Hoppa's willing to get back to Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
GRAND final star Will Hopoate has declared his desire to return to the Sea Eagles when he completes his two years working as a missionary with the Mormon Church.

While the outstanding winger has attracted plenty of interest from NRL rivals, including what is believed to be a massive offer from Parramatta, Hopoate said coming back to Manly was his first choice.

He also admitted a big factor would be whether Des Hasler was still coach in 2014.

“But I have made a lot of mates here, they have been like brothers,” the Manly Cove Rebels junior said.

“It’s the club I love and the club I grew up supporting.

“I’d love to be in maroon and white but in saying that I’m just going to soak up the moment for what it is now and enjoy the week with the boys.”

What makes Hopoate’s decision to go on his mission even harder is his belief that the Sea Eagles are set for even more success on the field.

“With the core senior playing group they have got and the coaching staff anything is possible - back to back premierships wouldn’t surprise me,” he said.

Hopoate admitted a few people approached him during the celebrations asking him to stay next season.

“It will be a bit hard to say goodbye to the game for two years but in saying that it is the best possible way to go out,” he said.

Hopoate is still coming to grips with what he achieved on Sunday.

“It is still sinking in, happiness, joy, words can’t express how happy we are at the moment,” he said.

And the amazing flick pass he delivered to Glenn Stewart for the lock’s try confirmed what a super talent Hopoate is and how much the Sea Eagles will miss him.

That play turned out to be one of the crucial moments in the game.

But the modest young back played down just what a skilful manoeuvre he had produced with the ball.

He conceded he didn’t know Stewart was perfectly positioned on the inside to take the pass.

“It was pretty much a fluke, I was just trying to keep it in and it ended up in Glenn’s hands,” Hopoate said. “I guess it was just instinct at the time.

“I was trying to go for the corner but big Manu (Vatuvei) was too strong for me and I tried to flick it in and gratefully it ended up in Glenn’s hands.”

Prop Brent Kite said he’s disappointed to lose Hopoate as a teammate but supports his missionary work.

“As long as he is bringing glory to God - I think he could do that on the footy field, I told him,” he said. “But he’s got to do what he’s got to do and that is fine.”

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/hoppas-willing-to-get-back-to-manly/

I LIKE this report BE!!

Am impressed bigtime with Will's integrity and sticking to what he believes in regardless of big bucks being waved in his face.

Best wishes Hoppa for the next 2 years and hoping to see you back at Manly playing in the maroon and white in 2014!

Just watching Fox Sports News. It is showing the back page of one of today's papers reporting that he has signed with Parramatta for $500k with his father getting a place on the coaching staff. I assume Hoppa senior would have some influence on his decision so it could be true. But maybe not. Who knows?

I dunno - up until last night everyone thought Des would be with that other club next year. I'll wait until it comes from Hoppa himself (unless the newspaper or channel nine has actually quoted him). Something about it doesn't ring true. If he has though, we'll just have to suck it up and move on.

I have no doubt that hoppa will be a superstar in the future. Very disappointed he's going. :(

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6