Harrigan proposes 20-40 Rule

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Eagles2nv

DESpicable Manly
Referees boss Bill Harrigan has proposed a 20-40 rule and the NRL could trial it in next year's All Stars game.

The league already has a 40-20 rule, where a team can earn the loose head and feed at a scrum if their kicker, from inside his own 40m zone, finds touch in the opposition's 20.

Harrigan's proposal would offer the same reward to a team kicking from inside their 20 and finding the sideline in the opposition's 40.

"If a team needs to get down there quickly because they need to get some points and time's running out, they might chance their arm, kick it downfield again and try and get that scrum ... so they're on the attack straight away rather than trying to bust it out of their own half," Harrigan told ABC Radio on Sunday.

The former No.1 whistleblower has taken his idea to the NRL and he said the response had been positive.

"They've said yes, it's a good idea to talk about at the end of the season and maybe (they'll) use it, in consultation with (NRL All Stars coach) Wayne Bennett at the All Stars game next year," Harrigan said.

Meanwhile, Harrigan has backed video referee Sean Hampstead after South Sydney were awarded a golden point extra time penalty that clinched the Rabbitohs' 26-24 win over North Queensland on Friday night.

Cowboys hooker James Segeyaro clipped Issac Luke high, the Souths No.9 staying down which allowed Hampstead to view the incident.

Rabbitohs halfback Chris Sandow's penalty goal proved the match-winner, but the ruling incensed Cowboys coach Neil Henry.

"Once he had a look at the video and he's got him clipped in the head, he's got to give the penalty," Harrigan said.

"What Issac Luke did, I can only say that he stayed within the rules as they currently stand.

"I wouldn't be one to say that he stayed down .. I'd certainly say that the rule is in place that, if a player does stay down on the ground, the video referee gets a chance to have a look at it, he will and then he'll make up his mind on what he sees."

Whats everyone's opinion on this. I quite like the rule, i have always been a fan of 40-20 and the idea of 50-10, its the same difference and so many 5th tackle plays are just inside your own 50.

If they're going to do this, they might as well go the whole hog and allow any kick that crosses over 4 x 10 metre lines?

0 40
10 50
20 40
30 30
40 20
50 10

What it would do is force wingers to drop back more often, so presumably give more space for attack.

More important is fixing the broken video ref and 2 ref systems. Have just one on-field ref and have him make any video decisions. Linesmen can mark the 10 metres. Full accountability.

The refereeing is a total disgrace.

Anyone see the JWH try the other night. That ref should never see first grade again.

Dont get me started on Robinson or Cockchin.

Yeah Bill should focus on getting his employees to quit making blatant mistakes. Who referees Bill? lol

I fail to see why the video ref can't rule on forward passes in the try scoring movement, and why not whisper in the refs ear about them while the play in in motion. The blatant ones please. (And don't go on about the car in motion crap). The Goons try on Friday night was there for all to see.

Was Segeyaro (spelling) put on report?I thought it could only be a penalty from the video ref if it was bad enough to put on report.

That was as soft a penalty as you would ever see. But then the Rabbits are meant to be in the eight as darlings of the NRL, along with the tigers.

How's the penalty soft? The guy made contact with the head. It's a penalty every day of the week. Isacc Luke is soft if he stayed down. But then again, If you're gonna draw a penalty and win the game, why not?

Fail in the 20 - 40 Rule.

Get back to playing proper international rugby league rules!
We are fast becoming the CART series of Rugby League around the world.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4