Guthenson tonight and beyond

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Beaver boy

Reserve Grader
Who'll be watching Clint tonight.? it seemed as though he handled first grade with aplomb, but he needs to put on some size and will potentially be a centre, would be waisted as acentre. Tom Trbojevic is in my mind a once in a lifetime prodigy and will be out fullback after snake retires.

Your thoughts ?

He had a shocker. Poor options, terrible positional play, awful goal kicking, had no clue how to catch a bomb and there is NO WAY he's taking over Snake's fullback spot at all!!

Gutherson on the other hand might turn out to be a ok. :p

mickqld said:
He had a shocker. Poor options, terrible positional play, awful goal kicking, had no clue how to catch a bomb and there is NO WAY he's taking over Snake's fullback spot at all!!

So He went ok?

He had an average game. That's life. Anyone can have one, one game doesn't define a player for life.

Harsh

Do we just forget the 3 or 4 great games he has played in first grade ?. His 20's performance for the blues mustn't count for anything either.

Played like a young kid with a fair ego tonight. Like 99% of kids do. I'm sure hell learn from it. Although it would be a bit easier to critique him properly if he got rid of that ridiculous haircut.

As for who is faster, Gutherson would have Trbojevic covered in a straight footrace, but Trbojevic would potentially be a more elusive runner.

Hiku is a better fullback than wing, he is a better centre than fullback....
Gutho is a fullback no doubt about it everything about him screams fullback who could make a fist anywhere in the backline

Looking at the numerous tries scored against manly in the NSW cup you get to see a fair bit of Guthersons defense in action. Good attacking player though.

missed a penalty shot after the siren to win the game.

bundle him off to St choke.

I think Hiku's best position is fullback, but he'll end up in the centres.

When the time comes that we no longer have Snake (either through leaving the club or retiring) it'll either be Gutherson or Turbo Tom at fullback. I haven't seen Tom play, but from what I've read of his speed (and seen of Gutho's), I would think Tom is faster. I'd imagine he isn't called Turbo because he'd struggle to beat Marty Bella over the 100.

Personally, when we no longer have Snake, Killer or Skivy, out of our current lot I wouldn't mind seeing our backline as:

FB - Peta Hiku
WG - Clint Gutherson
CE - Jorge Taufua
CE - Cheyse Blair
WG - Tom Trbojevic

Though using those 5 it'll probably be more like:

FB - Clint Gutherson / Tom Trbojevic
WG - Jorge Taufua
CE - Peta Hiku
CE - Cheyse Blair
WG - Tom Trbojevic / Clint Gutherson

Hopefully though, its a problem we don't have until Snake retires. Though FB isn't the big problem for us that it was in 2009-10 when we were forced to move Robbo off his wing before Ben Farrar got the job. At least now we have 2 or 3 good fullbacks to cover if Snake gets injured, though none are yet in his class.

Just to add....Clint may have had a dirty game against the Junior Kiwis, but I'd be willing to bet that even the likes of Wombat, Rowdy, Ridgey and Snake had their own bad games. Hell, even the great Clive Churchill probably had a few games he'd rather have forgotten.

The haka and response was pretty cool!

Love a good in your face stand off......wouldn't mind if when aust did it....they also win!!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6