sao?

Agreed and the loss of Joe and Kingy will be a problem for us but we still have Kite,Ballin,Choc,Gift,Fa'aoso,Rose,Horo who have Grand finals experience. They will need to guide guys like Symonds, Lawrence,Hasson. How much finals experience is there at Souffs and Rorters?? I still feel that Souffs are in for a fall and won't make the Grand final. Roosters I think are going to make it so it's out of Storm,Manly,Dogs,Sharks for the other spot.

My only complaint is that after such a long time out with injury why play him for 80 minutes straight away.Why not give him a spell each half to maximise his effectiveness.

Mind you that was when we had Symonds warming the pine and no longer applies as he is now match fit.

Bit harsh on Hasson.

He is only 21 and has played a handful of minutes in FG. Give him time to develop and he will be a good one in the same mould as Lawrence. Gower and Skinner are definitely plodders.

Gift is a seasoned veteran no doubt. We need him in the team. Does anyone else think it is way to early to judge Hasson, Skinner and Gower though? Hasson in particular has the ability to kick on in the NRL. I don't think I want to write them off just yet.

Whilst the loyalty towards Gift expressed above is laudable, as Manly fans, all must concede the possibility that you are looking at his recent (post injury) on-field performances through maroon and white coloured glasses. If any 'new comer' displayed this kind of game, they would be instantly dropped. Why treat a reputation player differently?.

His first half last night was very poor. Bad options, pathetic passing, little discipline/ball security. His game improved somewhat in the second half. Yes, mainly because he attempted less.

The best way to get him back into some sort of 'semi-final form' is to play him from the bench as an impact player, and he should play a simple game and let the fineries work their way back into his game gradually. But in terms of playing straight, playing hard there are others who do it better. Albeit one of them is out injured. So MWSE are in a bit of a bind.

Will 2V will continue to select him to start matches regardless of what he does on field ?. Perhaps 2V is too close to the players.

I reckon he is playing injured. Tough as nails but is clearly wounded.

The improvement in his game after half time was remarkable. His first half was embarrassing for a guy of his talent.

He, with Choc are the leaders of our pack and thus the leaders of our march towards glory in 2013.

EagleFromMay1967 said:
Whilst the loyalty towards Gift expressed above is laudable, as Manly fans, all must concede the possibility that you are looking at his recent (post injury) on-field performances through maroon and white coloured glasses. If any 'new comer' displayed this kind of game, they would be instantly dropped. Why treat a reputation player differently?.

His first half last night was very poor. Bad options, pathetic passing, little discipline/ball security. His game improved somewhat in the second half. Yes, mainly because he attempted less.

The best way to get him back into some sort of 'semi-final form' is to play him from the bench as an impact player, and he should play a simple game and let the fineries work their way back into his game gradually. But in terms of playing straight, playing hard there are others who do it better. Albeit one of them is out injured. So MWSE are in a bit of a bind.

Will 2V will continue to select him to start matches regardless of what he does on field ?. Perhaps 2V is too close to the players.

Are you kidding me? Why treat a reputation player differently? Glenn is a proven match winner, State of Origin and International Rep player. Everyone has forgetable games. Putting him to the bench would be dumb. Glenn just needs to pick his confidence up a little, can't do that sitting on the bench.

The old saying 'form is temporary, class is permanent' to me applies to Gift. He is not playing great, but I think he is improving, and we all know what he is capable of.

It's like in state of origin, Hayne and Bird can be playing absolutely pathetic at club level, yet they play Origin and grow another leg, as they are quality players (in my opinion). And the same is to be said of Gift. It will click, and our right side will be scary!

I am making my judgement of Hasson etc more on their performance in reserve grade.They should not be expected to be world beaters early in first grade(although the good ones show glimpses early) but they should stand out in a weak competition.In what I have seen they don't.

Putting my head out to have it chopped off but all the good forwards I have seen show a lot more early than the guys I am talking about.

On the other hand Ligi has potential and Chee Kam,Gutherson and Jake have to physically develop before anyone could make a call but the early signs are good.My comments were based on the guys 2V is using now and they offer very little.

Can't agree entirely with the OP Susan made.

I am not saying Glen should be dropped to reggies but I was saying he needs to make way more for Symonds to play whilst he found his feet again. Has played 3 good patches in the 8 games or so since he has been back but is still hurting the side big time during his poor patches and in those close games we have had recently he was probably the difference between us winning and losing and may well cost us a top 4 spot in the scheme of things.

Last night we got away with it against poor opposition but a mid range team like the panthers would probably have got on top of us.

Right now we have no one better to replace him (until Symonds comes back) so he needs to keep playing and hopefully continues on the 2nd half play from last night.

As for the views on Skinner and Gower agree completely but for Hasson completely disagree. The bloke makes good impact, tackles hard and has good speed and skills. He is only 21 and played a handful of games. The 22 year gift has 20 games and still looked like he was only there to keep his brother happy (and probably was) so I wouldn't be writing this guy off yet. Next year the Hass will play a much bigger part in this team.

Last nights game against the weakest forward opposition an NRL team will likely face was a perfect chance for young blokes to stand up and really pitch their claim.Didnt happen.

susan said:
Last nights game against the weakest forward opposition an NRL team will likely face was a perfect chance for young blokes to stand up and really pitch their claim.Didnt happen.

Hasson only got 35 minutes but managed pretty similar effort to Horo who was on for 72. Lawrence wasn't on fire either. Why - well we fired the ball sideways through the backline most of the night.

How long did it take gift to pitch a claim, more than 20 matches.

susan said:
I am making my judgement of Hasson etc more on their performance in reserve grade.They should not be expected to be world beaters early in first grade(although the good ones show glimpses early) but they should stand out in a weak competition.In what I have seen they don't.

Putting my head out to have it chopped off but all the good forwards I have seen show a lot more early than the guys I am talking about.

On the other hand Ligi has potential and Chee Kam,Gutherson and Jake have to physically develop before anyone could make a call but the early signs are good.My comments were based on the guys 2V is using now and they offer very little.
Your Judgement is pretty accurate . Well said .

Its a pretty fair summary.
Glen is a must to have ANY chance of winning in 2013.
When ppl speak of replacing him with a NSW Cup player just cant get the logic, Stewart at 30% is the better option & even just his presence is needed to nurture those around him.
Has struggled at times since returning due to match fitness & carrying injury & trying to hard which is not a crime compared to others under performing due to not having a go.
The thing is the players, fans & opposition realise how integral Gift is to the team & imo he has tried to overplay his hand at times due to this tag, needing to simplify his game playing direct till he gets closer to 100%.
If Manly go all the way this year, Gift will be part of the core playing group that makes it happen.
Agree 99% Susan but regardless of physical developement Trobovic, Sao & Gutherson will be quality NRL players imo.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4