[Resurrected] Yukon, Hat Kon, we all Kon!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
RE: Hat Gets Lei'd!!!! (In Hawaii!)

Still steaming between the ears, it was time to go to the wildly misleading named 'beach 69' for my mad monday.

Snorkling with a turtle just off the beach improved the mood a little.

Especially since you don't see turtles with snorkles that often!

lp3xPt3.jpg

Suitably wet, Hat returned to his own "fortress" - of Hawaii.
J0AtA4S.jpg

RE: Hat - mad (annoyed) Monday.

Jatz Crackers said:
globaleagle said:
Especially since you don't see turtles with snorkles that often!

Its easier to look through the goggles instead.

lol.

Bugger, I thought I covered off on any possible puns/innuendos/double meanings.

Couldn't beat the jatz! (who's turtle in his avatar looks familiar!) - I'm tired.

RE: Hat - mad (annoyed) Monday.

So after a day of sightseeing Hat's owner and better half thought it'd be a good idea to try climbing the "Ha'iku stairs."

Bad idea. Now to get the haiku jokes outta the way....

These stairs are so tough,
Only attempt if you are,
really, really fit.

3,922 stairs - and a lot of it straight up. And that's after crawling past no trespassing signs and dodging the guard at the bottom.

Anyway, see the ridges on the mountain behind me, that's basically what the rusty, uneven, slippery stairs run up!

7XCrHew.jpg

Now the views are spectacular - if the cloud doesn't cover everything.

Hat's owner's sweaty arm is telling his brain..."You are going to die soon!"
In a lot of cases, if your hand slips off the handrail (which you use when the steps are vertical) you are falling straight down, and it's a fair way down!

5pGac17.jpg

A pic showing how steep the stairs can be. GE (+ me) is the tiny dot.

ErOOpJV.jpg

Thankfully, the weather closed in so we went back without reaching the top. Legs were like jelly, arms were aching, and the heart was pounding the chest like it wanted to leave.

We'll get to the top next time!

RE: Hat gets a new owner (almost.)

Was it in the 59th minute of the climb that your legs gave out? :s

Next year you must climb into the 626th Bay at ANZ Stadium to cheer Manly on to a Premiership :idea:

Even the photos give me the shakes - I can not stand on a chair unaided without feeling dizzy :(

HappilyManly said:
Was it in the 59th minute of the climb that your legs gave out? :s

Next year you must climb into the 626th Bay at ANZ Stadium to cheer Manly on to a Premiership :idea:

Even the photos give me the shakes - I can not stand on a chair unaided without feeling dizzy :(

I needed a Donny Singe pre season training session!

Geez it's hard to stay on the front page!

Ok so off we went on a much much much easier hike. Mariners Ridge.

Trouble was, it was so foggy at the top. We waited for ages to get a quick snap. As you can see, I was quite deflated!

JS6wuLq.jpg

Then off to the "Big Island" actually called Hawai'i but it confuses the tourists.

Ya know what happened here? Cap'n cook pushed his luck once too often!
Truly one of the world's great navigators, but should have learnt how to duck.
Bumped off at Kealakekua Bay in Kona (yes, that coffee Kona) it is a long hike downhill and a bloody hot hike back up. Great snorkeling though.

BReK9oL.jpg

EYYI4Q2.jpg

There's actually a plaque on the 'exact' spot Cook met his end, but the tide was in and so I couldn't see it. Instead I waved and took a pic of 2 black crabs, made friends with indian mongoose who like peanuts and some cheeky red headed birds that snuck up and ate anything.

Oh, and my owner/pet lost a sock.

RE: Hat goes high and just misses cap'n cook.

Hooray for the off season!

Dear hermaphrodites of all genders,

The final (thankfully) installment.

Over on the big island (Hawai'i), the land of volcanoes....and macadamia nuts. Ok, kona coffee as well.

Heading on a big day out....what's that little lump in the background you ask? It's actually the world's tallest mountain, Mauna Kea! Now tallest doesn't mean highest...to all of you about to post 'Mt Everest, Global ya kava swilling crock pot!'

j8WYQnv.jpg

Then off for a walk along a actual volcanic crater named Kilauea Iki. The steam coming out of the ground represents my head whislt watching the grand final.

0gClrOk.jpg

Time then to go meet my red hot lover!

Wait! What's that?? You meant Lava?!?!?! Ahhhh get me the hell away from this GE! It's actual Lava! You tool and it's actually moving towards me!!! (can't tell in this pic) Also GE stood on that Lava 10 mins later!

GE actually bought a stick and marshmellows and is now one of the few people in the world to have roasted marshmellows over lava!

The walk was long, kinda tough, and amazingly worth it! Thank you Ahiu Hawaii!

WKW97Dy.jpg

Ahhh nighttime and safe again. Looking over to the Halema'uma'u crater. The crater is a few hundred meters long (for a perspective check).

VdBYusE.jpg

Of course, no sense in looking at the world's tallest mountain without going up it. This has the world's large astronomical observatory on it. Also where nasa tests the rovers, etc. Being up above 40% of the worlds atmosphere, made it weird to get dizzy! No oxygen = hard to walk!
Anyway have a nice pic, sans hat!

QOqWOgp.jpg

What's wandering around an old island without seeing some ancient petroglyphs. It was hot so I wanted to see if one wanted some shade.

There were dozens of these things. Many were simply a small hole where the people thought if they put their child's umbilical cords in them, then their child will have an important connection with the island.

