Hoppa rep. honours

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Captain Moondog

Absolute Superstar
In the battle between age and skill, what is more important? If you’re good enough, should your age matter? Manly Sea Eagles’ young gun William Hopoate is the latest player to have his readiness for representative rugby league questioned because he is only 18 years-old.

The utility back, who has managed to give his surname a fresh slate, has been mentioned as a possible State of Origin bolter for New South Wales after an amazing start to the 2011 season.

The only thing counting against him, it seems, is the fact that on his birth certificate it says he was born in 1992.

Some would like to see the Manly Cove junior play another season before being given the chance in sky-blue. Others, hungry for success, believe his form warrants a call-up.

So what matters more?

Hopoate plays against men week-in-and-week-out. Some of those men will be running out for Queensland shortly.

Is it beyond a player of Hopoate’s experience to confront a team full of skillful players all at once as opposed to maybe 2 or 3 at a time?

History shows this argument is flawed.

Israel Folau was the youngest ever player to pull on a green and gold jumper when he made his debut for Australia aged 18 years and 194 days against New Zealand in 2007. That was after his first season in the NRL.

He went on to play for Queensland the following year. He wasn’t old enough, but he was certainly good enough.

English Premier League club Liverpool are seeing the fruit of giving youth a chance to shine.

18 year-old right back John Flanagan has fitted in to the first team with ease since making his debut while 17-year-old Jack Robinson has done the same at left back.

Indian cricket great Sachin Tendulkar was just 16-years-old when he made his test debut. He proceeded to score 16-test hundreds before he turned 25.

In 2001, Lleyton Hewitt was the best tennis player in the world at the tender age of 20 while Maria Sharapova won Wimbledon at 17 and claimed two more Grand Slams before she was 21.

Ian Thorpe was 14 when he represented Australia at the World Swimming Championships in Perth in 1998. He won the 400m freestyle and his career turned out to be pretty good from that point on.

These are just a few people that prove age is irrelevant.

OK, Thorpe, Hewitt, Sharapova, Flanagan and Robinson will never throw themselves into burly front-rowers, but it shows their skill level was better than people older than them.

Hopoate is currently one of the best players in the NRL. The question for Blues coach Ricky Stuart is: Can you afford not to pick him?

Everyone will be mindful of exposing a player like Hopoate to the Origin arena too early, but shouldn’t he be given the chance to fail?

Who knows, he may just prove to everyone that he’s up to it.

You can follow Luke Doherty on Twitter @Luke_Doherty and on Sky News Australia.

Personally I'd like to see him wait a little longer.

I shoudn't say this, but i hope he misses out this year. Don't want the young bloke playing a stack of games already. For him good luck on selection i am sure he will do well. Prefer to see him run around for Manly though

Based on Fittler's comments in the Manly-Penrith game, and that Fittler is City coach, Hoppa will be selected for City. Only question is whether Hayne is available and so what position.

Rex said:
Based on Fittler's comments in the Manly-Penrith game, and that Fittler is City coach, Hoppa will be selected for City. Only question is whether Hayne is available and so what position.

Yeah both Freddy and Joey were given him raps the whole game. I reckon he be on the wing for city.

Grahame Eadie debuted for Manly at 18. Hoppa is showing all the signs of being in the same class. He could step up to origin no worries. He will be NSW Winger/fullback/center its just a question of when.

This argument irritates me no end. Is hoppa ready? Of course he is.... State of Origin is a great game no doubt but the way they go on about it it's like you have to be some sort of invincible gladiator to play it.... the same blokes in the origin games play against each other every other week... if they can handle the weekly games of NRL than they will do fine... throw him in.. he'll be right

mickqld said:
Grahame Eadie debuted for Manly at 18. Hoppa is showing all the signs of being in the same class. He could step up to origin no worries. He will be NSW Winger/fullback/center its just a question of when.
Mick - Graham Eadie was still only 17 when he debuted in first grade during the 1971 season.

When he finished after the 1983 GF, he was still only 29. I'm pretty sure his date of birth is 30 Nov 53. I know he turned out in England a few years later, but what a waste. He could have played on for Manly until about 1986 or even 1987.

If you are good enough you are old enough and Hoppa is certainly good enough

PONTIAN SEA EAGLE said:
Lets be realistic it's only a matter of time & he'll be playing rep footy.

The time has come , the time is now , Hoppa is ready Pontian Eagle

Rex said:

Given that Hodkinson got a guernsey last year than I'd say Hoppa is a pretty good shot. The City cupboard is pretty bare. Lawrence is out this year so Hoppa maybe a chance at centre.

codewana said:
I'd like to never see him play SOO while at Manly... Ditto all our other players.

Some players dream of playing SOO.

Unfortunately it is not up to us fans to say whether he plays rep or not.

BTW where do you get the "I'm a Member" thingy from?

Seaeagle63 said:
codewana said:
I'd like to never see him play SOO while at Manly... Ditto all our other players.

Some players dream of playing SOO.

Unfortunately it is not up to us fans to say whether he plays rep or not.

BTW where do you get the "I'm a Member" thingy from?

No Doubt the players love it (well, most do anyway), but every game they play that's not for Manly is a game where our club risks losing a player to injury or suspension. Obviously I don't decide who plays!

The member tag is an addition Dan put in recently. Go to your control panel (CP) and its under contact info I think?

Rep footy isnt't all bad from the clubs perspective. There have been a lot of good player who have gone on to play SoO or International footy & become great players at the club level afterwards (Brett Stewart for example).

I do believe that the ARL/NSWRL/QRL should compensate the clubs to whom the selected players are contracted though. There needs to be some protection for the clubs in this instance.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6