Greatest local derby in Rugby League - Manly vs. North Sydney

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

girvie

Who else thinks that Manly vs. Norths games are the greatest local derby in rugby league?

This weekend Manly are playing Jersey Flegg and Premier League against the Bears at North Sydney Oval on Sunday. Premier League starts at 3pm.

The Bears actually have 4 players in their line-up who were with Manly last year (Karl Johnson, Daniel Watkins, Aaron Trinder and Brendan Crabb).

I will be going to watch these games. It will be great.

Who else is going?

I have to admit - nothing was better than rocking up to North Sydney Oval on a Friday night, and watching Manly wallop Norths in the mid-90s. I particularly remember a game I think in 1995 which we won 36-6. Actually, the first rugby league game I ever went to was a Norths v Manly match, in the late 80s I think, in which we lost.

I loved the local derbies. On my wedding day in 83 Max Krilich kicked a goal from the sideline to beat the bears. My bride is still not impressed I had a radio with an earphone to hear the last minutes whilst the photos were being taken!!!!!

Booooooring....if you want some decent Bears versus Manly games...I'm sure I could scratch up a few on DVD !!!

I fondly remember Gary Larson snapping Terry Two Tongues Hill in 1/2 at Bear Park. I was sitting under the old fig that night.....

That was the year The Bears had a home final....Manly didn't. Just think of the team The Bears would have now if still in the comp (well, a nucleus of a team):-

02. Brett Dallas
03. Matt King
07. Matt Orford
08. Mark O'Mealey
10. Paul Stringer
11. Glenn Morrison
12. Kyle Arnold

I wonder if there are other big name Bears out there?

The reason i follow Manly ,was because when i was 5 ,my Dad (a North Sydney player in his day) took me to watch his Bears play Manly at North Sydney oval.Manly won that day & i have followed them ever since ,(to my dads horror). I still remember sitting in the big oak tree there watching the footy .That oval was a awesome old school rugby league atmosphere to it ..

Booooooring....if you want some decent Bears versus Manly games...I'm sure I could scratch up a few on DVD !!!

I fondly remember Gary Larson snapping Terry Two Tongues Hill in 1/2 at Bear Park. I was sitting under the old fig that night.....

That was the year The Bears had a home final....Manly didn't. Just think of the team The Bears would have now if still in the comp (well, a nucleus of a team):-

02. Brett Dallas
03. Matt King
07. Matt Orford
08. Mark O'Mealey
10. Paul Stringer
11. Glenn Morrison
12. Kyle Arnold

I wonder if there are other big name Bears out there?
the little man shows his true colours in this thread.
THe only thing i miss about the bear scum being dead is that we dont get to give the a toweling twice a year like we used to.

Im certain there would be almost no one alive now from when they one their 1.5 premierships (one of the years they won the season was cut short because of the war)

What war was their in 1921 and 1922?

I think the worst thing about Norths not being in the comp is I don't get the chance to go to North Sydney Leagues Club and ask where their trophy room is.

Back in the 1990s the girl at reception pointed me towards the kitchen when I ask where the trophy room was - when I got there the kitchen was full of wooden spoons.

yeah Fluff but that was normal for the teddie bears wasnt it, players not up to scratch :)

Yet again proving what a dumb **** you are Fro.

Those of us who have actually followed Manly-Warringah for more than 5 minutes will remember that the Bears were actually a formidable opponent in the 1990's and knocked us out of the finals in the only post-season match we played against them in that era. In previous decades they may have fielded some poor squads but in the latter stages of their existence they almost always provided exciting clashes with Manly.

Now stop wasting precious resources and run along and die now you useless piece of ****.

Those of us who have actually followed Manly-Warringah for more than 5 minutes will remember that the Bears were actually a formidable opponent in the 1990's and knocked us out of the finals in the only post-season match we played against them in that era. In previous decades they may have fielded some poor squads but in the latter stages of their existence they almost always provided exciting clashes with Manly.

Now stop wasting precious resources and run along and die now you useless piece of ****.

I was waiting for someone to chime in with something not screaming of bias!!

I'm only a youngish sorta guy myself (21) and i followed the bears (hangs head) haha..... and from the time when i really got into my footy the bears would make the finals just about every year.... my worst memory is in 1997 when i thought my bears had the game won against newcastle to make it into the 97 grand final and with 10 minutes to go newcastle got over the top of us... as a fragile 12 year old i was distraught!!

Those were the days...

I was just thinking yesterday actually of all the players that the bears had and i used to idolise..... florimo, taylor, larson, moore, fairleigh, soden, roy, seers, halligan...

K i'll shut up now!!

Carn you eagles!!!!!

I would like to see the stats pole-smoker ,
as in the 90,s all my work colleagues were bears fans ,I was always giving them loads of abuse ,because we always beat the bears. Maybe im wrong !!

Speaking of bears and the like....Kyle Arnold he is that prop that we have signed for this year with some decent wraps on him....what is the story- is he injured?

This site is a page of stats containing Manly Versus every team and every game they have played

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/teams/manly/manly_wl.html

Their having a winning percentage of 62.38% against the bears!

From 1990 - 1999 when Norths were kicked out of the comp.. Manly played Norths 17 times with Manly being the victor on 10 occasions... norths obviously winning the other 7

There 17 encounters since 1990:

1990:
Norths 10 Def Manly 2
Manly 15 Def Norths 8

1991:
Manly 14 def Norths 10
Manly 15 def Norths 0
Norths 28 def Manly 16 (Finals)

1992:
Norths 24 def Manly 10

1993:
Norths 19 def Manly 4
Manly 26 def Norths 10

1994:
Manly 11 def Norths 8

1995: (Premiership Year)
Manly 30 def Norths 0
Manly 36 def Norths 6

1996:
Norths 20 def Manly 10
Manly 29 def Norths 6

1997:
Manly 12 def Norths 8
Norths 41 def Manly 8

1998:
Norths 32 def Manly 8

1999:
Manly 28 def Norths 22

Stats Provided by: stats.rleague.com

[quote author=Ridgey]

I would like to see the stats pole-smoker ,
as in the 90,s all my work colleagues were bears fans ,I was always giving them loads of abuse ,because we always beat the bears. Maybe im wrong !!
[/quote]

Obviously you only remember 95??

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8