Hasler contract on hold

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
Manly chairman Scott Penn has declared he won't 'send the joint broke' re-signing Des Hasler but is confident the premiership-winning coach will remain at Brookvale well beyond next year.

Read the full article

I only put this up so we all know the 'latest'. I don't write them, just republish so all Manly fans see what is out there. Let's keep it all civil as this is a great week and what Penn says makes sense in this of all weeks. Cheers, MB

It would be tough seeing Dessie coaching another team. I can't really see him leaving though. I know money talks, but I'm sure the contract Manly offer him won't be a pittance.

I guess one positive to draw is that if he does leave, we can burn down the brookvale oval stands and get a new one

Win the premiership
Gain $500,000
Use the prize money to extend Halser's contract

It doesn't seem to be an issue with the board at all like the papers are reporting, just a large sum rival clubs are offering him. And they are going to have to offer him a large amount of money because he has everything he wants at Manly.

And who are the Bulldogs going to hire next year? Which coach is going to want to sign a 1 year contract and wait and see if they sign Hasler in 2013?

I'm sure back in the 'old days' there was an unwritten understanding between Manly and The Berries that they wouldn't poach one another's players and staff. That is obviously no longer in place.

I'm disappointed at the Dogs. They have a good local prospect in Dymock who I imagine would be a little like Des in demanding loyalty and always being prepared. Surely they should stick with him as he will bring back the old Dogs' mongrel.

Now, had the approach to Des come from Easts I wouldn't have been surprised in the least.

Would be tough to see him go,I'm sure the club will offer an acceptable contract, we cannot and should not compete with the ridiculous money that's been reported.
Let's face it, Des was only a minute away from giving up football in 1984 until he was given a lifeline by Manly, and it was the Manly culture that made him what he is today, I'm sure he's aware of it, he knows we're not a wealthy club.
I doubt it if an offer of $200,000 more would sway him, especially to that DOG of a club, it does sound a lot but when the extra tax is taken out,is it really worth it going to THAT club, come on.

Peter C said:
I doubt it if an offer of $200,000 more would sway him, especially to that DOG of a club, it does sound a lot but when the extra tax is taken out,is it really worth it going to THAT club, come on.

Hardly pay the petrol and toll costs getting too and from training, would it?

The word is that the Dogs are looking for a 'development' coach. Des would fit that description. The word is also that Dymock is not that style and hense, the reluctance to sign him.

Which players are their to develop? their roster is awful, not much potential.

Hasler going to the Dogs is like Cleary going to Penrith.

New TV deal = more dollars for club.

Premiers in 2012 + Non bickering board + More professional front office = Better leveraged sponsorship returns and greater membership (let's not cruel another golden opportunity like we did in 2009)

Also if the players love Des so much then let them all take a 5% paycut to boost his salary so he can stay, there's the best part of $200K a year.

I'm pretty confident he'll stay. He and Crusher have developed an awesome young side and he will want to hang around and maximise the return on his investment.

DSM5 said:
The word is that the Dogs are looking for a 'development' coach. Des would fit that description. The word is also that Dymock is not that style and hense, the reluctance to sign him.

I suspect that the development they want Des for has already been done. They're hoping that Hoppa and other boom Manly products will follow him across. That's why he's worth so much money to them. I don't mean to imply he's not a great coach - I hope he coaches the Sea Eagles for the next 20 years - but I think the Bull Dogs have got one eye on him and two more on our young stars (freaks).

you know who we really don't want to lose?? Crusher and his 200 odd talent recruiters. If Des goes, he goes, big shame but life will go on. Cleary must be bit worried as well, nz to panfers

Des has always made it clear he is not a "career coach" like that mercenary clown who went from St Kilda to Fremantle. I very much doubt he could find the same passion and intensity for the Bulldogs as he does for us, and deep down I'm sure he knows that.

I will be broken man the day Des hangs up the headset and Clipboard.

I don't see Des as being a mercenary type of coach.

I think he would have other motivations other than money to coach another side. Going to a side like the scum dogs would be a challenge to Des, starting from scratch and building them into champions (perish the thought).

I hope he never does it and the board can work something out.

Guess we will all have to wait until something official is announced.

Chip and Chase said:

Premiership in 2012 + Non bickering board + More professional front office = Better leveraged sponsorship returns and greater membership (let's not cruel another golden opportunity like we did in 2009)

Also if the players love Des so much then let them all take a 5% paycut to boost his salary so he can stay, there's the best part of $200K a year.

I'm pretty confident he'll stay. He and Crusher have developed an awesome young side and he will want to hang around and maximise the return on his investment.
This is not about the players taking a cut as Des' contract is not included in the salary cap

Peter C said:
Chip and Chase said:

Premiership in 2012 + Non bickering board + More professional front office = Better leveraged sponsorship returns and greater membership (let's not cruel another golden opportunity like we did in 2009)

This is not about the players taking a cut as Des' contract is not included in the salary cap
I think he meant the club being able afford the $ regardless of the cap.

Stuey Davis Socks said:
Peter C said:
Chip and Chase said:

I think he meant the club being able afford the $ regardless of the cap.

That's exactly what I meant.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6