High price bracket players not performing

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Darren

Bencher
Lyon and choc, probably 800 grand between them, jamie was no where last night, do we need a defensive 400 grand centre??? we are sweating on his attack which is ordinary. Gee, he has lost pace!!cannot out pace anyone at present, maybe injured

I know choc was injured but I can see why he doesn't get picked for origin anymore, he is too prone to errors and this is stopping him progressing into reps.

Our better performers are the banis, robbos, willos, and they are on less dough, maybe more hungry!!

As Kiwi said about Lyon, it was his first poor game in a while and really the whole team was ordinary. 

you forgot our highest paid. If you are going to start pointing fingers try number 7.

Speaking of highly paid players I heard on Friday night that we are struggling to retain Hoppa's son who has been offered big money to switch clubs. 

It will be a tragedy if we lose William Hoppa because of money when we are wasting so much on no 7.

Wait, what?! I didn't hear any commentary on Friday, but we'd be mad to let Hoppa's kid go.

He's going to be a f*cking star. Had a blinder for the NSW under 16s on Wednesday. He's only 15 (turns 16 in May...so he might have already had his birthday, but I'm not sure), but you can see the quality in him.

Hoppa is his bloody manager. Don't dodge us around Hop!

individual first grade salaries would not effect the junior player pay as every NRL club needs to spend to the cap to be competetive

hoppas son is by FAR the best talented kid in the club!!!

but watching sg ball matts etc we don't have many!! but

he is 15!!! our club is doing it tough financially and not spending big bucks on kids

if he is offered 100 plus a sason we may have to let him go, he aint going to play nrl for at least 3 seasons!!!

Maybe bring him back into the fold at 20 etc

You know how much I care for junior grades but he is playing with very ordinary kids in matts and soon sg ball, we are near the bottom and he won't get the chance to play top grade for quite a while, if we are in financial rut, keep first grade strong, we cannot tie up 6 figure contracts with kids!!!

Dogs and parra do it,they have all the schoolboy stars and are they any better than us???

and of course Penrith, big money for their kids, penrith kids coming thru do look good but their 1sts grade team has been bad for a long time,

in the paper, dogs, parra, panthers are in trouble, maybe we let juniors play on a shoestring and pump all cash into top 17 players plus 5/6 toyota cuppers like foran, cherry evans and benchies like jack a etc 

Fro link said:
you forgot our highest paid. If you are going to start pointing fingers try number 7.
Exactly right fro & i got criticised by some kiwi for stating about his ridiculous passes that don't reach the mark & stupid mid air bombs that don't reach the oppositions in goal.

Apologies PSE, thankyou for pointing out all of Orfords faults for me. I guess that if he could find those abilities in his game he would be in front of the Dally Ms by a lot more, and instead of being 1st equal in the NRL for Try Assists, he would be leading Prince by a lot more

Is unbeleivable what can be made out of 1 average game

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Apologies PSE, thankyou for pointing out all of Orfords faults for me. I guess that if he could find those abilities in his game he would be in front of the Dally Ms by a lot more, and instead of being 1st equal in the NRL for Try Assists, he would be leading Prince by a lot more

Is unbeleivable what can be made out of 1 average game
Cool kiwi i was only trying to emphasise it's not only me frustrated with ox maybe we're expecting to much from him considering he doesn't really have a halves partner at the moment to share his load.

I don't think he had a great game by any means, but too often it all comes back to 1 player, normally him.

Our main problem for me last friday was that our forwards were unwilling to roll up the sleeves and go up the guts. The few times we did that we were good enough to put on points

Its not one average game, it is consistently the same garbage being served up when under pressure.

He is a run of the mill bog standard 1st grade halfback, nothing more nothing less, and simply not worth the money being paid.

The reason he is in front is that he handles the ball the most in a team that is (was) running near the top of the table, he has been injury free this season so he is always goign to poll well.

Halves always go well in those awards, some others have missed games with injuries, suspensions and one thing Orford is not going to have to worry about, rep selections.

Kiwi Eagle link said:
I don't think he had a great game by any means, but too often it all comes back to 1 player, normally him.

Our main problem for me last friday was that our forwards were unwilling to roll up the sleeves and go up the guts. The few times we did that we were good enough to put on points

Get your point Kiwi but it is also the halfbacks job to organise the team, he should have been ripping into the forwards to do just that.

Fro link said:
He is a run of the mill bog standard 1st grade halfback, nothing more nothing less, and simply not worth the money being paid.

Not quite true. Run of the half-a-mill really.

Orford wasn't to blame on Friday.

This time last week he was leading the Dally Ms and everyone was saying he was the best player in our team and plenty of other bullsh*t. He wasn't. He's performed well this year, and has been in quite good form over the past month in particular, but he wasn't going as well as many people were suggesting - but on the flipside he isn't going anywhere near as badly as people are suggesting based on his performance on Friday.

That is the life of a halfback though. All of your performances (good and bad) are exaggerated unfortunately.

Fro link said:
Its not one average game, it is consistently the same garbage being served up when under pressure.

The reason he is in front is that he handles the ball the most in a team that is (was) running near the top of the table, he has been injury free this season so he is always goign to poll well.

Halves always go well in those awards, some others have missed games with injuries, suspensions and one thing Orford is not going to have to worry about, rep selections.

Consistently ?

I would have thought there was a bit of pressure in the Prelim final v the Cowboys last year, and he nailed that game. Don't come back with the GF line, coz 97% of the team were **** that day

We were under pressure after surrendering that lead at Parra about a month ago, he got us home. We were down 12-0 in Brisbane a few weeks back, he got us home

Interesting line you used there, He handles the ball the most in a team that is running near the top of the table.

Now, seeing as he is the main handler, it would be fair to assume then that our position near the top of the table, he has been a pretty big part of that situation coming about

Last year, go through the archives, i was 1 of Orford's harshest critics. However, the criticism some are heaping onto him after this loss is just bull****.

Garts, that is a fair point as well. surely Toovey would be barking those instructions at them as well from the back. No wonder Des was ropable

Yes Kiwi it is consistent, you have come up with 2 examples out of however many games he has played.

Any first grade halfback should be able to win a couple of games in that time.

And I was at the cowboys game last year and he was no star, although it was my bucks party so it may be a bit hazy :)

Just to reiterate I am not sayng he is not a first grade half back, i am not saying he is not the best option we have. I AM saying he isnt worth the cash we are paying for him.

I think the money for Orford is fine, if we weren't paying him what he's on someone else would be and we'd be stuck with someone worse. Halfback is too important to go looking for value, pay what you have to pay to get the best option, which is what they did.

No bob we would be stuck with someone ELSE, not necessarily WORSE.

Yes halfback is too important. Too important to waste the coin we have on someone who is not getting the job done as well as that money demands.

Ask any CEO of a company how long he would last if he only achieved at around 40% of expectations.

If Orford wasn't here we could have signed Mitchell pearce before he went to the rooters.  He didn't come here because he didn't want to wait three years behind Orford to play FG.

Similarly we could have bought Wallace last year if we didn't have orford. 

Both of these half backs would have cost us about a third of what we are paying orford and would have been better long term value for the club especially Pearce.

In hindsight we might have been better to have kept Monnas and not signed orford and then signed one of the other half backs instead.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4