Grand Final in Brisbane?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I can understand the NRL's reasoning behind it, but I think its a bit of a dumb move. Suncorp holds 31,500 less than ANZ currently does. That's a lot of people who would miss out on going simply because of Suncorp's smaller capacity.

Even though there is now a new Adelaide Oval and there is ANZ in Sydney, plus Perth is going to have a new 70k stadium within the next decade (which will host Aussie rules, cricket and big rugby and soccer games as well as athletics), I can't see the AFL ever moving their GF from the 100,000 seat MCG. Ok, maybe they will in time, but don't expect it to happen any time soon.

Tell Queensland they're dreaming! The AFL is a national competition and there is no chat about moving their grand final away from Melbourne.

I predict that Dave Smith will be gone long before any decision like that is taken!

I bet it never happens.

There's no way Suncorp will be extended to 85k seating, and the only reason Sydney has one of those is the Olympics, and it's very very doubtful Brisbane will ever b an Olympics, so Sydney GF's in my opinion will remain for a very long long time.

If two interstate clubs are in the GF, just how many will pay to watch it at Homebush?
This will almost certainly be the lowest crowd for a GF since it moved to ANZ.

If two interstate clubs are in the GF, just how many will pay to watch it at Homebush?
Same applies up there. If 2 sydney team play at suncorp they wont fill it

2006 NRL grand final Melbourne Storm v Brisbane Broncos - Attendance 79,609
I would say it would be around the same as '06 again. May be higher if Cows play the Donkeys.

I can understand it if Cows were to play donkeys. It does however give the donkeys home advantage.

it wont happen simply for the fact that suncorp is too small.

I doubt that seating capacity would play a major role in this decision. This would come down to state governments paying for the privilege of hosting the game. The NRL would be stupid to move the game up there for any reason other than financial.

For me, you look at the representation Qld have in the GF since it was moved to Homebush, it does not justify them having it. Get a team there often enough and then there might be a case.

1999 NRL Grand Final - Syd x 1
2000 NRL Grand Final - Syd x 1 Qld x 1
2001 NRL Grand Final - Syd(ish) x 2
2002 NRL Grand Final - Syd x 1
2003 NRL Grand Final - Syd x 2
2004 NRL Grand Final - Syd x 2
2005 NRL Grand Final - Syd x 1 Qld x 1
2006 NRL Grand Final - Qld x 1
2007 NRL Grand Final - Syd x 1
2008 NRL Grand Final - Syd x 1
2009 NRL Grand Final - Syd x 1
2010 NRL Grand Final - Syd x 2
2011 NRL Grand Final - Syd x 1
2012 NRL Grand Final - Syd x 1
2013 NRL Grand Final - Syd x 2
2014 NRL Grand Final - Syd x 2

3 representations from a Qld team, and 21 representations from a Sydney team (I am counting Knights in that, they count Townsville as close to Suncorp !!).

They can get stuffed.

For me, you look at the representation Qld have in the GF since it was moved to Homebush, it does not justify them having it. Get a team there often enough and then there might be a case.

1999 NRL Grand Final - Syd x 1
2000 NRL Grand Final - Syd x 1 Qld x 1
2001 NRL Grand Final - Syd(ish) x 2
2002 NRL Grand Final - Syd x 1
2003 NRL Grand Final - Syd x 2
2004 NRL Grand Final - Syd x 2
2005 NRL Grand Final - Syd x 1 Qld x 1
2006 NRL Grand Final - Qld x 1
2007 NRL Grand Final - Syd x 1
2008 NRL Grand Final - Syd x 1
2009 NRL Grand Final - Syd x 1
2010 NRL Grand Final - Syd x 2
2011 NRL Grand Final - Syd x 1
2012 NRL Grand Final - Syd x 1
2013 NRL Grand Final - Syd x 2
2014 NRL Grand Final - Syd x 2

3 representations from a Qld team, and 21 representations from a Sydney team (I am counting Knights in that, they count Townsville as close to Suncorp !!).

They can get stuffed.
3 qld and 2 NZ - surely NZ have an argument almost as strong? Actually it would be kinda cool to stage a game in the mud at eden park or somewhere like that one year.

The 2006 GF between the Donkeys and Drizzle is the only GF played at ANZ that hasn't attracted at least 80,000 to the game. Though it must be said that 79,609 is pretty close. Its also the only GF in the history of the competition that hasn't included at least one Sydney based team.

Why is it Queenslanders think they are entitled to everything? There is a very good chance that this years AFL Grand Final will involve both Perth based clubs and no one is complaining that the game is being played in Melbourne. Most are happy that its at a ground that can hold as many as it does (the MCG's official capacity is 100,024).

Someone should tell the banana benders that Suncorp Stadium isn't the be all and end all of rugby league venues. Personally I think that the NRL should do something similar to the NFL. Over there the Super Bowl can't be held in a venue that does not seat at least 70,000. The NRL should do that here to.

Last edited:
The Bongos came into the NSWRL comp in 1988.
You can't be invited into someone's house, pay some board, but the odd case of beer then claim it's your house.

Something doesn't smell right with this. The last time a fuss was made about moving the GF to Brisbane.....the Donkeys and News Ltd. went and enticed just under half the competition to join them in a rebel competition.

In reality 80% of tickets are sold well in advance of people knowing.

In my " Mark from Moree" days I used to buy 50 tickets a year and take a bus load of people down for the weekend , they didn't care who was playing.

Loads of people go regardless of who is playing, so the concept of " they wouldn't fill Suncorp of two Sydney sides were playing" doesn't cut it, in fact with advance sales it would be full in a matter of days after coming in sale.

The chances of it every making its way up here is buckleys and none, purely based on the 35k extra seats the NRL would have to give up.

Oh sure the QLD government might bid for it BUT are they going to also stump up the loss of maybe 35,000 seats at say an average of $140..........very very doubtful

Something doesn't smell right with this. The last time a fuss was made about moving the GF to Brisbane.....the Donkeys and News Ltd. went and enticed just under half the competition to join them in a rebel competition.
This time we should go with them.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4