Hasler disappointed with performance

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter
Manly coach Des Hasler says his team virtually handed the Melbourne Storm victory on a plate at Olympic Park on Friday night.

Speaking after the Storm had won the grand final rematch 26-4 to maintain their 100 percent winning record at home against the Sea Eagles, Hasler said the visitors shot themselves in the foot.

"(I'm) pretty disappointed with the way we played," Hasler said. "I think Melbourne just persevered and were a little bit better at the important parts of the game like controlling the ground."

"We just gave away too much possession to a side that … they're the last side in the competition that you want to give ball to and field position. We were guilty of making silly errors and giving away penalties with discipline. Consequently, they scored 12, 18 points off us."

For 30 minutes, I thought we were right in the arm wrestle, we certainly weren't playing up to our best, but a side like Melbourne you can't give points away, particularly early, because they're very hard to run down."

Hasler was loathe to admit that the Storm had played well, preferring to suggest it was a combination of his players' poor game and the hosts' 'disciplined' performance, thoughts echoed by captain Matt Orford.

"They're just a disciplined football side," Orford said.

"They don't make errors at their own end, we were very guilty of that, we played the majority of our football in our half, and like Des said, you turn the ball over that much and give them that much field position, they're going to make you pay."

But with speculation about the chances of the likes of full-back Brett Stewart and several others in the Manly side being picked in the Kangaroos team for next month's Centenary Test against New Zealand, Orford said that was the last thing on the players' minds.

"It was too big of a match to even worry about that stuff," he said. "We had our hands full, it was a real short turnaround, and this road trip down here, it's not called 'The Graveyard' for nothing."

"I'd be very surprised if anyone had rep football on their mind, it was a tough enough task to come down here and get the two points off these blokes."

For f--k sake they were playing at home i think if this game was at brookie we would have lifted another 70% it would have been much closer.

PONTIAN SEA EAGLE link said:
For f--k sake they were playing at home i think if this game was at brookie we would have lifted another 70% it would have been much closer.

Mate - if it takes us having to be at Brooky to lift another 70%, then we have a serious, serious attitude problem.

Canteen Worker link said:
I don't think it is any coincidence that they have won 24 out of 25 at home.

In that case, the blame lays squarely on Des Haslers shoulders, as it's entirely an attitude thing. Most grounds are pretty well the same shape, size, and have grass to run on.

Ryan, I am sure you are right. Of course it is Des' fault that Manly lost, that Melbourne have beaten Manly every time they have ever played at home and he basically told the players that they could not win and that he destroyed their attitude by conceding the win.

Canteen Worker link said:
Ryan, I am sure you are right. Of course it is Des' fault that Manly lost, that Melbourne have beaten Manly every time they have ever played at home and he basically told the players that they could not win and that he destroyed their attitude by conceding the win.

I will remain balanced here, because I know you are fishing.

The Manly Sera Eagles from about 2006 on, has the ability to lift in certain games, and dominate. Other times, we look slow, lethargic and dis-interested.

If it's not Des Hasler's call to make this team aggresive, have passion and work as a fast, well oiled machine as a unit, who's job is it Canteen?

We have the players to be there or there abouts. Why aren't we producing? We have Des Hasler and Geoff Toovey as coaches. They both played a large part of their careers in the 1/2's. Why are ours so lacking in creativity? Where is Orford's improvement? Isn't that a coaches role? To improve his players?

You comments border idiocy above, and yes, I know they are laced with sarcasm. But I don't understand (and some people will disagree with me here) that I believe we have an on par roster with Melbourne, so why don't we dominate, and have that ruthless attitude they have?

Ryan, my point is that the coach is just one factor in the equation. When I played footy there were times when we played well and other times, despite the coach saying that you must not take an opposition lightly etc, we did.

If Manly needed Des to motivate them last Friday night, they should not be playing first grade.

We were up against a trip 1000 km to Melbourne who were on their own turf, they were right up for the game, they have great backs such as Inglis and co and we had no ball in the first 20 mins and tackled ourselves to tiredness.  None of that has to do with Des.

You make good points about creativity and Orford. The rest of the season will answer your questions. However, we thought Des did a good job last year (till the GF) and surely he has not lost the plot in the off-season. To just point the finger at the coach is usually simplistic, though that is what usually happens.

I thought the guys looked motivated. After listening to the radio coverage and then watching the game (delayed in QLD), for the first 30mins I thought 'we look good'.

It was a shame that 2 penalties led directly to trys and if you think a little more with your head and not your heart the score could very well have been 18 - 10, excepting the fact that manly would have got a boost out of being 8 behind with 30 to go. Thats not such a bad result given the number of teams that come away with wins in Melbourne.

Take the ref out of the game and the resulting score wouldn't have been so big, regardless of whether we were just hanging on.

Flip link said:
I thought the guys looked motivated. After listening to the radio coverage and then watching the game (delayed in QLD), for the first 30mins I thought 'we look good'.

It was a shame that 2 penalties led directly to trys and if you think a little more with your head and not your heart the score could very well have been 18 - 10, excepting the fact that manly would have got a boost out of being 8 behind with 30 to go. Thats not such a bad result given the number of teams that come away with wins in Melbourne.

Take the ref out of the game and the resulting score wouldn't have been so big, regardless of whether we were just hanging on.

Add the points that Melbourne bombed and it wouldn't of been 18-10.

Ryan, re worded some of your post here

Every NRL side bar Melbourne, from about 2006 on, has the ability to lift in certain games, and dominate. Other times, they look slow, lethargic and dis-interested.

Even once I put aside the anguish from last Friday its still hard to gauge where we are at this year.

We have been faced with erratic quality of opposition in rounds 1-4 to arrive against another top flight performance from the mexicans which is quite incomparable to the rest of the comp.

Doesnt matter what opinions anyone has at this point, this year could go either way for us.

My assesment Jatz, is that we are in the pack. This time last year we were a cut above the pack, but not at that level yet this season

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Ryan, re worded some of your post here

Every NRL side bar Melbourne, from about 2006 on, has the ability to lift in certain games, and dominate. Other times, they look slow, lethargic and dis-interested.

Hmmmmm - Actually - that is probably very accurate mate. I honestly think this Friday will be the acid test.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6