Great News

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
MANLY second-rower Anthony Watmough is set to remain at the Sea Eagles on a long-term deal.

The Manly Daily understands Watmough is virtually all sealed up on a four-year deal that will ensure he sees out his NRL career at the Sea Eagles.

The rich contract will put him among the top half-dozen paid forwards in the game.

Watmough was on Monday with the All Stars team at a rugby league community clinic in Blacktown.

The 26-year-old was coy about his future when asked, even admitting he could test himself on the open market.

“I actually wanted to have it sorted by now,” Watmough told the Daily.

More
http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/new-deal-will-put-him-among-top-six-best-paid-forwards/][url=http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/new-deal-will-put-him-among-top-six-best-paid-forwards/]http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/new-deal-will-put-him-among-top-six-best-paid-forwards/

"The 26-year-old was coy about his future when asked, even admitting he could test himself on the open market."

That's not such great news to me. Meh, we lose Choc, we make a huge play for Mateo who is off contract.

Like Lowe says: He doesn't wanna be here - see ya later.

Ryan link said:
\"The 26-year-old was coy about his future when asked, even admitting he could test himself on the open market.\"

That's not such great news to me. Meh, we lose Choc, we make a huge play for Mateo who is off contract.

Choc has much more reason to stay loyal to the club than Mateo ,for example, ever would.

The two are leagues apart in what they would do for the team anyway. Manly doesn't need another ball playing 2nd rower with Gifty & Bailey (Unfortunate, but something we have to live with for another two seasons) in the team. If we were going to lose Choc, Mateo is definately not the player to be going after to replace him.

As long as he's not 'coy' on the field I'm very happy for Choc to be an Eagle forever

Ryan link said:
\"The 26-year-old was coy about his future when asked, even admitting he could test himself on the open market.\"

Mateo hasnt been anywhere near as effective as Choc, Ryan. Surely you would prefer the proven Choc to a maybe Mateo.

Hey Ryan, quick question.

If a competitor of yours offered you an extra $50k a year to do the same job you do now, and your employer was unwilling/unable to match that offer, what would you do?

$50K less tax = $25K pa (approx)
less loss of accrued eligibility to long service leave
less loss of accrued sick leave

If I was placed in the same position the additional $50K is not what it seems. Like Choc I like the place where I work and the extra cash probably wouldn't be enough for me to leave.

Liking where you work is worth a lot in terms of your job, sometimes it is not always about money.

Perhaps there are still some truths to this whole melbourne rumour too

Pete I suggest you would be in the minority.

The average wage in Australia is about $70k from memory. I'm pretty sure most would jump ship for a 33% pay increase.

"The Manly Daily understands Watmough is virtually all sealed up on a four-year deal that will ensure he sees out his NRL career at the Sea Eagles."

Given he is 26, are we now led to believe the mandatory NRL retirement age has dropped to 30 ?

Good news if he hangs around, he was our best forward this year and still has some improvement in him I reckon. He has reduced the amount of brain explosions, dropsies and stupid penalties that used to afflict his game and undo the good stuff he delivered. If he can keep working on those aspects of his game he will be a key part of our arsenal. Let's hope we get a halves pairing that can utilise his running game.

As for Mateo, I'd personally jump at the chance to sign him. He is a very talented footballer, and in my opinion has more attacking ability/options than Choc. His problem lays in his attitude though and he gives the impression he can just cruise through games without applying himself for the full 80, both in attack and defence. When he wants to turn it on with ball in hand he has got the ability to break the line, off load or ball play. He outplayed Hayne in the GF last year when he came on, and looked the only one likely to spark something for the Eels.

Chip & Chase link said:
His problem lays in his attitude though and he gives the impression he can just cruise through games without applying himself for the full 80, both in attack and defence.

And therein is the difference C&C. Mateo didnt have the influence or tutelage of Kennedy. And if that influence remains Choc can still improve.

I'd MUCH rather have Choc, than play against a team that has him in it that is against us. Definitely, I would MUCH rather him than Mateo. I'd much rather him than any other backrower in the game.

I could see Choc turning into the next Beaver (on field performance that is) if this contract goes throrugh, with his loyalty and good try scoring record, but without the versatility.

What is chocs tries per game to beavers currently?

I would like to keep Choc but I would love to have a player like Mateo as well. Put him with us and he would be a sensation, either at 5/8 or lock. Am I being greedy?

clontaago link said:
Pete I suggest you would be in the minority.

The average wage in Australia is about $70k from memory. I'm pretty sure most would jump ship for a 33% pay increase.
  You asked Pete to compare two apples and then made one a pear.  $50k is not a great deal extra for someone on Choc's money, and Pete makes a good point the additional would probably be chewed up in moving costs and if he moves interstate, catching up with family when time allows.  When being paid $500kpa then another 10% would be unlikely to entice me interstate or overseas to be honest.

The 50K was just a figure I pulled out as a general example. The difference could be twice that much or more, especially in the case of Kieren Foran.

I wasnt just referring to Choc.

Dan link said:
Perhaps there are still some truths to this whole melbourne rumour too
That's right,Dan.I've noticed that no-one in authority at Melbourne has confirmed or denied their interest.This story still has legs.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4