Green spaces

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
No, this is not a reference to the lack of them out Parramatta way. Warren Ryan in commentary said that we have the worst record for kicking the ball down the opposition throat - 44% of the time caught on the full by the back trio.

A little thing like this could mean the difference between winning and losing a Grand Final.

Speaking of little things - Orford needs some tackling practise and also a more than quiet chat about urgency in defence.

There was more than just our kicking into green spaces missing today. There was very little structure in our attack and our defensive line broke from the start when it wasnt under pressure. I am very unhappy about it, but we were very lucky today.

There was more than just our kicking into green spaces missing today. There was very little structure in our attack and our defensive line broke from the start when it wasnt under pressure. I am very unhappy about it, but we were very lucky today.

8|

We seemed to score almost everytime we got down the other end so is that a gee up Jatz?

Our defence holds out brilliantly for a while but everyone now and then there are absolute shockers which are a worry.

What was of concern is the ease of their first half tries. I'd forgive Robbo his front on defense, but Matai was nowhere to be seen to assist. Haynes try was a total disgrace. The whole team ran along the line with him until he found a gap and ran through it. Totally pathetic. We won and what that showed was that Parramatta are totally overrated. Their second half effort was pathetic and, but for the fact we gifted them two first half tries, they wouldn't have been in the game at all.

Orford was responsible for all three of those first half tries being let in. bugger all intensity in defence from Orford.

[quote author=Jatz Crackers]

8|

[/quote]

hey, im hapy we won. You & i both know we arent in condition for finals on that game.

Orford was responsible for all three of those first half tries being let in. bugger all intensity in defence from Orford.

Missed six tackles in the first half, but tightened up in the second.

The Hayne try should never have been allowed, but it is f*cking annoying that Orford didn't stick an arm out (either at Hindmarsh or at Hayne). Happy to stand there and watch them both flash past.

I was at the game and so saw things differently. Orford was good most of the time and I thought our attack was good.

Kicking game in the second half was also very good. When it was championship rounds we llifted a gear and blew them away.

CW, you cannot get around the fact that Orford *could* have prevented all three first half tries with a bit of commitment and urgency.

We should detract such instances from his try assists column and see if he ends up in the red.

Also, the "green spaces" argument that plenty of journos run with can be a bit misleading. It suggests that those kicks find the player on the full (giving them a running start etc), where in fact it is simply defined as a "kick to opposition". If Orford/Monas drills a ball along the ground and it bounces 20 times awkwardly....9/10 times it will still be classed as a "kick long to opposition", even though it might be a messy clean-up, and give the kick-chase plenty of time to clean up him.....

Then again both Monas and Orford found Hayne on the full a few times yesterday.

Hard to explain, but I don't think Manly's long-kicking game is as bad as Wok was saying. Plenty of other areas to improve though.

I think we kick straight down the throats way to often. If anything Monas kicking game from inside our own half is way better. I am just going to say it is an area we need to improve on. Ox needs to get a lot more goal kicking practise - missing conversions could cost us a GF spot.

This has been a problem all season. Our long kicking game could do with some work for sure, both Monas and Orford

In perspective though guys - we beat Parra at Parra for the 1st time in 10 years, against a feral crowd. Our centre went down early, and we had Burns and Rose out.

Manly as a whole look a hell of a lot more ruthless with Orford than without.

I'd also like to say that a 1/2 back shouldn't be in ther lines of having to tackle the Hindmarsh's / Moi Moi's etc etc. That's not his job.

That's my opinion only.

We also came back from a 10 point deficit at half time, we always seem to be able to hang in there.

As for Orford, you can not hide anywhere on the football field and it is only natural the big forwards will run at the little players, most seem more concerned with his perceived lack of effort/urgency in making some tackles. I dont think many would be into him if he was run over like Robbo, he had a dig at Grothe!!!!

I think Hayne's try was a old fashioned, garden variety shepherd. Just because Hindmarsh didn't touch a Manly player doesn't mean that he didn't affect the play. As soon as Hayne continued behind Hindmarsh's line without slowing down then it should have been blown up as a penalty. He got an advantage because it's not something a defender should have to consider when reading the attack. It was a bad call by Hollywood, but old Billy likes to think himself above the game and doesn't mind rewriting the rules on the run. Having said that though Orford did look like a shag on a rock.

It's a bit harsh to start picking on Orford now. Again, as he has done for the past few weeks, he improved his all-round game.
Most of the misses from him were because he was targetted, not just general play stuff-ups.
THe long kicking game from both wasn't as good as usual but if Monas had got a 40/20 rather than out on the full & Ox wasn't so rushed on a few occasions I don't think we'd be mentioning it. The short & attacking kicks from everyone was fairly good.

In perspective though guys - we beat Parra at Parra for the 1st time in 10 years, against a feral crowd. Our centre went down early, and we had Burns and Rose out.
Not to mention one Jason King ..... oh how soon we forget :lol:

I'd forgive Robbo his front on defense, but Matai was nowhere to be seen to assist.

That statement further proves your biased, pathetic agenda against Matai.

Forgive Robbo for missing a one on one tackle, and somehow managing to bring Matai into it. Matai was marking HIS man, didnt realise he had to mark Robbo's as well.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4