Hodkinson

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DSM5

First Grader
What happened to this half.  I thought he would have a shot at the halfback position in 2010 but seems to have disappeared off the radar.  Did he die while I was absent?

Dude, he has been promoted to the 1st squad, been in the media everywhere suggesting this is his chance. Articles have been bought out by A Johns etc. He's currently in training WITH A Johns, and I hear Cliffy Lyons may be mentorring Keiran Foran !!!

No he is still alive and word is that it will be either him or Foran in the 7 jumper.  

Matt Orford is mentoring him until he leaves for Bradford.
He has already learned how to make a line drop out go 25 metres on the fly.

is scared ****less of making first grade and being hammered day in day out by you dms5.
he knows how u love to bag manly halfbacks :p

manlyborn link said:
Matt Orford is mentoring him until he leaves for Bradford.
He has already learned how to make a line drop out go 25 metres on the fly.

Dont tell DSM Ox hasnt left yet.

Saw Hodkinson line drop out 55-60 metres on the fly up here this year. Looks to have a decent boot on him.

Word is that he is not happy because he has been told that foran will start at half and he will be back playing sunshine coast. 

Johns has indicated that Foran will be better at half as hodkinson is a slower half back who guides the team around the park.

I just don't see the point in playing a 5/8 out of place at halfback so you can play a centre out of place at 5/8 while one of the halfbacks wont even get game-time.

Unless DCE is still able to play Toyota cup?

Fro link said:
I thought Cherry Evans was Gorneskis?
There was talk he was going to the Doggies and I believe (although not 100% positive) it is a done deal.

I agree with Duff. The consensus of most of us geniuses on here is Hodkinson to 7 and Foran to 6. Des needs to listen to the footie brains-trust that is ST :)

Cambo, I haven't made a career out of bagging Manly halfbacks, only Ox, and it's all been well deserved.  I agree with Duff too.  Playing people out of position to strengthen another didn't work last year and it won't work in 2010.  Hodkinson as half, Foran as 5/8th and Lyon at centre.  All looking good.   

ManlyBacker link said:
[quote author=Fro link=topic=182135.msg247137#msg247137 date=1260241849]
I thought Cherry Evans was Gorneskis?
There was talk he was going to the Doggies and I believe (although not 100% positive) it is a done deal.

I agree with Duff. The consensus of most of us geniuses on here is Hodkinson to 7 and Foran to 6. Des needs to listen to the footie brains-trust that is ST :)
[/quote]

An article a couple of weeks back had Cherry with a spot in our top 25

I am not convinced with throwing 2 inexperienced halves into mix.  However I would like to to see it tried for a few games at least. However I guess if Des thinks Hodgkinson is not up for it we should leave him in Qld.  Remember the uproar with Groom.

I am happy to go with Des's judgment. Hoddo may become a top-class half back, which would be great if it occurs while he's at Manly. Or he might become a fairly good NRL half-back that gets a lot of games over time with a number of clubs? We need - especially in that position - someone who will be outstanding. If Des & his staff think foran is the guy, I'll happily watch it unfold.

If Hoddo is unhappy with selections he can go back to Parra where he might one day feature in a grand final only to lose to Manly!

I'd like to see Hoddo 7 and Foran 6 from the beginning.  And if it takes time to click then good thing we started early.  What i hope to not see is a lot of chopping and changing.  The forwards will realise they have a huge job to do in protecting these rookies and we'll be back to 2008 - going forward!

No doubt they'll play at least some part of the trial matches together, whether that's enough to convince fans and coaching staff ...?

Long pre-season still to be played out before the trials, there is no way Des would have shown his hand at this early stage and seriously demotivated a player who may be the next No7.

I agree with most of you, I'd give Hodko first crack at seven, Foran at six and give them time to form a combination. They've got youth on their side - so give them a chance.

The style we've played in the past few seasons has involved having several "second receivers" anyway, no traditional five-eighth. If we have Hodko as the organising half, then use Foran, Lyon, Brett and Gifty as second receivers then we still have plenty of variety in attack.

But as eggson points out the most important thing is to tell the forwards to look after the young fellas.

ERNIE FOR NO7 link said:
The reason why is on the back foot at the moment with the coaching staff -  may not be related to ON field performances.

I think you are spot on Ernie, however the latest i have heard is he has started pre season with a positive attidue and is training the house down.

I think it helps knowing that you have a shot at a position.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4