FTaZgDa.jpg

Finally (yay) can you see hat? Me neither, make sure you pick somewhere out of the wind to take pics of your hat, otherwise hat goes a-flying away! If you look at the left hand side of the, about halfway down you can see a white tarpaulin. Under here was where the Japanese surrender papers ending world war 2 was signed.

DeL7pir.jpg

In conclusion: Hawaii good! Go see Manta rays, actual lava, Pearl Harbour, and down some Loco Moco.

~ Hat

RE: Hat's red hot Lover! (hubba hubba!)

Wonder how long people will still see oil leaking from Pearl Harbour for?
A mate went there recently and he said it's quite surreal still seeing oil coming up from the sea floor 70 years later.

eagles2win said:
Wonder how long people will still see oil leaking from Pearl Harbour for?
A mate went there recently and he said it's quite surreal still seeing oil coming up from the sea floor 70 years later.

You mean like this?

I'm not sure how long. Goes to show just how much is still down there. The camera can't really show the 'globs' floating up from underneath so that's the best I could do.

yMEDoWA.jpg

There are many interesting stories that abound at pearl harbour. There's a free tour on the uss Missouri. In a nearby hanger there is an old aussie F1-11. Looking at the 'saddle' where the Japanese fighters came on through to hearing about a young girls funeral - 70 years late. An enjoyable and somber as well day.

Here's a pic - just for replying!

G6hNqsq.jpg

Have you been in Hawaii since the start of the month?

That Hat is living the life of Riley :)

Where did you see the Mantas - they are on my To Do list. Although the Eagle and Leopard Rays in Tahiti were pretty awesome too.

HappilyManly said:

Where did you see the Mantas - they are on my To Do list. Although the Eagle and Leopard Rays in Tahiti were pretty awesome too.

Sorry HM, I went to bed!

Errr, I've been back for awhile. Hat's just been lazy in updating his amazing voyages that everyone loves to hear about! :angel:

We saw the manta's in Kailua- Kona!

http://www.jacksdivinglocker.com/snorkeling/boat-snorkeling/manta-ray-night-snorkel/

T'was awesome (probably like you experienced in Tahiti by the sounds).

No touching the Mantas though, you scrape off their protective mucus (eww).

globaleagle said:
HappilyManly said:

Sorry HM, I went to bed!

Errr, I've been back for awhile. Hat's just been lazy in updating his amazing voyages that everyone loves to hear about! :angel:

We saw the manta's in Kailua- Kona!

http://www.jacksdivinglocker.com/snorkeling/boat-snorkeling/manta-ray-night-snorkel/

T'was awesome (probably like you experienced in Tahiti by the sounds).

No touching the Mantas though, you scrape off their protective mucus (eww).

Word on the street is the hat has caught nits on this trip bro ;)

^ That could well be true. GE's kinda feral!!

Hat's 2014 'show goes on' tour.

Hi folks, in this edition titled "the show must go on" tour, 2014 Hat finally gets to get out of Canada!

8E9GFFQ.jpg

After all, this year hat's had a trip to Switzerland and a trip to Chile cancelled on him at the last moment!

yFaOfo6.jpg

- Shhhhhhh, everything's all right.

However, he gets to go 'home' so the pics are probably things you've all seen....so prepare to be mildly interested, or somewhat indifferent (not a poll).

First stop, Queenstown, New Zealand. Home of Hobbits and ....things.

There a lot to do here, especially if you a) like the snow and b) bought your wallets - and the neighbour's too.

uADrvDx.jpg

Being somewhat friendly, and a sun lover, Hat meets some new friends (not for dinner).

LPQxC1p.jpg

However it was a quick stop over and I had to get back to aust for you know what. I think we'll return here soon.

Hat: We better!
GE: Shutup Hat or I'll put a cap in your.....cap I guess.

Down to Jindabyne where even though it gets really cold, some 'eco hotels' don't understand the concept of double glazing or even making doors that fit. Note: If your guests are sleeping under 4 doona's....you need a better door!

Pretty though! Hat goes 'Aussie.'

Vsq3lOv.jpg

L3Hn4Qh.jpg

But the call of the snow is a strong yell indeed. Soon it was back to Perisher (after a few days at Thredbo.) I've seen less charges in the worlds biggest car battery plant. These guys now how to, and do, charge you for everything!

LMvJrEF.jpg

And finally....(so far)....the world's worst pic. Taken in a hotel, through a grimy window, just to try and show you the tiny spec in the background that is sydney's centrepoint tower.

6ZSdxG6.jpg

Back to New Zealand.......(and hopefully better pics)

RE: Hat's 2014 'show goes on'.....tour

Bravo, bon voyages in progress, impressive how hat stays clean and mark-free despite travelling long distances.

And @globaleagle

My hats are now "complaining" !

At least pop a pic or two in the Postcards from Home thread to shut 'em up.

Did anyone meet hat at the Titan's game or function? Or maybe the elusive GE himself??

Spill it Manly fans. What goes on head, stays on head is wearing thin :)

ManlyBacker said:
Did anyone meet hat at the Titan's game or function? Or maybe the elusive GE himself??

Spill it Manly fans. What goes on head, stays on head is wearing thin :)

lol

Hat (and GE) went to the 2010 titans game (we lost) and also the after match function.

Whilst waiting for a bus I spoke to another Manly family of fans and got them to promise to join up as members. Wonder if they did?

But being the shy and retiring type my better half and I just stood back and admired the players...you guys are kinda scary.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4