Grooming Groom

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Nutzcraw

Bencher
It's been very well publicised that one of if not the best halfback the game has seen has recently retired. It's also well publicised in Manly circles that we have a young half coming through the ranks with alot of potential and could be the future of the Manly Sea Eagles.

Johns has mentioned recently that he is very interested in coaching one on one and would enjoy travelling around different clubs and doing some one on one coaching with their halves.

If I were apart of the Eagles Hierarchy (can't believe i'm not) I would be getting onto Johns's lazy eyed manager and requiring his services to help mould Groom into one of the halfbacks the game has seen.

With his running game and lessons from Johns and Ox for passing, kicking, vision etc... he could be anything IMO.

not a bad idea. anyone know what he charges? i have a 10 year old cousin who could do with a tip or two....

seriously, i think it would be a good idea to bring somebody like johns onto the staff.

matty johns did alot of work with cronk from mexico before last season started and he was one of the form fullbacks of the comp.

seriously, i think it would be a good idea to bring somebody like johns onto the staff.

matty johns did alot of work with cronk from mexico before last season started and he was one of the form fullbacks of the comp.

Best fullback ever ! :D

That is a good idea though.

at this stage even with halden out he is playing hooker

i think manly management just want to turn all halfback into hookers for some stupid reason

I think they are playing Grrom at hooker in PL to improve his tackling

i hope so

he looked so much better when he got a quick changeover and had to slide into halfback

I think the idea of getting a genius to coach is often somewhat flawed anyway. Part of their brilliance is spontaneity, backing their own ability and relying on their natural hunch in game situations. You can't coach that - it just comes once the player has room to move and players around who complement. Experience is a big teacher, though the ability of someone to look at tapes and provide feedback is essential.

There are not a whole lot of Cliffy clones around as you can't coach what he had and basically even he didn't know what he was going to do let alone anyone else.

Most important thing for young players is to teach the basics well, give them freedom and confidence to play their own game and then feedback on how they are going. As MR U said, Des and Tooves are great halves and could certainly help with that. One hopes that Orford might also be a good role model to Groom.

Hearing Johns speak about what he would LIKE to do, i got the distinct impression this coaching thing has more to do with his idea of his dream job than of it being an exciting new initiative.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4