Gould has lost it

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
From tonight: "If any other team was playing the Broncos, and I mean ANY other team, then they would be leading by 30."

Doubt it Gus.

Is this the idiot quote of the finals? Any to beat it?

I think he has been sitting too close to the exhaust pipe when driving to the games.

He is so horribly annoying. I had the pleasure of listening to Andrew Moore call the game whilst I was painting a room. It was much better. Switched over to 9 whilst I took a break and gave up on it. Can't stand gus

There's an article in the DT i think and the dumb reporter said the exact same thing. Any other team and the Broncos would have put on a cricket score. Bias much? Trying to make them sound herculean. If they were that good then they would have put more points on. Fact: They didn't.

Bronco fans are try ing to say we are scared of them. Personally I don't think if we come out and bash them in the first half like we did against the Cowboys they'll fall away.

Gould has his favourite players that he continually goes on about. His favourite towars the end of season was Galloway. Some of the crap he goes on about it realy stupid and distrcting from the game. He should stick to his print media only I say.

eagles2win said:
It depends he said it was our time in '08

He also said it would be Tigers vs Dragons GF this year...umm...

eagles2win said:
Bronco fans are try ing to say we are scared of them. Personally I don't think if we come out and bash them in the first half like we did against the Cowboys they'll fall away.

yeah, good on them. Truth of the matter is we would rather them because we are NOT scared of them. In fact, if they think a few weeks ago was something to be proud of then they really should look at the team they were playing against instead of having their heads up their arses like they have all season.

ManlyBacker said:
From tonight: "If any other team was playing the Broncos, and I mean ANY other team, then they would be leading by 30."

Doubt it Gus.

The last plausible words he said were when Manly were playing Melbourne '...Melbourne will not beat Manly this year. Not even with two Cronks..':D

Sure Gould can get a little carried away at times, but he's got a lot of love for our team and given huge raps on some our boys when others haven't in the past.

His pearler for me was late in the second half: "If you are the St George coach you want your team to be next to score"

As opposed to the St George coach wanting the opposition to run a few quick ones in?

I had a giggle at that comment too MB, it was clearly tongue-in-cheek for dramatic effect.

You can love or hate Gould, but he's a rare breed. At a time when it seems virtually no other journalist or commentator is willing to say it like it is, for fear of NRL/News Ltd backlashes, here's what Gould wrote:

Gallop should walk after Storm slur
PHIL GOULD
18 Sep, 2011 12:00 AM

David Gallop should resign. His disgraceful comments directed at the Melbourne Storm fans last week comparing them to terrorists should be the last straw. Not to mention the insensitivity of the timing of this remark on an even larger scale.

I cannot tell you how many calls and messages I have received expressing their disgust at his misguided and emotional outburst. Gallop's deplorable retort is typical of the over-sensitive, highly reactionary management culture he brings to the NRL. He cannot deal with criticism or anything that remotely infers he is not doing a great job. The constant stream of self-promotion and the seconding of Gallop-friendly journalists to push his status or cover for his mistakes are now so obvious to everyone. It's getting very boring.

It's obvious there is no one with the authority or courage in the NRL to sack Gallop. It is also obvious Gallop lives under a blanket of protection from his friends at News Ltd, which also owns the game of rugby league. Had it been any other prominent person in the country who had made such an embarrassing statement, you can only imagine how they would have been slammed by that section of the media until action was taken to remove them from their important position of office.

No one else in the game is going to speak out against Gallop and demand his sacking because they know they too would be vilified for daring to criticise their man.

This is the environment that has existed under Gallop's leadership of the NRL and News Ltd's ownership of the game. If you dare to speak out against their authority you will be publicly slammed so that you get the message to sit down and shut up. Other NRL club chief executives tell me they also fear backlashes against their clubs in other ways if they don't toe the party line.

I can speak from my own experience in this regard, not to mention the pressure on my employers to shut up. Still, I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees.

I seriously doubt Gallop would win an election among the 16 NRL clubs to get the role of chief executive under the new independent commission if this was put to a vote.

The Storm fans were entitled to voice their protest. They didn't throw any objects. They didn't threaten him with physical attack. It was simply boos and jeers.

The last time I looked Australia was a democracy. They were well within their rights.

Of course, the major point of all of this is that the real truth about the whole Melbourne Storm salary cap story is yet to be told. Gallop keeps saying he is comfortable with the decisions he made and the penalties handed down. Of course, these and other matters concerning the Storm breaches were never tested under oath in court. The full story is guaranteed to emerge one day; of this you can be guaranteed.

In the meantime though, our game deserves new leadership. I speak with other NRL club officials, government officials, venue managers, major sponsors and trading partners and they are always comparing the negotiations they have with the NRL to those dealings they enjoy with other sporting codes. To say our game is off the pace would be an understatement. Mind you, none of this will ever be written while a media company owns the game and controls how our history is being recorded.

There are a lot of great people working in the NRL and ARL departments and many do an outstanding job. However, it's the game's leadership and unworkable ownership that lets them down. Hopefully this will change soon.

http://www.thecourier.com.au/news/national/national/sport/gallop-should-walk-after-storm-slur/2295396.aspx

Sorry I'm a Gus fan. Hes passionate and is league man unlike the news ltd nrl blow ins

I'm not a fan of the "White Haired boy" but at times, he does say some interesting! Always worth a listen on his preview or review but hate his dribble during commentry!!

eagles2win said:

I would be interested to find out why they think that.They have beaten us once in their last 7 starts at Suncorp(and that was with half the side out last week) and I cant remember the last time they won at Brookie.Interesting Semis next week with the Warriors having a good record against Melbourne and Manly having real dominance over Broncos.

Having said that momentum is a big thing and they have it.That was a quality game and it will take a good defensive side like us to beat them.I think it is a genuine even money bet.Will be interesting to see the betting.Assuming Lockyer plays I would suggest something like $1.85 Manly $2.05 Brisbane.

ManlyBacker said:

Doubt it Gus.

We are not just ANY other team , we are The Mighty Sea Eagles and the Broncos were not very convincing when they just beat a depleted Manly side in Brisbane . Lockyer has had his fairwell in Brisbane and We will end his Fairy tail in Sydney This week. The party is over Broncos.!!!

I dont mind him but he does think he put the air into footballs world wide. Must confess that 30 point call was the most ridiculous for some time & the Dragons team that beat Manly at Win has not been back anywhere near that nights form since. If i could have reached through the telly & given him a few uppercuts I would have - 6 of the best!! ;)

I respect his opinion no natter what because he has been there and coached at the highest level.

But, on wwos this morning, there was no mention of how the sea eagles play when he gave his view for next week, he's thinking the fairytale will continue easily.

Didn't manly make the biggest score in a half of finals football since 1944 or whatever the date was? Surely that's a bit more applaudable than beating a very crappy warriors side (cracked under pressure?) and then only just beat the dragons who, let's face it, everyone (at least on this site) had as written off.

It will be close next week, but am confident the boys will pull through.

I think it was the biggest score in one half ever in finals footy
twitchk said:
I respect his opinion no natter what because he has been there and coached at the highest level.

But, on wwos this morning, there was no mention of how the sea eagles play when he gave his view for next week, he's thinking the fairytale will continue easily.

Didn't manly make the biggest score in a half of finals football since 1944 or whatever the date was? Surely that's a bit more applaudable than beating a very crappy warriors side (cracked under pressure?) and then only just beat the dragons who, let's face it, everyone (at least on this site) had as written off.

It will be close next week, but am confident the boys will pull through.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4