Hodkinson, Hasler renew NRL acquaintance

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Evo

Capt Goodvibe
Hodkinson, Hasler renew NRL acquaintance

David Beniuk AAP Mon, Nov 14, 2011 - 5:56 PM

Trent Hodkinson is the player who stands to gain the most from Des Hasler taking the reins early at Canterbury.

The Bulldogs halfback was considered a shattering loss when he left Manly to replace Brett Kimmorley at Canterbury last season.

At the Sea Eagles under Hasler, the 23-year-old found himself in a City Origin jersey just seven games after making his first grade debut.

He admitted to a massive dip in confidence this year as the Bulldogs missed the finals, but Hasler is confident of bringing out his best again.

"I thought Trent played some really good football," Hasler said.

"He's a great young prospect, there are some great prospects here.

"One of the most pleasing aspects with rugby league is working with players and it's working with people and it's getting people to realise their potential and bringing that potential about."

Potential is not in short supply at Canterbury, whose previous coach Kevin Moore spent up big for 2011.

Hodkinson, five-eighth Kris Keating and forwards Frank Pritchard and Greg Eastwood were expected to add plenty of firepower after the Dogs missed the 2010 finals.

It didn't eventuate and Hasler will also need to deal with the losses of international centre Jamal Idris, captain Andrew Ryan and experienced half Ben Roberts.

The Bulldogs' major signing is England prop James Graham, currently involved in the Four Nations campaign, while journeyman Luke MacDougall has also joined their ranks.

Several Sea Eagles stars became free agents with Hasler's departure with most conjecture around whether gun Kiwis half Kieran Foran could renew his partnership with Hodkinson.

Hasler and Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg ruled out any swoop on Manly for 2012 but were coy about the following year.

"We're very happy with our roster and very comfortable with our plans that are set for 2012," Greenberg said.

"Once we get Des's feet under the desk, he'll assess the salary cap going forward but we're miles away from making any of those decisions (for 2013)."

Still up in the air is the make-up of Hasler's support staff, although he said current Bulldogs assistants Jim Dymock, Andy Patmore and Brett Kimmorley would all stay with the club in 2012.

Sea Eagles assistant Kelly Egan is reportedly also on his way to Belmore.

Hasler was at pains to praise disappointed interim coach Dymock for his "understanding", and said the new regime would be a collaborative effort.

"People have different opinions and different views and different ways of looking at things," Hasler said.

"You put that all in there and you'll come up with a direction and that's what we'll do and that's the direction we'll take."

The club, the team & fans won the Premierships mate, you didnt do it on your own.... say goodbye, we'll enjoy them & good luck

I wonder how Hasler has patched over his numerous quotes this year suggesting he wasn't worried when hodgkinson left as he had a better one in Queensland Cup?

The Bulldogs halfback was considered a shattering loss when he left Manly to replace Brett Kimmorley at Canterbury last season.......oh yeah, I'm still shattered.

Matabele said:
I wonder how Hasler has patched over his numerous quotes this year suggesting he wasn't worried when hodgkinson left as he had a better one in Queensland Cup?

With more lies one would assume. That's his style.

He left for less money..... Lie.
He was annoyed at Zorbas sacking....... Lie.
He will be at Manly in 2012....... Lie
He has no plans to take Manly players with him...... Lie
He had nothing to do with Cleal and Egan going to the dogs...... Lie.
He will take legal action against Manly....... Lie.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4