Hargreaves right in the thick of it

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Roos have chatty Kiwi in sights
Glenn Jackson | October 27, 2009

LEEDS: Kiwis forward Jared Waerea-Hargreaves can expect a hostile reception from the Kangaroos the next time he faces them after his explosive debut on and off the field, with second-rower Sam Thaiday urging him to learn some respect.

Kangaroos forwards fired back at the young forward after his post-match admission in the Herald that he did not respect the Australians.

Thaiday, who was rattled by one of many big hits by the 20-year-old, revealed the debutant had been sledging front-rower Petero Civoniceva, and added he should not ''run his mouth off'' until he has ''played a few more games''.

''It's pretty hard for a young fella playing in those big games. I think he had a go at big Petero there, and I think Petero told him to be quiet and show a bit more respect,'' Thaiday said. ''Once you've played a few more games and you've got a bit more experience under your belt, I'm more than happy to see you run your mouth. It's all part of the learning experience, and I'm sure it's something he'll learn over time.''

Roosters-bound Waerea-Hargreaves, one of the standouts for his spasmodic bouts of ferocity, earned the ire of the Australians following the 20-all draw between the two sides after saying: ''[They] were calling me rookie or pup and saying, 'Give some respect to your elders.' When I put this jersey on, I've got no respect, apart from my brothers who I play with. I don't respect them.''

Told of this, Kangaroos prop Brett White said: ''Really. Well, I guess that just puts a bit of pressure on himself. It'll be interesting to see what happens down the track. He's young and he's probably got excited about it all.''

Waerea-Hargreaves is believed to have verballed the 33-year-old Civoniceva about his age.

''I get that all the time,'' Civoniceva said. ''Young blokes always try to make their mark. To his credit, he definitely stood up.

''He's playing for his country, of course he's got to stand up. He's got an amazing future and he's got a huge future in the game. He's just joined a long line of blokes who try to do it to me every week.

''That just comes with the territory. It's nothing that I haven't heard before. I've got pretty thick skin, so that stuff doesn't faze me whatsoever. I've been around too long to get caught up in all that crap.''

Kiwis players had mixed reactions to their teammate's brashness, with lock Adam Blair giving him support but winger Sam Perrett offering a rebuke.

''I'm a fan of being humble, but at the same time, confidence is a necessity to play well in this game and under this pressure,'' said Perrett, who will also play with the former Manly forward at the Roosters next season. ''I think his confidence is really good for us and the team, but my personal belief is that there is a line, and you've got to be humble and respectful at the same time as being confident.''

Thaiday said Waerea-Hargreaves would learn to cool his words over time, but couldn't resist a last dig.

''You always get caught up in those situations,'' Thaiday said. ''I used to be the same. I remember a Queensland Cup game I played, and I almost got my head punched in because Barry Berrigan was having a go at someone, and I jumped on board. They're things you learn over the years, and it's something that he'll learn as well.

''I'm sure he's got plenty more New Zealand caps under his belt and plenty more first-grade games for whatever NRL team he plays for.''

----------------------------------------------

One-in, all-in warns Kiwis rookie

By Steve Mascord
AAP

Tue, 27 Oct 2009

Boom rugby league rookie Jared Waerea-Hargreaves has warned that New Zealand's players will continue to adopt an "all-in" approach if any of their teammates are endangered during the Four Nations.

And the new Sydney Roosters signing remains nonplussed about the fuss caused by his sledging of rival Petero Civoniceva as an "old man" during the 20-20 draw against Australia in London last Saturday.

Not only was the 20-year-old unapologetic about that, but he said the melee which followed Paul Gallen hitting out at Issac Luke would be repeated if any Kiwi was fouled this Saturday against France or in later matches.

"One-in, all-in," said Waerea-Hargreaves.

"Once one bloke goes in, we go in with him.

"As I said, we've always got each other's back.

"It was just good to show everyone back home, all the critics who think we've got no chance in this tournament, that we're capable of playing at this level."

Waerea-Hargreaves has risk-taking in the blood.

His father, Wayne Hargreaves, was working for United Nations peacekeepers in Cambodia in 1997 when kidnapped by guerillas. He was held for 16 days before being released in exchange for weapons and supplies.

Waerea-Hargreaves has only recently got to know his dad, who has also served in trouble spots Kosovo and Baghdad.

He was encouraged by his father to visit Rwanda with a group of National Rugby League players last year on a Christian-driven charity mission.

"Twelve months ago I was in Rwanda and if I didn't make this squad, I was going again," he said.

"I would have been there, but to be here is just unreal and it was always going to be another life experience."

Waerea-Hargreaves said a chat with Kiwis coach Stephen Kearney set the scene for his fiery outing against Australia, highlighted by a thunderous hit on Sam Thaiday.

"Steve had a word to me and said `take your opportunities as they come'," he said.

"I guess one of them just said to me `go hard' and I guess it came off. I was pretty happy with it, awesome.

"It was an unreal feeling to be out there with my brothers and a thing I will never forget.

"We were pretty happy with the result, absolutely. The ball's in our court."

The Kiwis held a weights session on their first full day in Toulouse when new addition Eddy Pettybourne joined them in camp.

The 103kg South Sydney forward's services were secured before the tournament and the Kiwis registered him as their 24th player before taking 23 to Europe.

Injuries to Greg Eastwood and Bronson Harrison prompted Kearney to widen the squad and Pettybourne's arrival will give the coach some back row flexibility.

Harrison suffered a calf injury against Australia that may sideline him for the remainder of the tournament, while Eastwood missed that match due to a hamstring injury.

The Kiwis were scheduled to name their side to play France on Wednesday.

While Harrison is not expected to be a consideration, Eastwood, Jeff Lima (calf), Frank Pritchard (corked thigh) and Issac Luke (head wound) are all likely to be available.

Can't wait for Civoniceva to smash him next time they meet 

It was Civoniceva's first game for many months so he will have played three games before they meet again next time in the final. 

Rambo1987 link said:
See how he goes next year at the Rorters with a target on his head.

With Ryles also at the rorters Hargreaves had better get used to drinking milk from a saucer for the next 3 years.

Good on him. Not enough young blokes having a crack these days. I'm just glad he went to the chooks and not a decent side.

I would love to see the NRL do an investigation on how much actual work some of their players do for these "employers" that employ their players as a 2nd job.

Not naming any names, but I wonder how qualified and good these players REALLY are at turfing elite sports grounds.

Speaking of Rwanda, I notice the Eels players just got back from a week there.  I trust they were good enough to distribute all those un-needed "Eels Premiers 2009" T shirts they had printed.

Matabele link said:
Speaking of Rwanda, I notice the Eels players just got back from a week there.  I trust they were good enough to distribute all those un-needed \"Eels Premiers 2009\" T shirts they had printed.
Nah!!! The kids there were already wearing the 'St George Premiers 2009' ones. Shipped out two weeks earlier!!! :) :) :) :)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6