Hasler - No more excuses

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DVS Matt

Bencher
Hasler - No more excuses
By Todd Balym and Steve Jancetic
September 04, 2007 MANLY coach Des Hasler says his side have no excuses if they deliver another finals campaign failure, unconcerned by the club's sporadic form and loss of Test prop Brent Kite with an adductor strain.

The Sea Eagles have not won a finals game since 1997 and Hasler knows there is increasing pressure on Manly to break the drought at Brookvale Oval on Saturday night against South Sydney.

Manly have stumbled into the finals since they secured outright second on the NRL table, successive losses followed by an unconvincing win last start against St George Illawarra raising questions over the Sea Eagles' title credentials. But with his squad at almost full strength, Hasler says the time for excuses is over.

Adam Cuthbertson has been promoted to the starting line up for the first time in his short career, while Steve Menzies, Chris Hicks and Luke Williamson were all named to come back from injury.

"We've had back-to-back losses there (but) you can easily qualify those and I'm sure you know the answers to that," Hasler said. "We had to finish with a win on Sunday and we did that and got the job done.

"I could throw a thousand cliches at you but it really starts now, and the onus is on the next four weeks and there's no more excuses. The players are well versed and know what's required. They know the importance of the next couple of games.

"There's a lot more maturity in the side and a lot more first grade experience throughout the side (than previous years) and all those things count at the end of the day."

Hasler has resisted the urge for big changes to his squad that beat the Dragons last week, with Menzies forced onto the bench as Jamie Lyon retains five-eighth and Steve Matai is in the centres.

Kite, who initially feared his NRL season was over because of injury, said he would continue to prepare as if he could play on Saturday although he is more likely to return in the grand final qualifier - should the Sea Eagles qualify.

Rabbitohs coach Jason Taylor has made no changes to his side that lost to the Sydney Roosters last week.

Taylor is keeping faith with the same men that upset Wests Tigers at Leichhardt Oval a fortnight ago, backing them to also overcome another hostile suburban ground in the sudden death final.

AAP

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7