greatest sporting moments

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Gronk

Bencher
OK so let’s just say King, Orford, Mullane and so on finally get us sent to jail for all the bad things we have said about them.  The judge decrees you can bring a DVD of your 5 favourite sporting moments to pass the time, but as punishment no league is allowed. 

So the question is what goes on the DVD?

I would have:

1. Steve Waugh's 100 off the last ball
2. Cathy Freeman's gold medal
3. The Socceroos’ world cup qualifier penalty shootout
4. Tiger Woods’ 97 Masters win
5. Steve Waugh’s “You just dropped the world cup” innings

Mine are:

1 sydney olympic games by a mile especially Cathy Freeman winning gold and Roy and HG's "The dream" each day)
2.Australia wins the america's cup in 1983
3.Keiran Perkins wins gold at the atlanta olympics
4.Steve Waugh's century against England at the SCC
5.Steven Bradbury wining gold

Tough ask but I'd go for

1. Anthony Mundine vs Lester Ellis

2. Either of Greg Norman's Masters chokes

3. Socceroos blowing a 2-0 lead against Iran in 98 WC qualifier

4. Glen Trimbles ODI cricket highlights reel.

5. Ian Thorpe tumbling off the blocks in the 400m Olympic Trials

Couldn't find a spot for Bradmans last innings, Pat Rafters choke in Wimbledon or Jane Saville being DQ'd in 2000 Olympics  

My proper ones in no particular order would be, although it is hard to narrow down to 5 so I've gone for 10

1. Australia v South Africa 99 Cricket World Cup Semi Final tied match

2. Swans v West Coast 2005 AFL GF

3. Ali v Foreman "Rumble In The Jungle" - too young to remember it properly live but "When We Were Kings" is a great doco on it

4. Steven Bradbury winning gold - this would go close to being my favourite sporting moment, it's gold on so many levels.

5. Wallabies 91 RWC Campaign - Campo on fire

6. Aussie Womens Water Polo Gold Medal win in Sydney 2000 with a nanosecond left on the clock

7. Shane Warne's 708 Wickets DVD - I wish it existed

8. Wallabies 84 Grand Slam

9. Mark Waughs 173 vs West Indies in an ODI at MCG

10. Sven Ottke v Mundane ;)

Racing moments fill my memories:

1. Makybe Diva winning 3 Melbourne Cups

2. Kingston Town winning 3 Cox Plates

3. Damian Oliver wins the Cup for his dead bro Jason on Media Puzzle

4. Might and Power blows them away in the '97 Caulfield Cup

5. Super Impose claims consecutive Epsom and Donny Randwick mile races

.... and sneak in Thierry Henry's greatest goals for the Gunners somewhere

Chip & Chase link said:
My proper ones in no particular order would be, although it is hard to narrow down to 5 so I've gone for 10

1. Australia v South Africa 99 Cricket World Cup Semi Final tied match

2. Swans v West Coast 2005 AFL GF

3. Ali v Foreman \"Rumble In The Jungle\" - too young to remember it properly live but \"When We Were Kings\" is a great doco on it

4. Steven Bradbury winning gold - this would go close to being my favourite sporting moment, it's gold on so many levels.

5. Wallabies 91 RWC Campaign - Campo on fire

6. Aussie Womens Water Polo Gold Medal win in Sydney 2000 with a nanosecond left on the clock

7. Shane Warne's 708 Wickets DVD - I wish it existed

8. Wallabies 84 Grand Slam

9. Mark Waughs 173 vs West Indies in an ODI at MCG

10. Sven Ottke v Mundane ;)

geez that's a long DVD.  I reckon you would need about 20 DVDs for that lot.  I guess you would smuggle em in to the jail up the back door eh

I would have to have 40 - 0....that was not league it was perfection....

