Hopoate humbled as he hits the canvas again

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

OneEyedEagle

Bencher
For anyone that’s interested in Hoppa's boxing career unfortunately he has had another loss. I wonder where to from here for him now.

I would have loved to see Hoppa Snr succeed in the ring however a couple of losses already and I am starting to wonder if he really does have a career in the sport.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/hopoate-humbled-as-veteran-sends-him-crashing/2009/10/04/1254590910562.html

Adrian Warren
October 5, 2009

AUSTRALIAN heavyweight champion John Hopoate's career is at the crossroads after his shock knockout loss to veteran southpaw Colin Wilson in Hamilton.

In an eventful slugfest, Wilson climbed off the canvas in the third round and floored Hopoate late in that stanza. Wilson crashed to the canvas early in the fourth, though the referee ruled it a slip, before the 37-year-old New Zealand-born fighter regained his footing and ended the fight in spectacular fashion on Saturday night. He stunned his 34-year-old opponent with a shot to the body and then delivered the knockout blow with a decisive left-hand punch to the head.

Hopoate lost via a second-round knockout to 44-year-old Oliver McCall in Las Vegas in May.

While Wilson could technically have been disqualified as his celebrating corner men charged into the ring before the count was finished, there was no denying him a deserved moment of glory.

The bout, on the Shane Cameron-David Tua undercard, provided plenty of fireworks. In an eventful first round, former rugby league winger Hopoate hurled his opponent to the canvas. Wilson quickly retaliated with a low blow, which prompted the referee to give Hopoate time to recover. The second round was a close affair with Wilson possibly nicking it with a flurry of punches in the end. Hopoate's punching power was underlined early in the third when he tagged Wilson with a big shot. Wilson was up by the count of four and turned the fight around in the final 40 seconds of the round. He caught Hopoate with a huge shot and the Australian champion barely survived the remainder of the round.

''I came here saying I was going to knock Hoppa out, and knock him out I did,'' Wilson said afterwards. ''The thing is not to give in. I knew Hoppa was an incredible puncher, but I seemed to find something somewhere and come back.''

AAP

He should give it up, lsing to chumps like that cant be good for your health or self estem.

Get a real job Hoppa

Imagine Hoppa as a Bank Teller !! This could make a great thread actually - list things Hopoate would or could be suited to:-

Good thinking Ryan

What about Hoppa as a flight attendant?

Coffee, Tea, or me anyone

But better still would you dare eat a sticky date pudding served up by the big fella???

Shame he lost, but did anyone see Solo fight a couple of weeks ago?

It was an absolute cracker. I'd like to see Hoppa and Solo fight. From what I saw from Solo, Hoppa would get flogged.

I would really, really like Hoppa to get out of the boxing game

I went down to the club to watch both fights, and the bloke he was fighting wasn't much chop as it was, both of them hit the deck a couple of times, and both always looked 1 punch away from being out cold. They were both slow and lumbering, and what they threw were just throw and hope

The next fight on the card was Tua and Cameron, and although it didn't last long, you could see the difference in speed and purpose in a big way from both fighters, and Cameron got destroyed by Tua.

I would hate to see Hoppa fighting somebody like Tua. Cameron had a record of 23-1 going into the fight, and he looked second rate and like he was going to be seriously hurt. I would hate to think what would happen to Hoppa and his very limited defence if Tua got near him and put the 14 straight head shots he put on Cameron onto Hoppa

I said it after his win over Mirovic and I'll say it again: Hoppa just isn't a fighter. As my dad would say, he isn't a fighter's arsehole. He's got no defence and only one punch. If he keeps it up he's going to get seriously hurt. Whoever got him into the fight game needs to get him out real quick.
Haumono, on the other hand, can fight. In fact, I don't think he's had a loss in his career.
Good fighters don't struggle to beat washed-up bums, and they sure as hell don't get knocked out by them.

Heres a funny story.

Solomon Haumono flattened, felled by more punches as he lay on the canvas

By Christian Nicolussi
    May 19, 2009

Solomon Haumono was knocked out cold in the first 15 seconds of his weekend heavyweight boxing bout at Blacktown RSL - and was then declared the winner as his opponent fled the building.

“"I'm embarrassed about what happened. I hold no grudge against the bro, but people came to see a fight."” – Rotce Sio The church-going former kick-boxer was remorseful after his professional boxing debut, saying that "adrenalin" had go the better of him.

The undefeated Haumono was flattened on Saturday night by Royce Sio, a church-going former kick-boxer making his professional boxing debut.

In bizarre scenes rarely seen in the fight game, Sio, 29, then charged towards his opponent and unleashed two more heavy blows to the head as Haumono lay on the canvas.

With referee Brian McMahon left with no option but to disqualify the rookie, Sio jumped out of the ring and disappeared into the night. Sio had originally sent Haumono flying with a fierce overhead right.

A remorseful Sio, a correctional officer at a juvenile detention centre, said on Monday night that "adrenalin" had got the better of him, and he had meant no harm to Haumono.

Sio said that matchmaker Lincoln Hudson had rushed him out of the venue fearing a potential backlash from Samoan and Tongan supporters in the 800-strong crowd,

"It's a full-contact sport, it's not marbles, and in the end adrenalin got the better of me," Sio said.

"I'm embarrassed about what happened. I hold no grudge against the bro, but people came to see a fight.

"People in the crowd said it was a coward act, but you have to be in the ring to know how it feels.

"The other thing was the referee wasn't in front of me to send me to my corner, so as far as I was concerned the fight was still on."

After being hammered, Haumono, 33, staggered back to his feet to have his arm raised by the referee as the winner, taking his record to 16 wins and a draw from 17 fights.

The former rugby league forward - who quit football to join his mate Anthony Mundine in the fight game - said that he was disappointed he had been denied the chance to stand up and continue.

"We came together and as I've pulled back I've dropped my hands and I copped one to the head," Haumono said.

"I'm not dirty with that shot, but I didn't get the opportunity to stand up and fight on - and that's what I can't work out, that's what I'm filthy about."

Haumono's respected trainer, Johnny Lewis, who has been in the fight game for more than 50 years, said he had never seen such sensational scenes.

"I was bending over to get my medical kit and when I've looked up Sol was on his back," Lewis said.

"He looked like he was going to get up and then the young kid has come over and hit him twice while he was on the ground.

"I can't really understand why it happened. He ended up jumping out of the ring."

Sio said that he hoped Haumono would consider giving him a rematch.

I read about that at the time. Absolute classic.
Sol's fastest ever victory, a knockout - but he was the one who was knocked out. Gotta love boxing.
As for Hoppa ... can he play golf?

If only someone could place the man Mundine on the canvas and retire his lame arse for good.

He certainly is a skilful fighter and has lightening hand speed but his mouth is even quicker and offensive to the point it irritates me and most of AUS.

Why doesn't Mundine fight someone of equal skills such as Kelly Pavlik (WBO / WBC Middleweight World Champion) or Super Middleweight Champions Karl Froch (WBC) or Mikkel Kessler (WBA)

somehow I don't think we would ever see those bouts eventuate.

LOL. That first shot was a nice clean one, but WTF was he thinking piling in with the other 2 haymakers when Solo was on the deck.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6