Hiku named at 5/8

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
New Zealand team to face Leeds Rhinos on 8pm Friday (8am Saturday NZ time 10/11am AEDST):
1. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
2. Jason Nightigale
3. Jordan Kahu
4. Dean Whare
5. Shaun Kenny-Dowall
6. Peta Hiku
7. Tuimoala Lolohea
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Isaac Luke
10. Ben Matulino
11. Kevin Proctor
12. Tohu Harris
13. Martin Taupau
14. Kodi Nikorima
15. Adam Blair
16. Sam Moa
17. Sio Siua Taukeiaho
18. Alex Glenn
19. Gerard Beale
20. Lewis Brown

The England tour itinerary is:
Friday, October 23 v Leeds Rhinos @ Leeds
Sunday, November 1 v England @Hull
Saturday, November 7 v England @ London
Saturday, November 14 v England @ Wigan

Gee Benji is well and truly on the outer over the dutch. If he can't get a gig in that 17 he's never going to play for the Kiwis again

Hiku came to us as a 5/8. That's his true position.
Manly saw him as a centre.

The wing and fullback stuff was only ever hole plugging and problem solving.
Some people have short memories.

We signed him after he was named warriors u/20's player of the year playing at fullback. He was second for run meters in that competition behind Ligi Sao.

With no Johnson, Foran or Marshall the Kiwi's are very light on for quality halves right now. TBH I am not at all surprised that Kearney has given Hiku first chance at claiming the 5/8 spot given how well he's played in the centres for both us and NZ.

I'm sure Trent Barrett will be watching Peta Hiku play 5/8 with interest. I personally am not yet sold on Hiku being a 5/8, but if he goes well there for NZ it could mean he is the one moved there next year for us which will free up the right wing and allow Tommy to be in first grade where he belongs.

This can't be right. I have suggested this many times and have been blasted for it. Hmmmm

I don't think many of us are fans of Hiku playing 5/8. Hell, most seem to be against him playing in the centres and none of us seem to want him on the wing. But considering that our other 5/8 options are Koroisau and Pracell who are hookers, Killer who doesn't want to move to pivot, and Mateo who is a back rower, or even Moltzen.....Hiku might actually turn out to be a good option.

I don't think many of us are fans of Hiku playing 5/8. Hell, most seem to be against him playing in the centres and none of us seem to want him on the wing. But considering that our other 5/8 options are Koroisau and Pracell who are hookers, Killer who doesn't want to move to pivot, and Mateo who is a back rower, or even Moltzen.....Hiku might actually turn out to be a good option.
I don't think Hiku ever played 5/8 before as you quite rightly said so V8 Hiku excelled in the backline as a fullback before we signed him

I can imagine him being a good running 5/8 but as far as a kicking and passing games goes?! I imagine he will be more Josh Hoffman than Laurie Daley unfortunately, but happy for him to prove me wrong.

Peta has played a few games at 5/8 including in the finals series of the U20s. Was really only there as a gap filler for injury which I guess is the same case now. He played on the wing and possibly centre, but the majority of his games were at fullback in the U20s.

From what I remember he went ok, but nothing spectacular at 5/8 all be it NYC level and only a small sample size. Even I was a bit surprised the Kiwis are playing him there though it is a game to experiment.

Peta has probably played some of his best football with the Kiwis. I think one of the key factors being he has only played at Fullback and Centre and not on the Wing. This is definitely a good opportunity for him playing at 5/8 and could possibly have flow on affects depending how he does. Kearney must have some confidence in him playing there so I guess we will find out if it is warranted. Either way I hope the neph does well.

I can imagine him being a good running 5/8 but as far as a kicking and passing games goes?! I imagine he will be more Josh Hoffman than Laurie Daley unfortunately, but happy for him to prove me wrong.
that might be exactly what we need with Barrett stating that DCE will run the show on both sides now that Foz is gone. At least someone mentioned him saying that before on the forum.

Funny thing is, Hiku is an amazing player, and would fulfill any position in the backlline very well apart from wing / 1/2 back in my opinion. We just play him on the damned wing hahahaha. He's deceptively quick off the mark, and has good hands.

Hope Barrett plays him centre. If so, I think we'll all be very happy.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7