Heart Surgery for Lowe

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man
newsPeople10 Dec 09 @ 05:22pm by JASON AVEDISSIAN

GRAHAM Lowe has received assurances from his cardiologist he will recover perfectly from bypass surgery next week to continue in his role as Sea Eagles CEO. The newly-appointed Sea Eagles boss revealed to The Manly Daily yesterday he will undergo bypass surgery on his heart in Auckland towards the end of next week.

Mr Lowe visited his cardiologist yesterday morning and was given a full medical clearance that he could continue in his job in the new year.

“I’ve got no problems once this is rectified,” he said.

The 63-year-old collapsed at Auckland International Airport on Monday while waiting to board a flight to Sydney.

Initial tests cleared the former Manly Sea Eagles coach, but further tests, conducted over the past 48 hours, have revealed “a number of blockages” in his arteries with surgery required.

“I’m just pleased and relieved they have found a problem because I knew there was something not right,” Mr Lowe said from Auckland yesterday.

“Even though the operation is quite intrusive, I’ll have no problems whatsoever. I’ve had it done before, in 1993, and it lasted me 16 years. If this one can last me another 16 years at Manly that would be great.

“It’s going to be difficult, the procedure is not easy to go through, but the main thing is that it’s very fixable and it’s not going to put me in a position where I couldn’t do the job at Manly. No one needs to worry, I’m just as committed to the job as when I first talked to them about it. I’m as good as gold.”

He is expected to resume in his Sea Eagles role on February 1.

The Daily understands the New Zealander has signed a draft contract for the two-year appointment. Sea Eagles financial controller Wayne Honeywood will be acting CEO during Mr Lowe’s recovery period.

“I’ve spoken to Scott and Max (co-owners Scott Penn and Max Delmege) and I’ll just play it by ear,” Mr Lowe said.

The Sea Eagles announced Mr Lowe as their new CEO at a board meeting last month.

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/news/story/eagles-ceo-lowe-faces-new-surgery/

We have an acting CEO before he even plants his bum in a seat at Narrabeen. Now, he plays it by ear. Look, I feel sorry for the bloke, but whoever decided an almost 65 year old retiree, with brain, heart and abdominal problems should be running a very, VERY competitive business, dead set should not be making decisions for a brand with over 60 years worth of history.

He's appointed. He's instantly given 2 months to recover from heart surgery.

My-O-My. 

Ryan, I have not heard you be critical of Lowe's appointment.  I must say I am shocked :)

But yeah not a good start. 

I must say this is a very concering turn of events in my opinion.  When he was here as coach the team really sufferred due to his health problems.  I hope he is OK for both Manly and also his young family.

But with his history was a thorough medical part of the appointment process?

I remembered that "sweet as a nut" comment too, eggson. But nuts aren't sweet unless they've been sugar coated:)
It is a worry that we've gone from "it's a virus" to bypass surgery in the space of a few days. Let's hope it's not a sign of things to come . . .

He did say he was going to give his heart and soul to the position.  The heart box is ticked, the soul will come when he has to choose sides with the Board.

The Board took their decision on Lowe so we should just live with it. He is at least one unifying force that all parties were happy with. No one knows whether their arteries are blocked like that so it is just bad luck. These days, even after ripping open a rib cage, patients are back very quickly. It is unfortunate and I hope everything works out for him.

Poor bugger having to go through that. He's certainly never been the healthiest bloke on the planet.
On a positive note bypass surgery is usually hassle free and very successful. My Dad's had it and recovered very well. Good luck to Mr Lowe and family.

and to think he was their first choice from their 'global' search.. id hate to see who else applied.

Ryan link said:
Vidmar? Earth to Vidmar? We are waiting for you to re-iterate why your great board hired this retiree, abdominal, heart and brain issue 65+ year old retiree was the best man your board could come up with from your unfounded global search?

And don't you dare say these health issues are a luck of the draw type thing. I personally both warned you, and Bob Reilly, and now the fruit is becoming fully ripe.

I asked that if all my issues came to light you, and your board step down with dignity, and you agreed. I now hold you to that oath, along with your board members.

This is NOT what this competitive industrial business needs. You have doomed us. Feel proud. I'm waiting with baited breath as to your NEW reasons why my concerns were not addressed, and if they were, why they were ignored.

What a joke. 
  Perhaps he was the best pick of a bad bunch?  Which only highlights the absurdity of the knifing given to Mayer.

ERNIE FOR NO7 link said:
Does anyone know what Lowe was reading at the airport. It wasn't last year's Profit and Loss statement was it  ?

Lol.  

Sorry guys - had WAAAAY too many beers last night. That post was out of control...really, really sorry..

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6