Got my Kindle today

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
I had some gift vouchers for Amazon from work for winning a few internal prizes.

So I decided I would get a kindle. I wanted the DX but decided it was too much extra so got my Kindle for virtually nothing.

I read a lot of books and in fact after our recent move have about 4 boxes of them stored (i need to sell them)

So the thought is that I should be able to save money as ebooks are cheaper and I should be able to store a whole lot more.

I usually have to buy my books online as it is, because there just aren't any decent book stores up here. The second hand book stores never have the books I want either.

So this should save time and dollars.

Reading the screen I am amazed at how much it looks like paper as well. Truly incredible. Now I just want to get it charged so I can put a book on there and truly test it out.

Dan

Would be interested in hearing how you go Dan, i have an entire wal taken up by a homemade bookshelf and am always buying the bloody things, but have been resisting the ebook urge.

I have wanted one for a while it was just a matter of which one. The screen seems ok, smaller than a standard page but will have to see once I read a book on it.

Going to buy one tonight and start out and let you know

I read about a start up in Japan that takes all your old books and converts them into ebooks

Pretty good I thinks....but not possible in Aus due to copyright laws

Loving the Kindle. A day later my cheapo cover from China turned up so great timing.

With the cover it feels like you are reading a book. Very lightweight and really good. the screen is amazing.

I tested it by loading a whole lot of books on there, and the search can be a little slow but nothing that is really too worrying. With 1000 books I didnt expect any real rate of knots.

But actually reading and going page to page is lightening fast.

My only criticism is that the screen is smaller than a standard page, as such you fit less on each page. But as I am getting used to it, I actually dont mind it. You don't lose continuity.

The DX would be better but the screen may be too big then.

I like the feature where it tells you how far through you are at the bottom.....i.e. 5% etc

Screen: 9 out of 10 better if it were bigger
Readability: Screen is easier on the eyes than a book - 10 out of 10
Look and feel: 8 out of 10 without cover, 9 out of 10 with cover

without the cover it feels a little like a kitchen tile, it is very lightweight and once you get going is very easy to use. With the cover is as good as a book, and great for travel as its so small, lightweight and slender will fit pretty much in your pocket.

Excellent device. If you know someone that has one take a look first to see if it is for you. Now that I have it. Am very pleased

I got one for my birthday last year and love it!
Not sure if you have found the function yet Re page size, but depending on how good your eyes are you can change the font size to give you more text per page.
I travel a fair bit and read a great deal so great to be able to have a selection of books all easily available so that is a plus.
e-books are cheaper than their paper version so again a plus and as I'm in the process of packing up to move house (again!) then there will be a pile of books outside my place come clean up day!
Down side - not all the books I've wanted to read have been available as kindle versions (I had to ask my young nephew bring some over from the UK at Christmas when I had family to stay)
But overall - very happy with it and find it very easy to use.

If you can find them in another eBook format you can convert them to .mobi or PDF

I got one for my wife a year or so back and she loves it. Not as many books available in Australia apparently so she registered a account in the US and now has a much larger selection, they are also cheaper apparently.

You can buy them from other sources and convert them to .mobi and then dump them onto your kindle.

Makes it easier to source books.

They are backlit and as such bad for your eyes. Also battery life is horrible. Kindle lasts 1 month on a single charge.

iPad is great for browsing the web and playing games.

Kindle is great for reading books.

I was considering getting one but I would like to also use it for textbooks when available online (the cost seems substantially less).

What would you think of using it for that purpose dan, given the frequent page flicking ect; also how is the resolution of the screen for diagrams and so on?

fLIP said:
I was considering getting one but I would like to also use it for textbooks when available online (the cost seems substantially less).

What would you think of using it for that purpose dan, given the frequent page flicking ect; also how is the resolution of the screen for diagrams and so on?

Page flicking is no drama there are two small buttons on each side of the kindle to flick back and forth.

As for diagrams they look fine. The resolution is exactly what you would expect on a standard book. It looks so much like it is printed in a book that it is uncanny. I am truly amazed by it.

The only issue is it is black and white.

You can highlight text, add book marks, notes and annotations. Really really awesome.

Fro said:
Where did you find the best place to source them?

Anywhere online. If you can find it in PDF or .mobi format then you are fine. If you find them in another ebook format just download a free converter and convert them to .mobi and dump them to the kindle

Just buy direct from Amazon.

I prefer getting direct warranties

Postage is $20 but if it is faulty or needs replacing they pay return postage and everything.

My first one got lost in the mail. I sent in an email and they ordered me a replacement, the original turned up about 3 hours after putting in the lost in the post order.

They re-ordered it on Thursday afternoon, it turned up at the door this afternoon and I just rejected delivery and all is good.

It should only take a few days if you are in the city. I think a 2 day turn around from china to your door.

Just don't watch the dhl tracker it drives you nuts with anticipation

I read a LOT of books, apart from the footy and a few bits of news I virtually watch nothing on TV (pay or otherwise) these days. SO...was thinking about one of these as well....forget I-Pad (sorry Matas) I need something small enough to pop into my bag that I carry to work and back each day (train) but be able to read (given that I need glasses to do so). Now I have talked to a few people and they have bought other versions, so why Kindle over other options??

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8