Gutherson....How's his injury, and next year

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Killer03

Bencher
Just wondering what the deal is with Gutho at the moment? Is he rehabbing well?

Also not sure if it's mentioned but is there a possibility of him ending up at 5/8? I was underwhelmed when I first saw him, and then at the back end of last year I just thought. Geez he got big quick and just looked so comfortable. Added to this he can kick goals, how's his defence? I'd much prefer him there long term to Tommy T. I think Tommy T will be devastating at Fullback (in a few years), and Gutho/DCE could be the magic duo.

I have to agree . While all the talk is about tom t and he will be a special player as his brother but this young fellow gutherson is going to be right up there as well . I think an off season at pivot could be a masterstroke. His silky ball skills and his confidence will go along way to this transition. Tom T is our next superstar fullback.

Gutho is running and seems happy enough at games.

He is a special talent and I hope he got his injuries out of his system now :)

Not much, but I tweeted him some support and encouragement, and he said things are good. He will be a superstar. I think he is very much like Josh Dugan in both attack and defense.

Not much, but I tweeted him some support and encouragement, and he said things are good. He will be a superstar. I think he is very much like Josh Dugan in both attack and defense.
Not a personal attack on you, but I hope not.

Dugan is a pea heart with too many tattoos. He stifles the attack with his lack of natural ball playing ability. He is a good runner of the ball and not much else; I don't believe he has good natural footballing instincts.

I'm gonna go against the grain a little here and I think Gutherson will be just as/if not better than Tom T in the years to come. Sure, Tom will probably be the fullback, but that's because Clinton is going to be more useful up in the line. I think he has good footballing instincts and I am looking forward to seeing him fully fit next season.

I think he would make a great 5/8. Him and DCE would be an awesome duo. I've seen him kick a few times in the 20s and although a bit inaccurate he got a fair roost on most of the times I've seen him kick. His goal kicking as mentioned is what we could really do with as well.

In 2012 and 2013, Gutherson played for the Sea Eagles' NYC team.

In 2012, Gutherson played for the Australian Schoolboys

In 2013 and 2014, Gutherson played for the New South Wales Under 20s team.

In Round 26 of the 2013 NRL season, Gutherson made his NRL debut for the Sea Eagles against the Penrith Panthers. He scored a try on debut.

On 21 September 2014, Gutherson was named as the 18th-man reserve in the 2014 New South Wales Cup Team of the Year.

Gutho has a happy disposition. He is also a lanky lad who will fill out nicely - Tred style :)

Turbo Tommy will be our future fullback when Snake either retires or leaves the club. I can't see either playing 5/8, but I can see Gutho and Hiku being our next long term centre pairing.

Hiku has never struck me as someone who could succeed playing 5/8. As we've seen when he plays centre he doesn't really have the passing game for it, nor the vision. He will learn, but I don't think he has the skills to be a quality pivot. A couple of times last Friday night he had Tom unmarked on his outside but didn't even look like passing the ball. He's shown that he is a great runner of the ball, but his lack of passing has seen some of our attacking moves die in the arse, even when playing fullback. He won't be a great attacking centre but he will be one of the best defensively.

Gutho probably could make a decent fist of playing in the halves, but I think he is much better suited to the centres or wing. He'll be a bit like Dale Shearer was in that respect. Can play anywhere, but is more suited to positions where he can use his natural pace to best effect. And like Rowdy, Gutho can kick goals.

• 🤝
Reactions: Rex
Turbo Tommy will be our future fullback when Snake either retires or leaves the club. I can't see either playing 5/8, but I can see Gutho and Hiku being our next long term centre pairing.

Hiku has never struck me as someone who could succeed playing 5/8. As we've seen when he plays centre he doesn't really have the passing game for it, nor the vision. He will learn, but I don't think he has the skills to be a quality pivot. A couple of times last Friday night he had Tom unmarked on his outside but didn't even look like passing the ball. He's shown that he is a great runner of the ball, but his lack of passing has seen some of our attacking moves die in the arse, even when playing fullback. He won't be a great attacking centre but he will be one of the best defensively.

