Harrigan has a point

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
I rarely agree with this bloke but his call for ' golden try' is a good one IMO. Last night's dive by Luke should convince everybody that the rule needs implementing.
The ' Boys didn't deserve to lose it that way, but obviously Crowe has been giving his troops acting lessons. If the 'hit' was bad then by all means give a penalty, but in 'golden try' period you can't take a penalty kick at goal or a drop kick. If one team infringes deliberately then the ref should yellow card a player.

Golden point is basically a field goal shootout these days anyway. Golden try would be worth a shot, would definitely make it more exciting and promote ball play.

Still a draw after extra time a penalty shoot out type of system but with one on one try attempts would be kind of interesting maybe. One attacker versus one defender, from 10m line and try has to be scored between goalposts or something.

Golden try seems retarded to me,leave it as is or go
to 10min extra time

Last night was nothing in the grand scheme of things

I'm yet to be convinced that a draw at the end of 80 isn't OK. What I think should happen, is that after 80 minutes both sides get a point and the team winning in extra time get a bonus point.

I have always like the point each at fulltime and play for the extra point in extra time. A field goal is fine by me.

DSM5 said:
I'm yet to be convinced that a draw at the end of 80 isn't OK. What I think should happen, is that after 80 minutes both sides get a point and the team winning in extra time get a bonus point.

That us exactly what I think, and when brought up those against it say you can't have 1 game giving out 3 points while the others give out 2

Hate golden point, golden try would be an improvement on a crap concept. Any wonder harrigan wants it to change, it takes heat of the refs. Golden point is adjudicated completely different to the first 80.

jbb/james said:
Hate golden point, golden try would be an improvement on a crap concept. Any wonder harrigan wants it to change, it takes heat of the refs. Golden point is adjudicated completely different to the first 80.

That penalty would have been given at anytime

didnt see last nights game so not commenting on that incident. Its a generalisation

The thing is it wasn't given

And if the refs miss it, then to be a penalty it has to be worthy of going on report, and last night wasn't even close to that

IMO Golden point should only apply if a result (winner) is required. During the regular season a draw should stand and each team receive a point. The point that teams receive from a draw will help separate teams that would otherwise be on equal points meaning we wouldn't have to rely on for and against as much in determining positions. Only during Origin and Finals matches should there be extra time. Extra time should be ten minutes each way, not golden point. Golden point can apply only if it's a draw after extra time.

How about to turn it around a bit more
have golden point but dont stop the game when someone scores, play the whole 10min out

Berkeley_Eagle said:
have golden point but dont stop the game when someone scores, play the whole 10min out

That would just be extra time then , not golden point.

If it's changed to golden try, then what would be the benefit from a penalty given right in front of the posts. Teams would simply run up off side time & time again if there were no consequences.

I say get rid of it altogether. A draw after 80 minutes is 1 point each, just like it was before some fool came up with let's have a "fieldgoalathon."

Berkeley_Eagle said:

i think a try in extra time should end the game, but if a field goal or penalty goal in kicked its play on until either a try is scored or extra time is up at which time whoever is in front wins, or a draw if still tied

castle eagle said:
Berkeley_Eagle said:

i think a try in extra time should end the game, but if a field goal or penalty goal in kicked its play on until either a try is scored or extra time is up at which time whoever is in front wins, or a draw if still tied

What would happen if say Manly and Parra have a 12 all draw. It goes to golden point. Manly kick three penalty goals in the first 9 mins of extra time to lead 18-12. Parramatta score a try on full-time and miss the conversion. Would Parramatta 16 defeat Manly 18 because they scored the golden try?

Ralphie said:
If it's changed to golden try, then what would be the benefit from a penalty given right in front of the posts. Teams would simply run up off side time & time again if there were no consequences.

I say get rid of it altogether. A draw after 80 minutes is 1 point each, just like it was before some fool came up with let's have a "fieldgoalathon."

Like I said in the original post, if a player deliberately/continually infringes then he gets sent to the sin bin.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6