Here we go again, Manly & Parra

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man
Here we go again, Manly & Parra

Guys, just your opinion please. My boss is an avid Parra supporter (yeah, I know), and we had this huge debate about the quality of our rosters. Obviously, I believe ours is far superior with Internationals etc littered throughout it.

I ask you, who's roster (on paper) - not taking into consideration coaching, chemistry etc is better? I'll go with a conservative team Des will probably select (mine would be completely different).

01. Brett Stewart....................Jarryd Hayne (Parra)
02. Michael Robertson..............Eric Grothe (Manly)
03. Steve Matai......................Krisnan Inu (Manly)
04. Ben Farrar........................Timana Tahu (Parra)
05. David Williams....................Luke Burt (Manly)
06. Jamie Lyon........................Daniel Mortimer (Manly)
07. Keiran Foran......................Kris Keating (Manly)
08. Jason King.........................Justin Poore (Parra)
09. Matt Ballin.........................Matthew Keating (Manly)
10. Josh Perry.........................Fui Fui Moi Moi (Parramatta)
11. Anthony Watmough............Nathan Hindmarsh (Manly)
12. Chris Bailey.......................Ben Smith (Parramatta)
13. Glenn Stewart...................Feleti Mateo (Manly)

14. Terrence Seu Seu...............Joel Reddy??? (Manly)
15. Brent Kite..........................Nathan Cayless (Manly)
16. George Rose......................Tim Mannah (Manly)
17. Joe Galuvao.......................Shane Shackleton (Parra)

I scored it 11 to Manly. 6 to Parramatta. Would I be far off? I f it were up to me, Bailey would be out of our team, and Rodney would be in his place, and Manly would have another better player.

Additionally, Lyon would be in the centres (thus being better than Tahu), and our 1/2's would be on par with theirs with Foran / Hodkinson...

which again, makes the numbers better for us.

So, are we all over them lads n laddettes?

Re: Here we go again, Manly & Parra

Stewart is better than Hayne.  Hayne is a professional sook with 1 or 2 decent games to his credit.

The Eels do worry me this year.  They have signed some good forwards who may lay a good platform and their outside backs are close to the  biggest in the comp, particularly if Inu comes good.  But I'd rather our roster than theirs.

Throw Robson in somewhere but man on man is nothing like a game. Parra last year played like a team the same as we did the year before.

We had a better team last year but they made the Grand Final... 

I actually hope Bailey gets nominal game time this year. He was very "ordinary" putting it nicely last year. Total waste of a playing roster spot, and total waste of salary cap $$$.

To me, he's up there with the David Vaeliki signing as quality goes.

How a man that plays 5/8 @ times plays the ball that slow....is beyond me. He made zero impact for mine last year - and I had huge expectation on him before he got here.

That being said, I now understand why he played only a handful of games @ Newcastle over 3 years, and couldn't break into their under achieving , poor side.

I know that's harsh, but we have better options - LOTS of them. Options that try hard. Like Galuvao or Rodney if he plays backrow. Or Lyon or Foran if he plays 5/8. Or Farrar or Seu Seu if he plays the utility spot. Or Tony Williams or Galuvao or Lussick if he plays in the 17 jersey as a backup backrower.

blinkers off Ryan and there are too many evens to call.

1. Even
2. Robbo just
3. Even
4. Tahu? (has played rara so who knows but this is on paper)
5. Even
6. Even (lyon hasnt palyed there properly for a while and mortimer took robson to the GF so cant be that shabby again no games played)
7. Robson. He has runs on the board and Foran has never played like a half back in manly colours in the 30+ games ive seen. He is a 5/8 through and through
8. Even
9. Even on last year, Ballin was down and keating is a good player
10. Even - flip a coin with these 2, you never know who will turn up
11. Choc
12. Hindy
13. Even

14. Even - i mean really who the fark knows between that last bench position
15. Even Both players were way down on form, and both have carried their team in previous years
16. Rose just Round 1- 10 Mannah, 10+ Rose. Mannah is a good player but big George once match fit adds a hell of a lot of value
17. Even Another bench spot that is really an unknown.