Gutho probably could make a decent fist of playing in the halves, but I think he is much better suited to the centres or wing. He'll be a bit like Dale Shearer was in that respect. Can play anywhere, but is more suited to positions where he can use his natural pace to best effect. And like Rowdy, Gutho can kick goals.
I think your selling him short. He will succeed in any position he is given his opportunity in, from 1 to 6. Your right about Hiku and his passing game though. In saying that his ability to make metres at this stage of his career more than makes up for it. Later on I think he will develop his passing game later on in the same way matai did. Hiku is a better footballer than what matai was at this stage of his career.

Gutho will turn into a forward but suits the center/wing spots for now.

As Chez will be around for 6 years and Karma Foran a potential 6 years, these young ones can cross off halves positions at Manly @:cool:

Gutho turning into a forward? LOL. Jorge maybe but not Gutho. I'd even turn Hiku into a forward before Gutho.

And ManlyMatt, I'm not saying that Gutho wouldn't be a good 5/8 given the opportunity. I'm just saying that with his pace and skill he is probably better off somewhere else in the backline, preferably centre or fullback and at worst on the wing.

Look at his size and shape - totally Tred and he is still growing and filling out.

Tommy Turbo is another stringbean that will look completely different in 5 years time.

If the NRL reduced interchange bench comes in, then these two have the ideal physique and speed @:)

Just wondering what the deal is with Gutho at the moment? Is he rehabbing well?

Also not sure if it's mentioned but is there a possibility of him ending up at 5/8? I was underwhelmed when I first saw him, and then at the back end of last year I just thought. Geez he got big quick and just looked so comfortable. Added to this he can kick goals, how's his defence? I'd much prefer him there long term to Tommy T. I think Tommy T will be devastating at Fullback (in a few years), and Gutho/DCE could be the magic duo.

I would have Gutho at 5/8 good there. His defence lets him down, especially on the wing. I would have the Wolfman as winger a true one at that
Gutho turning into a forward? LOL. Jorge maybe but not Gutho. I'd even turn Hiku into a forward before Gutho.

And ManlyMatt, I'm not saying that Gutho wouldn't be a good 5/8 given the opportunity. I'm just saying that with his pace and skill he is probably better off somewhere else in the backline, preferably centre or fullback and at worst on the wing.

I have watched Gutho play 5/8 on numerous times for cup and he had some of his best games there. If you put Gutho and Tommy onto the wings, expect the opposition to score lots of tries there as both don't have the strength or quickness for wingers nor do they have good positioning defence. I would be playing Gutho at fullback, 5/8 or centre and Tommy's best spot is fullback and then centre

Not a personal attack on you, but I hope not.

Dugan is a pea heart with too many tattoos. He stifles the attack with his lack of natural ball playing ability. He is a good runner of the ball and not much else; I don't believe he has good natural footballing instincts.

I'm gonna go against the grain a little here and I think Gutherson will be just as/if not better than Tom T in the years to come. Sure, Tom will probably be the fullback, but that's because Clinton is going to be more useful up in the line. I think he has good footballing instincts and I am looking forward to seeing him fully fit next season.

You hit the nail on the head about Dugan stifling the attack - we were discussing him during the Origin match, late in the game NSW were clearly trying to get early ball to Jennings so he could continue the damage he'd been doing in the first half, and at least twice Dugan decided it was his opportunity to 'chime in' to the backline and stuffed the movement when it the ball should've gone straight to Jennings. A half decent fullback will pick his moments and actualy add something when he comes into the attack, Dugan stifles it a lot of the time by being in the wrong place or running the wrong line and just gets in the way...when he scored that try I actually commented "holy crap, he actually ran the right line for once!"...

Agree with you that, from what I have seen of Gutho coming through the ranks, he already has way better natural ball playing ability than Dugan; his positioning and timing are clearly better.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6