Greatest ever juniors?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Honourable mentions too to the likes of ‘Pogo’ Morgan, Billy Bradstreet, Daniel Gartner and Alec Tennant.
All great players . Thought of " Pogo " Morgan and Bill Bradstreet but was not sure of their background . Did not think of Alex Tennant , same with Daniel Gartner but was aware he was a Manly junior and what a special talent

So they had 3 nominees for each award position. Would be good to see the nominees. Probably Daniel was one for second row but lost to choc and beaver.

In the old "bash & barge" days with only a one yard ruck, he was up there with the best, including the great St George team of 11 premierships.

I watched him single handedly win a game on a mud paddock at the SCG, taking every 2nd hit up (no tackle counts), for a gain of 3 - 4 yards, starting from his own try line to the other end, scoring the winning points.

The only way you knew it was Roy was the bald head as the mud wouldn't stick to it.

Inspirational!
The citation by Wok Bulmer at the MWRLFC AGM on why Roy Bull should have been honoured at the new CoE was awesome..

The citation by Wok Bulmer at the MWRLFC AGM on why Roy Bull should have been honoured at the new CoE was awesome..
Pretty good record - 23 tests for Australia. Possibly most ever for a Sea Eagle??
B30C1475-0E3C-4195-A0E4-094024B46BF1.jpeg

Honourable mentions too to the likes of ‘Pogo’ Morgan, Billy Bradstreet, Daniel Gartner and Alec Tennant.
Really nice to see Daniel Gartner there, still looking fit and well. He was always underrated, probably because he was playing beside the greatest backrower I have ever seen (Beaver Menzies), but I loved watching him play. The Menzies-Gartner-Kosef backrow is up there with the very best we've had.

How many clubs do we still have fielding teams in the junior league? There’s a lot of completion with other sports such as Newport Rugby Club etc.

Really nice to see Daniel Gartner there, still looking fit and well. He was always underrated, probably because he was playing beside the greatest backrower I have ever seen (Beaver Menzies), but I loved watching him play. The Menzies-Gartner-Kosef backrow is up there with the very best we've had.

100% with you Ron E. Garts career got royally done over by the Beagles mess.

In 1995-97 Manly had the best backrow combo in the comp. They were all still under 25 years old in the 1997 GF.

Less than 2 years after the 1997 GF, the backrow combo was gone. As shown by Beaver, it could have gone for another decade.

Beaver played another 11 SEASONS. But Garts left after 2000 being ignored by the Beagles, while Kosef's knees were deteriorating & he retired after 2002.

With the end of Manly in 1999 came the Beagles merger in 2000. The merged club had many backrowers, including Adam Muir and Owen Cunningham.

For the Beagles era the combo of Kosef, Garts & Beaver would last just 4 games. However the three never played as a (selected) backrow combo for the Beagles (maybe there was sometime in a game it happened at a scrum, but who knows).

The three last played together in the starting 13 in the Beagles second ever game in 2000. A 22-8 loss to Canberra, with Adam Muir picked in the backrow pushing Menzies into the centres.

They last played together in Rd 4 of 2000 with Gartner starting from the bench in a 21-20 win v Dragons at Gosford.

Garts wasn't chosen in Rd 5 onwards. When he came back in Rd 8, it was more or less to replace Kosef who did his knee in Rd 7 vs Sharks in 30-2 win at Brookie.

A busted-up Manly side in 1999 also put Menzies in the centres and Kosef at 5/8th at various times.

The last time all three played in the backrow was on 11 July 1999 Manly vs Wests Magpies in a 48-32 win at Brookie. That game is remembered for the celebrations that day for Cliff Lyons reaching 300 games.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8