Goldberg Gone

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Wheel

https://membership.seaeagles.com.au/
Premium Member
Grant Goldman announces retirement
Manly Sea Eagles
Thursday, 11 March 2010
The “Voice of Brookvale Oval” Grant Goldman today informed the Sea Eagles that he would stand down from his position as ground announcer after 30 years of loyal service.

Goldman took over the role at the start of the 1979 season and quickly established himself as one of the most colorful announcers in the game of Rugby League. It is estimated he has been behind the microphone for 350+ games.

The 2SM breakfast announcer declared full time at Brookvale because of family commitments.

He has eight children with the recent addition of prematurely born Alexandria.

“I have loved every minute of my time with the club and I will continue to support them as strongly as ever.

“Brookvale is a family orientated ground which although in a state of disrepair has a special place in the hearts of the people of the northern beaches.

“I have had the best seat in the ground at some memorable games and been able to call tries scored by some unbelieveable players.I have had the honour of calling out some all time greats – there have beentoo many to mention them all but I loved Steve Menzies and the manner in which he conducted himself on and off the field.

"Picking the right time to go has been on my mind for some time and perhaps I should have let the club and supporters know a little earlier - I apologise for that," Goldman said today.

Goldman’s classic “Beeever” call will remain with many Manly fans for a long time.

Manly CEO Graham Lowe played Goldman a glowing tribute.

“When I was coach of Manly 20 years ago he was highly professional and I think he set the standard for all ground announcers in the League.

“He was the voice of the Olympics in Sydney in 2000 and steps down at the top of his profession.

“On behalf of the members and supporters I thank him for 30 years of loyal service,”Lowe said.

The Sea Eagles will today start the search for Goldman’s replacement.

LOL, my 1st thought was surprise that Bill Goldberg had died and wondered why it was on the league forum !! Took me back 12 years haha

I'll do the job....you can just hear me over the loudspeakers:-

a) Come on Bailey you useless lump of turd...play the ball faster damn you !;
b) Step it up Mataiiiiiiiiiiii (Got that one from Mata);

Anyone else got any calls that may offend?

Hmm thats a shame, that was a highlight for me to going to games at brooky, yes most of the calls were very corny but I had grown up with him annoucing at brooky most of my life so for me its a shame to see him go.

I liked Goldman too! Will be a different feel around the ground now. Maybe his son will take over

Duff link said:
I hope we don't get some dick like the ones at Periff or Cronulla.

They'd still be better than the genius from Melbourne;

"Ryan Hoffman, hits the hard"

Heres to his son taking over. Grant has been one of the highlights of Brooky for quite sometime & I wish him all the best.

Goldman was an idiot.  I well remember him talking down the chances of Penriff beating us at Brooky and them going on to annihilate us.  I thought at the time as they ran on to the ground, that his rant will rile them up to a big game.  And it did.  His 'Beeeever' call irritated me, as it might have the great man himself.  The team Grant, the team, you ****quit.  Good riddance.     

The fellow was vilified by opposition fans and subject to much complaint.  Which means he did a top job and will be sorely missed.  Well done.

Matabele link said:
The fellow was vilified by opposition fans and subject to much complaint.  Which means he did a top job and will be sorely missed.  Well done.

I've no idea why. The wost he'd do is yell out "Lets go Manly" or something of the like. That's kinda gay but not as bad as the rest of them.

The Penriff guy actually starts chanting "Penriff clap clap clap" over the PA as do the Tigers & Sharks guys. THAT is worth complaining about.
I guess it lets the morons in those grounds know when to chant.

The Manly reserves were playing North Sydney a couple of years back. Billy Slater was in the Norths side as he was coming back from injury (I think he  also managed to score their only try).

Anyway Manly flogged Norths and Goldie says at the end of the game after announcing the full time score: 'Billy Slater.....welcome to North Sydney'

One of the best calls I ever heard him make  ;D

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8