Hasler gives Steve Menzies the job on Greg Inglis

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Hasler gives Steve Menzies the job on Greg Inglis

By Dean Ritchie

August 08, 2008
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24143976-5001023,00.html

MANLY coach Des Hasler has handed the club's great old campaigner Steve Menzies a task few in rugby league have been able to achieve - stopping Melbourne Storm sensation Greg Inglis.

Nearing 35, Menzies will play five-eighth against the world's best player in tonight's match of the year in front of 21,000 fans at Brookvale Oval.

Menzies has achieved just about everything in rugby league but now faces one of his biggest challenges against the 21-year-old Inglis, a true superstar at the top of his game.

While declaring he is up to the challenge of halting Inglis, Menzies admits the Storm, Queensland and Test star could become one of the greatest players in rugby league's 100-year history.

"(Inglis) is an awesome player with a killer fend. Inglis has it all. He's a freakish talent," Menzies said. "He runs when he wants, can palm off, has athletic ability and can beat a player.

"You just can't give him any room. He's particularly dangerous 20m-30m out from your tryline so you have to restrict his chances. It will be a great challenge for me because he is on fire," Menzies said.

"We both have the same number on our back so it will be an individual contest, but it will be a test for the whole team really."

Manly had a final training session last night and will start tonight's thunderous match as $2.25 outsiders with Melbourne $1.60 favourites.

The Storm have won their past two matches, including last year's grand final, but have only won once at Brookvale in a decade.

Sea Eagles skipper Matt Orford agreed Inglis could finish his career a true great. Asked was Inglis the game's best player, Orford said: "I think so. He's right up there. He has grown in confidence and become more mature. He's the one they go to to make a difference."

Storm coach Craig Bellamy spoke about the perils of playing at Brookvale. "Manly have a far superior points-for-and-against tally so they effectively have a two-game lead over us, Cronulla and Sydney in the race for top spot," Bellamy said.

"But no team has ever won three minor premierships in a row in the NRL, and while that's not our number one goal, it would be wonderful."

The biggest problem for most clubs is when they see Inglis has the ball they start back peddling.

You try pushing a bloke over while he's running backwards. Get up in his face, he's only human.

Good new for us.  Inglis needs to be crushed early and often and the Beaver will do it.  With Beaver in his face then Matai can hit him very hard, shoulder to the ribcage would be my advice. Hold him up and then come in from the side.  Crunchhh.  All good.  Eagles 1 - 12.       

There is nobody else I would trust to mark against Inglis. Beaver will have a hard task but he knows how and when to cut them down with venom.

Paper talk. Players do not man up man-on-man anymore. Beaver will defend third from the edge on one side and it is unlikely the Inglis will choose to position himself in front of him continually.

The line of defence is much more important than the individuals that make it up.

Canteen Worker link said:
Paper talk. Players do not man up man-on-man anymore. Beaver will defend third from the edge on one side and it is unlikely the Inglis will choose to position himself in front of him continually.

The line of defence is much more important than the individuals that make it up.

Nonetheless CW, Beaver to cut Inglis in half and Perry to induce a crocker coma.

You know its good.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4