Hiku Couldn't Believe He Was Shown The Door

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Penrith Panthers recruit Peta Hiku 'couldn't believe' he was shown the door by Manly Sea Eagles
  • Date December 15, 2015 - 5:14PM

Peta Hiku reported for his first day as a Panther still stinging after being shown the door by Manly.

Hiku was left shocked when he was told he could leave the Sea Eagles, despite being contracted for a further two years, after Manly signed South Sydney discard Dylan Walker.

While Hiku was featuring for the Kiwis in their Test series against England, his future was being determined behind the scenes by new Manly coach Trent Barrett.

1450160096084.jpg

New Panther: Peta Hiku, Penrith Panthers. Photo: Jeff Lambert (Penrith Panthers)

A phone call from Hiku's manager, Stan Martin, while Hiku was in transit in Los Angeles on his way back to Sydney following the Kiwi tour, left Hiku surprised when he was told that he could leave Manly after playing 61 games and scoring 28 tries since making his debut in 2013.

"I couldn't believe it," Hiku said. "I waited to get back to Sydney and see where it went from there.

"At first I was disappointed. I wasn't expecting it. It wasn't something I wanted to happen but everything happened for a reason. Being [at Penrith] is something I'm looking forward to."

Hiku met with Barrett before throwing himself on the open market. The 23-year-old said a desire to play fullback or centre was being blocked at the Sea Eagles by veterans Brett Stewart, Jamie Lyon and Steve Matai, while rookie Tom Trbojevic has been earmarked as Stewart's long-term replacement in the No.1 jersey.

"I gave [Barrett] a call and had a meeting," Hiku said. "It was pretty good. I couldn't be a centre or fullback. I had to wait a couple more years.

"[Barrett] guided me along about the decisions that would be best for me. I respect him a lot."

Hiku was introduced to his Penrith teammates for the first time on Tuesday after undergoing a medical and given a Christmas training program. He will resume full training with the rest of the squad in the new year having been given an extended break because of his representative commitments.

Late interest from the Panthers saw Hiku reject offers from St George Illawarra and Parramatta to sign a three-year deal at Penrith.

"It was actually pretty exciting seeing where I would end up," Hiku said. "They had a spot for an outside back after losing Jamal Idris. I thought I would take the opportunity."

Hiku has played with Dean Whare for the Kiwis and Elijah Taylor in the lower grades at the Warriors, while he played his junior football alongside fellow new recruit Sitaleki Akauola in New Zealand at Manurewa Marlins.

Hiku will move from the northern beaches to Penrith in the new year with partner Lisa Watson, who is expecting the couple's first child in June.

"It was pretty welcoming today," Hiku said. "I saw all the boys and the coaching staff. I've come in before, but I only met Anthony Griffin and Phil Gould. Today I came and saw everyone."

Hiku joins Trent Merrin as a key Panthers recruit.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...sea-eagles-20151215-glnypn.html#ixzz3uO76xVWN http://ec.tynt.com/b/rf?id=aBfWCmwwCr37XTadbiUzgI&u=sydneymorningherald

I was shocked too Peta.

Would have liked to have kept Hiku, so hope he makes a red hot go of it at Penrith. And maybe if we haven't burnt the bridge he might come back and bring Whare with him in a couple of years.

Feel for him. Given a chance to play his preferred position he may well have excelled... But was left as a utility and not really shown his best. Sad to see him go and hope he comes back..

So Barrett guided Peta along about the decisions that would be best for him. And then he ends up at Barrett's former club Penrith. I wonder if TB gave his old mate Gus a call and gave him the inside tip that Hiku would be a handy pick up for the Panthers?

Either way, I'm still not 100% convinced we should have let him go.

I am a big fan of Peta (he seems like a stand up person) and I really hope he kills it at Penrith, but you can't have your cake and eat it too. We wanted Dylan Walker and that was only going to happen if we could offload a footballer on good money that was going to attract interest from other clubs; Peta was that player.

I don't think it's a case of Manly not wanting Hiku, more a case of Manly wanting Dylan Walker a little bit more. Further, it's in Peta's best interests that the club are upfront and honest with him regarding a pathway to his preferred position and I think the club has done that.

With Snake at FB and Killer and Skivy having a lock on the centres, all until they retire, it would seem that Walker will play 5/8 and now that Peta is gone I'm guessing that Tommy will take the vacant wing spot, or at least get first crack at it.

His Christmas training program is probably don't eat non stop for that entire period.

Anyway, we seem to do pretty well with back up #1's. Robbo was probably the worst one in recent memory because he wasn't explosive but he was still an outstanding winger. I think everyone wins here. He gets his desired position. We open the path for Tom T.

You think Hiku was surprised??

Brad 'dalai' arthur simply can not fathom why Hiku did not want to go to parramatta to play under the worlds best coach and greatest mate in the whole world!!!!

Arthur's Camelot is crumbling!!!!!

Edit: I wish Peta all the best. I still think he's the type of guy clubs like having around. Play well!

Last edited:
Anyway, we seem to do pretty well with back up #1's. Robbo was probably the worst one in recent memory because he wasn't explosive but he was still an outstanding winger. I think everyone wins here. He gets his desired position. We open the path for Tom T.

I'll see your Robbo and raise you a Ben Farrar.......

Robbo wasn't Snake (who apart from Snake is?), but he was better than Farrar. Really, Des only played Farrar in the #1 to allow Robbo to go back to the wing.

I'll see your Robbo and raise you a Ben Farrar.......

Robbo wasn't Snake (who apart from Snake is?), but he was better than Farrar. Really, Des only played Farrar in the #1 to allow Robbo to go back to the wing.
Haha true I forgot about him.

I always thought Bani had potential there but when we swapped him for Wolfie I realised that wingers are pretty replaceable. That held true until Williame got first grade game time.

You think Hiku was surprised??

Brad 'dalai' arthur simply can not fathom why Hiku did not want to go to parramatta to play under the worlds best coach and greatest mate in the whole world!!!!

Arthur's Camelot is crumbling!!!!!

Edit: I wish Peta all the best. I still think he's the type of guy clubs like having around. Play well!
Eels fans are in absolute shock that he don't want to come and play for BA. They thought he was all but signed. I don't think they realise that watmough and Foran whilst they obviously love BA are on absolutely stupid coin. Far above what any other club would pay.

BA also has the worst Nrl coaching stats of any of the current first grade coaches.

I feel Stewart is safe .He seems well & truly out of the firing line , nestled somewhere between Zorba's fat ass cheeks.
Yes, quite a malodorous odour eminating from that direction.

Snake and his brother Gimpp, err...sorry Glenn, are under ZtH/Ouzo Slug's wing (or arse cheeks), receiving instruction from the master in how to pull the strings from the shadows, without holding a key position within the organisation - like chairman, CEO or head coach.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7