Hadley to call Friday night Football

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
AUSTRALIA'S most influential broadcaster Ray Hadley has joined Channel Nine and his great friend Ray Warren as an NRL commentator and occasional panellist on the revamped Footy Show.

The 2GB host signed a contract with Nine late last week and will call the second Friday night match, planting him alongside bitter old enemies Paul Vautin -- and possibly Peter Sterling -- in the commentary box.

In a host of changes at Nine:

* Andrew Voss has been demoted to No 3 caller and will only get a start on Sundays when Warren is unavailable for long interstate hauls or for flights to New Zealand.
* Cricket commentator Michael Slater has also been approached to be co-host on The Footy Show in the spot recently rejected by Matty Johns.

But the big news was Hadley signing a 12-month deal, which was finalised on Friday after weeks of secret negotiations with network supremo David Gyngell and sports boss Steve Crawley.
Advertisement

"For a long time in this city sport has been compromised by the fact certain broadcasters have refused to not only work but talk with certain others," Crawley said yesterday.

"Hopefully, this is the beginning of the end to that rubbish. At Nine, we don't care who goes to whose dinner parties -- we just want the best people in our commentary boxes.

"Ray Hadley is a wonderful sports commentator, in our opinion behind only Ray Warren when it comes to the big-time sports like rugby league."

Workaholic Hadley told me yesterday that he was looking forward to calling his games live into Brisbane, which are then shown on delay in Sydney.

"I got a feel for it last year when I did some of the rugby World Cup on Channel Nine and really enjoyed it," he said. "My only problem is Rabs. We played golf on Friday and he kept calling me his understudy."

Of his demanding workload, Hadley said: "I'll leave 2GB at lunchtime on Friday and fly to wherever I need to be. I'll be on a 6am flight the next morning to do the Continuous Call show with the boys on GB and then take Sundays off."

And as for working alongside Vautin: "It's not an issue. I've had a number of conversations with Paul in recent years. I'll be with Wally Lewis, too. We'll all just do a professional job."

Nine will soon reveal some Footy Show changes, including the signings of Billy Slater, Gorden Tallis and possibly Michael Slater.

Hadley must really hate his home life. He's never there, and this is just a further commitment which means spending less time away from his family.

"Ray Hadley is a wonderful sports commentator, in our opinion behind only Ray Warren when it comes to the big-time sports like rugby league."
Just what's needed, another self important, opinionated prick.

The Wheel said:
Tallis? Surely not.
He may have to change his name to Slater to avoid confusion.

Moondog said:

The Wheel said:
Tallis? Surely not.

If Tallis changed his name to Slater to fit in with Mike and Billy, would that make them the modern day equivalent of the Howard's - you know Moe, Shemp and Curly, of 'Three Stooges' fame?

Phantar said:
Moondog said:

The Wheel said:
Tallis? Surely not.

If Tallis changed his name to Slater to fit in with Mike and Billy, would that make them the modern day equivalent of the Howard's - you know Moe, Shemp and Curly, of 'Three Stooges' fame?

Could have been the Four Stooges but little brother Iggy was only a baby when the others hit the big time........ Being a Manly fan I prefer Michael to the other two channel 9 Stooges.

I hope that nein dont win the new tv rights deal. We must all pray to philo the God of television to make this happen.

Hadley is arrogant but that's because he is very good at what he does. He is a great caller.

lol ray warren is a fossil he is far and away NOT the best caller of the game :rolleyes: they keep trying to change the footy show but it is what it is :rolleyes:

Hadley. :( He is not suited to TV ... or radio for that matter.

I'd take Tallis over MG. Tallis can occasionally talk some reasonable footy. When Toovs was a guest on Monday night footy last season, I thought some of the stuff Tallis said was just about the highlight of that show all year!!!!

Speaking of Monday Night Footy, but it appears Ryan Phelan has been given the flick as well. Hooray!!!!

I do hope they give Jason Taylor more of a go this year, either at 9 or Fox. I've heard him commentate on a few games and in particular last years city v country game and I thought he was excellent. It's obvious why not a lot of players like him because his analysis wasn't always kind to the player and I thought it was refreshing to hear an ex player be critical of players instead of blowing smoke up their you know whats, which is par for the course for every other ex player in the media.

I find the 2gB calls by far some of the best out there. They are better than the crap we hear from Gus, Voss and Warren.

The only other person I think is as good is Andrew Moore, he is a superb caller of the game.

Warren is fine, its Gus that brings him down.

Sterlo is one of the best technical readers and commentators out there too.

A call with Sterlo, Hadley and some sideline guy would be enough, that would be a great team.

I think this is a good move from Channel 9. Voss is a horrible commentator and tries to impose his opinion and interpretation on the game rather than just calling the game that is in front of him.

Bring on Andrew Moore too

My fav 5 callers
1 ray warren
2 ray Hadley
3 Andy Raymond
4 Andrew Moore
5 Andrew voss

The worst callers
Warren Smith
David morrow
Mark braybrook

I hope they don't get Tallis - his bias is sickening and he really has no clue. And I'd rather Hadley over Warren Ryan - he is by far and away the worst commentator.

Best part for me is Voss the Toss getting demoted .

Crap caller, with an ego that is now be where it belongs ..
On the reggies bench !!!!

Phantar said:
Moondog said:

The Wheel said:
Tallis? Surely not.

smsmileys32.gif

Nya, nya, nya, ohh wiseguy !

Daniel said:
The only other person I think is as good is Andrew Moore, he is a superb caller of the game.

Spot on - couldn't agree more! Really enjoy listening to Andrew Moore and Steve Roach on 2GB.

I've been listening to hadleys calling on 2gb for a few years now, i can't remember horsehead ever having anything bad to say about manly.He's got my vote.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6