Hasler deserves our respect

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
I remember in the days before and after Hasler announced his move to the Bulldogs the general opinion of the Silvertails forums was that the squad he would have to work with over there was dreadful.  "Lucky to win the wooden spoon", "no chance of the finals" etc summed up the sentiment of most, if not all (myself included).

Read the full article

Hasler does know how to train and drill the troops. They had a plan when down our end. Whereas the manly squad looked like they were improvising.

He built our club up. For that he should be respected. And for the fact he tried to destroy it when he left, he shouldn't be.

I respect Des as a coach.
2 premiereships in 4 years, 3 GFs in 5 years and has taken a nufty team of 'out of Top 8' to premiership top position.

But back in July 2011, he seemed to be a Lone Ranger, expecting the Board to acceed to every whim he thought, without as much as a 'Please Explain'.

We had two ordinary years in 2009 & 2010 and 2011 (in July) we were travelling well, but not staring.
Des 'demanded' everything and was giving away nothing.

Yep, he won v Bulldogs last night but I think we're a much better Club for him being shown the door.

Look he has done well, but maybe he got lucky in some respects with cattle. James Graham has been massive for them this year, they've unearthed a talent in Reynolds (not sure how much Des had to do with that ... another DCE perhaps ?) and Barba has been a revelation at fullback. Midseason buys of Inu and Perrett has strengthened what was a bit of an ordinary outside back roster, so that has helped his cause. If he keeps Inu firing on all cylinders than maybe he is the messiah, as a few have tried in the past and failed.

Their forward pack was always pretty strong so I didn't subscribe to the theory that they would be wooden spooners, they just missed the 8 last year, and 2009 they finished second. They have a pretty reasonable side and Des has taken them up a notch or two. His coaching style works, look at our record over the last 5 years. So if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I still don't think they will win it this year, I firmly believe that finals pressure will get to guys like Reynolds, Barba, Inu, Keating etc. They don't have a real experienced, cool, calm head that can take the reins when the chips are down. No Killer, no Lockyer, no Smith, no Thurston etc. Who plays that role for them ??

I struggle to see how a dog of a person manages to get such exceptional results out of a squad of, primarily, dull men so consistently.

Its indisputable that Hasler is an outstanding coach and as a coach deserves respect.

But Matabele, if that piece then relies on the following "Last night we were out-coached, out-played and out-enthused" as some sort of evidence of his superiority as coach I would have to disagree.

I dont think the bulldogs team played better than the Manly team last night and I dont think Hasler out coached Toovey last night.

I would give Hasler respect & I would also give Toovey the respect he deserves as a 1st year coach aswell.

That's what I want to do after a loss to the doggies.

Reflect on how awesome Des is.

The relative positions of both sides on the table compared with the prevailing opinion of their squad strength at the beginning of the season would indicate it's not just about last night. We played 15 men last night and looked clueless. There was some effort, but it was primarily misguided and bereft. We didn't really look like scoring except for Lyon's passion (which was not evident amongst most of the other 16). Even DCE is starting to look more like a Michael Monaghan with his vague and directionless circling.

As for Hasler's alleged attempts to destroy the club etc, where is the legal action then?

globaleagle said:
That's what I want to do after a loss to the doggies.

Reflect on how awesome Des is.
lol
I didn't want to reflect on it but to some extent he's rammed it down our throats.

I'm not privy to the KPI issue or the details of his departure - but I share the general sentiment. I said last week he could attend my bbq (so long as he didn't nick anything on his way out) :)

I was lucky to meet a few of our players recently and was curious as to their feelings. I know a few have stated publicly that they still regard him as a friend, but there are also some who feel let down by the manner and timing of his departure.

I think that showed a little last night. Too much emotion and not enough science from some of our fellows.

lovefooty said:
Napper said:
As much as i hate to, i agree. Can't question his ability as a coach.

I have never said that he was anything but a good coach but he is a dog of a person.

I suppose you know him personally.Im willing to bet , that you are more of a dog of a person than him.Just a hunch !!

Of course he's a great coach that why what he did cuts to core of our fanbase.

One thing that ****s me is how the media didn't have this jizzfest over him when he was our coach.

I must say I'm over the upstarts at foxsports and foxsports news (except for blowfly).

I really hope ch 10 get the rights and play all 8 games so I never have to listen to Smith, Daley, Gasiner,Ikin, Kimmorley and bletcher again.

Chip and Chase said:
Look he has done well, but maybe he got lucky in some respects with cattle. James Graham has been massive for them this year, they've unearthed a talent in Reynolds (not sure how much Des had to do with that ... another DCE perhaps ?) and Barba has been a revelation at fullback. Midseason buys of Inu and Perrett has strengthened what was a bit of an ordinary outside back roster, so that has helped his cause. If he keeps Inu firing on all cylinders than maybe he is the messiah, as a few have tried in the past and failed.

Their forward pack was always pretty strong so I didn't subscribe to the theory that they would be wooden spooners, they just missed the 8 last year, and 2009 they finished second. They have a pretty reasonable side and Des has taken them up a notch or two. His coaching style works, look at our record over the last 5 years. So if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I still don't think they will win it this year, I firmly believe that finals pressure will get to guys like Reynolds, Barba, Inu, Keating etc. They don't have a real experienced, cool, calm head that can take the reins when the chips are down. No Killer, no Lockyer, no Smith, no Thurston etc. Who plays that role for them ??
very well said... but of all games this year of all teams they have had the better of football gods with decisions that have helped their results... that wont last in the semi s

i wish them all th ebad luck a team can get and scum des too

Matabele said:
The relative positions of both sides on the table compared with the prevailing opinion of their squad strength at the beginning of the season would indicate it's not just about last night. We played 15 men last night and looked clueless. There was some effort, but it was primarily misguided and bereft. We didn't really look like scoring except for Lyon's passion (which was not evident amongst most of the other 16). Even DCE is starting to look more like a Michael Monaghan with his vague and directionless circling.

As for Hasler's alleged attempts to destroy the club etc, where is the legal action then?

A lack of passion among the other 16 ? Going way too far mate, and a joke to label King's effort lacking of passion

Manly were in turmoil and Hasler turned the whole club around, now the Dogs were in turmoil and look what he is doing for them!

robbiea said:
lovefooty said:
Napper said:
As much as i hate to, i agree. Can't question his ability as a coach.

I have never said that he was anything but a good coach but he is a dog of a person.

I suppose you know him personally.Im willing to bet , that you are more of a dog of a person than him.Just a hunch !!

is it just me ??? or is there others that havnt forgotten what he did when he was asked to leave ( coaches,players poached, being a spiteful prick ) ... i dont know the truth behind the scenes but it takes 2 to tango if he was such a great person and no doubt he has proven he can coach and have success .. WHY then did the board of our club that we follow sacked him ??? is the board stupid or did they see something else in Des which was more important to the club than his success ??

I respect him as a successful coach.
I disrespect him for the manner in which he departed.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6