Hasler's the man to lead Roos: Menzies

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
Adrian Proszenko | January 25, 2009 From the Daily Smelly

STEVE MENZIES has anointed Manly coach Des Hasler as the man to replace Ricky Stuart and lead the Kangaroos back to international supremacy.

The Australian coaching job is still up for grabs after Stuart stepped down following his infamous World Cup confrontation with referee Ashley Klein.

While Mal Meninga remains the favourite, Menzies believes Hasler is perfectly suited to the post after overseeing the Sea Eagles' revival, which culminated in last year's premiership win.

"Dessie loves a good challenge," Menzies told The Sun-Herald from his new English base of Bradford.

"There's the disappointment of the last World Cup and he would love to come in to face a challenge like that. He's a very intense bloke and he would do very well.

"He's passionate about all the teams he coaches, so he'd love it."

Hasler has indicated the job "isn't one you put your hand up for" and that he wouldn't consider it unless he was approached by the ARL. However, Menzies was adamant his former coach should be seriously considered.

"It's not as if he'd [publicly] say 'pick me, pick me'," Menzies said.

"It just shows the high regard he has for the position. Dessie has come of age over the past two or three seasons as a first-grade coach.

"When he first started he was on a fairly steep learning curve and he's gotten better and better.

"He's had some reasonably talented young guys to work with, but the guy steering the ship has got to get them in the right frame of mind so their talents can shine through.

"He's done that very well with a lot of the young guys."

Manly were easybeats when Hasler took over in 2004 following the Northern Eagles debacle, but the former Australian halfback has again transformed the club into a premiership force. Bookies have installed the Sea Eagles as favourites for this year.

It's understood Meninga would accept the national post if it was offered to him, although he won't relinquish his Queensland job in order to coach the Kangaroos.

ARL policy prevents a State of Origin coach from also overseeing the national team.

Other potential contenders include Wests Tigers mentor Tim Sheens and Gold Coast counterpart John Cartwright, who was Stuart's assistant during the World Cup.

Like Hasler, Sheens said it would be inappropriate for him to publicly express interest in the prestigious role.

"With those things, you don't ponder what might happen or who should get it," Sheens said.

"I haven't given it any thought, I'm obviously looking at what we're doing here at club level.

"Don't get me wrong, the Australian coaching role is one that anybody would consider, you'd be mad not to, it's like being picked to play for Australia.

"You don't go worrying about it, whoever gets it will do a good job."

The issue is likely to be resolved at an ARL board meeting next month.

Menzies, meanwhile, joked that the move from Brookvale to Bradford was taking some getting used to.

"There was some ice on the ground at training [this week], it wasn't full snow this time," the versatile back-rower said.

"Still, it can make your toes quite chilly."

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4