So I have Manly 3, Parra 3 and even 11.

On paper 5 weeks before round 1

Ryan link said:
I actually hope Bailey gets nominal game time this year. He was very \"ordinary\" putting it nicely last year. Total waste of a playing roster spot, and total waste of salary cap $$$.

To me, he's up there with the David Vaeliki signing as quality goes.

How a man that plays 5/8 @ times plays the ball that slow....is beyond me. He made zero impact for mine last year - and I had huge expectation on him before he got here.

That being said, I now understand why he played only a handful of games @ Newcastle over 3 years, and couldn't break into their under achieving , poor side.

I know that's harsh, but we have better options - LOTS of them. Options that try hard. Like Galuvao or Rodney if he plays backrow. Or Lyon or Foran if he plays 5/8. Or Farrar or Seu Seu if he plays the utility spot. Or Tony Williams or Galuvao or Lussick if he plays in the 17 jersey as a backup backrower.

Diagree bigtime about Bailey, wasnt the best 5/8 we have ever had but besides Lyon you have to go back to Cliffy. He is a geinuine Lock and found the try line from short range numerous times when Orford looked completly lost.

A good off season in defence would see him fitting in perfectly to the starting backrow.

Choc left Gift right and bailey in the centre where a lock actually plays irrelevant of the numbers on their back

I hope he does come good. Let me say that though. I just think he is too much like Willow, without Willow's defensive capabilities, and not as creative as Willow in attack if anything is to go by.

He DID score 5 tries last year. I also think he made 1 line-break or something all year.

Sorry Rhino, I agree with Fluffy. On paper and on 2009 form there is very little between the line-ups. Go back to 2008 and it would be completely different but that is in the past.

Ryan link said:
I hope he does come good. Let me say that though. I just think he is too much like Willow, without Willow's defensive capabilities, and not as creative as Willow in attack if anything is to go by.

He DID score 5 tries last year. I also think he made 1 line-break or something all year.

It's well documented that you don't like Bailey, but I often wonder if you actually watch any games to back up these random stats you like to quote. Bailey definitely had more than 1 line break, I can guarantee you that. He also probably had a handful of try assists and line break assists as well. Whilst he will probably never represent Australia as a 5/8, in my opinion he has a pretty reasonable set of hands and can get a good pass away. He pokes through the line quite often and can put a player away on the back of that. He's not our worst back row option by any stretch.

I don't mind Bailey.  I've said before he reminds me a little of Thompson.  And I would argue that on last years form anyone outside Orford looked ordinary.  The attack was so disjointed as Orford ran it across the sideline.  Lining up any side against another this early is problematic, but I tend to agree with the Fluffster (Tahu aside).     

We won't see Bailey at 5/8 this year (unless to cover for unexpected injury during a game). He will vie for a backrow spot. I think he showed ability in both attack and defence last year, though he did not star. As for rating clubs' rosters, I discovered long ago that is a fruitless task. As I expect Saints fans also have.

C&C - Mate - Bailey was dumped from the 5/8 spot by Des to allow a rookie to get a go. THEN, he was dumped from the number 12 jersey to make way for Rodney (when Rodney was fit) and Bailey then came off the bench.

This is exactly what happened to him at Newcastle. He was given a fair shake, underwhelmed, then got demoted.

For the record, I watch every Manly game at least 3-4 times each (including the losses) to pull them apart and disect them.

I know, I know - it's a sad existence I lead, but I love the stuff !!

N paper 2 teams that are very evenly matched. I have the feeling they will wipe the floor with us this year though

holy S**t ryan im posting this RIGHT after i read the first comparison.

Ok so jarrod hayne threw a good flick pass once and side stepped a few blokes on his way to the try line against some poor defence.

Brett stewart does these things and more 10 times a game.

This said i dunno if i can read the rest of the comparisons thanks to the first one being so bloody horrible.

My opinion would just be to tell the parra guy exactly how it is: The eels are fags. There's no need for debate.

We miss you shane. That is spot on

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7