Grey area Tackles???

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

MK Eagle

Bencher
Nothing has changed my opinion that Warea Hargreaves lost his potential to achieve great things after joining thr Roosters but his tackle on Ross last night was a great shot imo & his contact was at worst , initially the chest region.
This grey area in defence annoys me for 2 reasons -
1 - the big hits will become extinct.
2 - the rulings are very inconsistent where if Ross got up last night I doubt it would even go to the judiciary or be a penalty.
I understand the safety issues, but some of these new rules including players slipping into tackles that are classified high even though the attacker is 1 foot from the ground need a little more common sense.
I thought Teo & Pritchard were unlucky earlier in the year for shoulder charges that seen them as attacking the head, but last nights Hargreaves tackle to be judged too high is even harsher imo & sets a dangerous line to what was once a good hard hit that could turn a game.
Ronny Gibbs & Igor Randall would be shaking their heads.....

Shoulder charges are fine if they do not come in contact with the head, that is pretty much black and white but the refs/judiciary seem to have a bit of a problem working that out.

If someone gets knocked out, they have most likely been hit in the head.

They got it wrong with the pritchard tackle and haven't stood a chance since. He hit the guy in the head and knocked him out.

The burgess shoulder charge was an accident in that it was also a head clash just very unfortunate

The key words are careless or reckless. Their attitude is that shoulder charges are a tackling technique that has limited control and therefore a higher chance of something going wrong. It's all good if they work, but don't bleat about being persecuted if things get out of shape and you hit someone in the head.

If you don't want to run the risk of a penalty or suspension, then bend your back, drive with the shoulder into the midriff or below and wrap your arms around. If you want to go for the big hit or the swinging arm across the chest, then accept the consequences should you clock someone in the melon.

The game could do a lot worse than make a return to the days of classic tackling technique, instead of this gang tackling around the chest/shoulders stuff we have today. It all came about because of the paranoia surrounding the offload.....wrap the ball up at all costs mentality. What are they worried about, that there'll be some more offloads, line breaks and tries ?? I'd much rather watch that, than 80 minutes of grappling and wrestling, 5 tackle kick to the corners play.

MissKate said:
Shoulder charges are fine if they do not come in contact with the head, that is pretty much black and white but the refs/judiciary seem to have a bit of a problem working that out.

If someone gets knocked out, they have most likely been hit in the head.

They got it wrong with the pritchard tackle and haven't stood a chance since. He hit the guy in the head and knocked him out.

The burgess shoulder charge was an accident in that it was also a head clash just very unfortunate
When knocked out it can still be contact off the chest/shoulder region like last night which I thought was a great tackle.
If first contact is high I totally agree but the common sense is often lacking on these rulings.
Attacking players often fall or slip into tackles forcing the tackler to make high contact. The attacking player is knocked out or plays possum.
I dont blame the tackler here - its just circumstances in a hard physical contact sport yet leads to penalties ect that will decide a game or 2 by seasons end.

Horsehead and that little guy were useless last night. The little guy needs to grow some balls. While I have no time for JWH, the first shoulder charge on Ross was OK. What annoys me is that when a player goes down, no matter what happens, legit or otherwise, it always seems to end up with a report. JWH's charge hit Ross in the chest initially and then might have travelled up. Not a penalty imo. And definitely not a report and a free interchange. Is Ross a protected species?

Chip and Chase said:
The game could do a lot worse than make a return to the days of classic tackling technique, instead of this gang tackling around the chest/shoulders stuff we have today. It all came about because of the paranoia surrounding the offload.....wrap the ball up at all costs mentality. What are they worried about, that there'll be some more offloads, line breaks and tries ?? I'd much rather watch that, than 80 minutes of grappling and wrestling, 5 tackle kick to the corners play.

When I occasionally see an old clip of a match from the 90s or earlier, the differences from the modern game are stark.

I wonder if the slowness of the play-the-ball is costing us (the paying fans) several minutes of ball-in-hand playing time, every single match? The way its going they will be able to schedule ad breaks every tackle. The appeal of league has zero to do with the gang-wrestling of tackled players.

I was thinking about this while watching the 3rd SOO if they want to cut down on the wrestle all they have to do is rule that every tackle that involves a player grabbing another player around the neck area is ruled a head high tackle and penalised. You might get 30 penalty's a game for the 1st week but they could send a memo out the week prior to the crack down.

I have said this before but if they keep this up then the game we know is gone forever. I agree in a lot of respects with what C&C says. It is a matter of picking the right time. Penalising or putting on report a player who hits someone accidentally falling is a joke.

It has always been, and I hope will always be, a game of big hits. Don't take that away. Every head hit deserves scrutiny but there must be some common sense.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6