Hard road back for Bani

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

deadlyeagle

Reserve Grader
http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/hard-road-back-for-bani/

Hard road back for Bani

TWELVE months ago Manly winger Michael Bani was part of the Sea Eagles NRL squad as they made their way towards the grand final.

It was exciting times for the quietly-spoken winger from the Torres Strait Islands who was still struggling to adjust to life in Sydney.

“I came in to first grade and had nothing to lose so I gave it all I had,” Bani said.

“Experiencing what I did in first grade and playing in the finals, it gave me a massive boost and confidence for this year, thinking I’d get through it and then I’ll be ready for it.

“So this season I had high hopes and goals to achieve.”

And after scoring five tries from the opening eight rounds, it appeared the 24-year-old was on track to capitalise on his 2007 exploits.

But an ankle injury in May, which turned into a dangerous clot, then a shoulder injury suffered just two games into his comeback through the NSW Cup, turned Bani’s year from promising to disastrous.

“What made it really hard was this was my first full year playing first grade,” he explained.

“I learned from last year and things I need to work on to play first grade.

“Then injury came along and it made it very difficult for me.

“But with everything in life, that’s just the way it is.

“You have your ups and downs.

“You just need to learn to get over the obstacles and move on from there.”

Bani has moved on, playing with the Sea Eagles in their NSW Cup loss to Western Suburbs at Brookvale last Saturday.

“It was really hard coming back because I hadn’t played for nearly three or four months,” he said.

“I was a bit unsure, a bit lacking in confidence, but it’s expected after being out for so long.

“The team (NRL) is going really well, so all I can do is my best and finish with a high note and hopefully next year I can turn it around.”

Bani gets another crack when the NSW Cup squad plays Balmain-Ryde in a semi-final at Campbelltown Stadium on Sunday. Kick off is 1.30pm.

I wonder how Tony Williams is going to go in the second row next year?  Hopefully his sulking will stop and effort improves when he's taken away from those other eel brats.

Mata's you've hit that nail right on its head.  There's more than a few Parra guys who sulk and go right of the game.  At the moment our squad doesn't seem to have any of the sulking type so he'll just have to fit in and put his nose to the wheel like everyone else.  Second row sounds about right, although I would't want him to develop into an Iro type player, big and stupid.  Did Des play alongside the Iro's?  Where to fit Bani in is a question.  Nowhere at the moment which is not good for him.     

Could Bani transition to the forwards as a bench player? 

Reality is our first choice backline next year is likely to be:

Bullet
Robo
Lyon
Matai
Wolfman
Bailey
Orford

So we only need one injury in the outside backs and we will need cover.

I reckon he will persevere with Lyon at 5/8 next year and maybe move Bani into the centres,....maybe. I think Bailey would be better suited to lock, remember we will lose Beaver and Willo next year so there are a couple of back row spots up for grabs, with no one really knocking the door down from reggies. I can't see Williams slotting straight into back row first up. I don't think Robbo is centre material, maybe Wolfman will get a crack and Williams/Bani on his wing. I guess that's what the trials are for.

C & C I think you're right although I'd like to see Bailey at 5/8 and Lyon back in the centre where I think he's most effective.  I can't see Wolfman as a centre, his defense isn't up to it yet.  He barely makes it defensively as a winger.  But Bani as lock or bench forward?  He's big and strong so size isn't an issue.  Can he hack the constant defensive stuff?  I don't know.  It's a hard one.     

I reckon Lyon deserves first crack at the 6.

He has developed a huge amount in the 2nd half of the year, he is not the same nuffy in the position he was not too long ago.

eagle_predator link said:
Bani has had a tough time poor bloke. I wonder how long it will take before Des puts Tony Williams in the top side next year?

Well considering he is one of our "big" buys for next season I hope not too long. Although I don't think this will impact Barney Rubble because I think Des and his staff see Williams as a Forward not a back.

I did forget about Shane Rodney, who we have probably signed as a ready made replacement for Beaver in the backrow.

i would put my mmoney on T Williams starting from the bench, he would be a fantastic impact player who can cover most positions on the field.

obviously i think Des will choose Bailey at 5/8 and Lyon in centres.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6