Hopoate's Eels move dismays Hasler

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
A DISAPPOINTED Des Hasler understands Will Hopoate's decision to switch to Parramatta upon the completion of his two-year Mormon mission, saying the Sea Eagles did everything in their power to convince the teenage star to resume his career in maroon and white.
The 19-year-old has agreed to join the Eels in 2014 on a deal that, it has been claimed, may be worth an extraordinary $1.7 million over two years.
His father, John Hopoate, said yesterday: ''I'm very excited he's going to do this [mission], hopefully when he gets back he can continue what he's started. He'll be fine.''

Hopoate jnr is yet to set off on his church mission to Queensland. He will initially undergo missionary training in Auckland but before that will attend the premiers' civic reception tomorrow and presentation dinner on Friday.
He will also address a public meeting at his local chapel at Harbord on Sunday, explaining his decision to quit the game for two years.
Hasler said Hopoate told him and his teammates on Monday he had agreed to sign with Parramatta.
The Herald has been told his salary there may be as much as $850,000 a season, a huge figure that takes into account the substantial rise in the salary cap expected when the NRL secures its new television deal.
Parramatta officials, however, refused to confirm Hopoate's signing or comment on the money offered him. Eels sources have denied reports Hopoate's father could be offered a coaching position.
Hasler, whose own future has been the subject of speculation, said he respected Hopoate's decision not to return to Manly.
''While we are very disappointed to lose someone like Hoppa we understand it would have been a very difficult decision for Will,'' he said.
''I'm sure they've done what's best for Will and more importantly Will's family, which has always been central to his beliefs. Will is a person of great conviction; we can see that with the way he's handled all this. He's also a person of great sincerity.
''While we are disappointed we wish him every success on his two-year sabbatical and we wish him every success at Parramatta when he starts there.''
The Eels are yet to formally announce Hopoate's signing. The winger has, however, made it clear to his Manly teammates and Hasler that his future lies at the Eels.
Hasler said he was comfortable the Sea Eagles had done everything they could to convince Hopoate to return to the club after his break from the NRL.
''You've got to remember he's only just turned 19. It is what it is,'' the two-time grand final-winning coach said. ''We tried really hard and the way the negotiations took place all the way through with Will and his management, it was done pretty professionally to keep the disruption to a minimum.''
Parramatta were one of a raft of clubs pursuing Hopoate this season before his mission announcement in May. He has since become an even more valuable commodity, making his State of Origin debut and starring in Manly's premiership win on Sunday.
Far from keeping Hopoate behind closed doors the Church of Latter-day Saints is capitalising on the publicity opportunities presented by his two years' service to their cause. He will speak at a public meeting at his local chapel on Sunday, according to the church.
''He will be talking about his decision to serve a mission and outlining the things he will be doing while he is away from rugby league,'' a church spokesman said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/hopoates-eels-move-dismays-hasler-20111004-1l7bj.html#ixzz1ZqLFi3xv

'Dismay'? I didn't read that feeling (verb) from Des in that whole interview. Disappointed, yes; but not dismayed.

It all comes down to money Berks, so you can't discredit him for that. Heck, it'll go a long way to recovering the earnings lost from his mormon mission.

That being said, he is now an Eel, so I don't give a **** what he does, or how he goes. In fact, I hope he fails on the field, and is a complete bust for them, and The Eels continue to bottom feed.

Also, now that he has turned his back on his area, I hope we don't have to see any more threads wasted on him. I don't like reading about slime players.

William who?

Decision was made early, so we can at least focus long term on our wingers now. I'd rather focus our cash on our full back, half back and five eight....

Berkeley_Eagle said:
I thought mormons were supposed to be loyal and not greedy people

He has been found out, hasn't he; especially after deferring his decision to do 'the work of his chosen God'.

Most religions begin with sacrifice and hardwork, with a lot of persecution to get you the day; then, as membership grows with the children's children becoming more educated and adapt to the world around them, the greater need for those members to earn lots of cash and become reputed members in society to keep the movement going is insatiable.

In the heart of most religious people is a 'sin' rarely challenged and only exposed if one is not giving to the Church, and that is greed. Easy to ridicule homosexuality, easy to take the high ground on morality, but challenging greed is detrimental to the Churches welfare and longevity; the very thing Jesus had a big problem with and confronted more than the other 'sins'. Lip service to the 'evils' of greed is always tossed around yet rarely taken seriously.
(Please note: I am an atheist, but well versed in religion and Church movements)

Another beat up headline that doesnt reflect in any way what the guy actually said in the interview. The media is just so full of **** it really is incredible. Do any sports writers have any integrity at all ?

captainskin said:
Berkeley_Eagle said:
I thought mormons were supposed to be loyal and not greedy people

He has been found out, hasn't he; especially after deferring his decision to do 'the work of his chosen God'.

Most religions begin with sacrifice and hardwork, with a lot of persecution to get you the day; then, as membership grows with the children's children becoming more educated and adapt to the world around them, the greater need for those members to earn lots of cash and become reputed members in society to keep the movement going is insatiable.

In the heart of most religious people is a 'sin' rarely challenged and only exposed if one is not giving to the Church, and that is greed. Easy to ridicule homosexuality, easy to take the high ground on morality, but challenging greed is detrimental to the Churches welfare and longevity; the very thing Jesus had a big problem with and confronted more than the other 'sins'. Lip service to the 'evils' of greed is always tossed around yet rarely taken seriously.
(Please note: I am an atheist, but well versed in religion and Church movements)
The accrual of wealth and power has always been the main aim of the major religions. I wonder how much of his money will end up in his churches coffers.

Not just the major ones. My wife's sister and husband are members of one of these Pentecostal happy-clappy outfits. They give away a fair swag of their income to their cult.

let it go he has gone score 1-1 parra dont forget we snatched killer from them so one all who cares we have plenty of talent out there to replace him also leaves plenty of money free to keep des

captainskin said:
'Dismay'? I didn't read that feeling (verb) from Des in that whole interview. Disappointed, yes; but not dismayed.

Exactly how I read the article myself. Bull**** headline.

Hoppa's moved on, we will as well.

$850k a year?? They'll have Hoppa, Hayne, Sandow and 20 other park footballers on their list:p

Thanks for 2011 Will. Here's hoping that you and Parra fall flat on your arse from here on in.

Two years devoted to god then two to Parramatta. It's one myth after another. I wonder if 2016 and 2017 he will devote to unicorns.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6