The Gronk link said:
geez that's a long DVD.  I reckon you would need about 20 DVDs for that lot.  I guess you would smuggle em in to the jail up the back door eh

Jails and back doors aren't my area of expertise, but I'll defer to your superior knowledge on these matters should the need ever arise. Thanks for the tip ;)

It just reminds me of the south park episode where Cartman is in jail and starts smuggling in things like board games up his arse. 

1. Manly 40 - nil.
2. Liverpool v West Ham Utd FA Cup final.
3. Adelaide Ashes Test 2007
4. 2003 World Cup Final - Cricket.
5. 1999 World Cup Semi Final, SA v Aus - Rugby.

1995 Rugby World Cup
Rhodesia vs All Blacks 1949
Highlights of Springboks 2007-2009
2008 NRL Grand Final
Grand Final weekend 1987

I'm surprised the Freeman thing gets so many gigs.  It's not like she was racing anyone of note, just some tokenism I suppose.

The Gronk link said:
It just reminds me of the south park episode where Cartman is in jail and starts smuggling in things like board games up his arse. 

Yeh that was a good episode. 20 DVDs wouldn't be a problem for Cartman after Disneyland made the trip.

Would love a DVD of all Beaver's tries

It actually amazes me the club have never put one together. Could produce a DVD with say an hour long doco on his career and then show every try he scored, sell it for $35 and ****loads of people would buy it

Matabele link said:
I'm surprised the Freeman thing gets so many gigs.  It's not like she was racing anyone of note, just some tokenism I suppose.
You had to be there Mata. 18 million people were running with her. Most emotion I have ever experienced in a stadium on what was the greatest night of Athletics in history, given the other events as well. National Anthem that night was the most passionate ever sung.

1. Cathy Freeman 400m
2. Manly v Roosters 1972 - Manly's first premiership - finally the monkey was off our backs.
3. Perkins 1500 metres at Atlanta - I was coaching a Rugby team and the whole  crowd left the game to listen to a car radio.
4.Warne v Sth Africa at SCG - early 90s when he took 6 for.
5. Ashes Series in 97
6. Rugby League Ashes Series where Cliffy and Ricky Stuart put Mal under the posts in the last seconds to win it for us.
7. 91 Wallablies against Ireland and NZ in the quarters and Semis.
8. Pittsburgh Steelers in Superbowl 2009 - last minute touchdown by Santonio Holmes a superb effort.
9. 99 World Cup Cricket Semi Final v Sth Africa
10. Socceroos v Japan and Croatia at 2006 World Cup, just pipping Uruguay game to qualify.

Matabele link said:
[quote author=Canteen Worker link=topic=182254.msg249073#msg249073 date=1263559009]
the greatest night of Athletics in history,
  LOL!!!!!!!!!!

I suppose there was no black fellow running in Berlin in 1936 then.
[/quote]It was the quality of the event list that night.

Gebrselassie beats Tergat in the 10000m in a sprint, Gabriela Szabo wins the 5000m shootout against Sonia O'Sullivan, Maria Mutola wins the 800m, Michael Johnson wins the 400m to be the best ever, Jonathan Edwards wins the Triple Jump to get the monkey off his back, both mens and womens short hurdles are won in boilovers with the World Champions not even getting a medal and Tatiana Grigorieva was very close to winning the womens pole vault. Put Cathy Freeman in there and it was the greatest night ever of Athletics as I said.

Nothing to do with skin colour or any racist ideology. Plenty of black runners in the events in 2000. Also in 1936 they performed in the day. Jesse Owens was outstanding, but won his medals over a week, not one single night.

You included some RL in your list CW - but it is so hard not to. That Meninga try to win the second Test at Old Trafford in 1990 is one of the great moments. My aunt, who hated sport, jumped out of her chair and started whooping.

Cathy winning was huge for Australians. I was on the border of Singapore and Malaysia with a whole lot of Aussies for work, we all knew the race time and had been counting it down. I called back home and had my wife put the phone by the tv so we could hear it on my mobile. The roar was so deafening we didn't know who had won. Our relief was huge and we were joined by the border security all yelling. It was special no matter where you were!

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2