How and Why???

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
Ok, I'm no Queenslander, and I am no New South Welshman so it doesn't affect me either way really.....

But how on earth does Mitchell Piss continue to be guaranteed the NSW halfback spot when he has played in 12 Origin games (all at HB) and has only won 3. And those 3 were not won because he was the best player, far from it. It's always others who have taken it up to Qld.

Piss has proved time and time and time again that he simply is not an Origin player, yet Laurie Daley continues to guarantee he'll be there. Hell, apparently this time he doesn't even have to play City vs Country to get picked. According to the SMH online this morning, that game will decide who partners him at 5/8.

Is it any wonder why Queensland have won 8 series in a row when the Blues selectors continue to trot out Piss as halfback? If he was that good shouldn't he have at least played Test footy by now? He's played 12 Origins, 3 times for city and has played 163 games for the Rorters. Yet he has been easily overtaken by DCE (2 Origins from the bench and 87 games for Manly) as the next choice half behind Cronk and Thurston. DCE had only just begun playing first grade for us by the time Piss played his 4th Origin, and Cherry has gone on to play 6 tests compared to Piss who has played.....none.

I still wonder if its the club he plays for or the fact that his old man is a former NSW Origin captain and coach.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/citycountry-clash-to-decide-mitchell-pearces-nsw-scrumbase-partner-20140420-zqx10.html

I think you make a fair point @HoldenV8, and I'm sure being Wayne Pearce's son holds some sway in his favour.
But what do they do instead of him.....Adam Reynolds hasn't kicked on as many expected; Luke Brooks is far from ready; Terry Campese???
Wondering if Albert Kelly qualifies as a Blue??

Here's one not mentioned a lot!

How about Hodkinson? Great form, excellent goal kicker & strong partnership with Reynolds who they're suggesting as five-eighth!

Yeah @Blowfly...Hodkinson and Grub Reynolds would probly do no worse than Pearce and Grub Baloney...but geez, would be hard to cheer for 'em too!

Blowfly said:
Here's one not mentioned a lot!

How about Hodkinson? Great form, excellent goal kicker & strong partnership with Reynolds who they're suggesting as five-eighth!
Not the worst suggestion. Reynolds weakness is kicking, including goal kicking, but if Hodkinson was there he could do a lot of that. NSW does not have a host of options for either 1/2 or 5/8.

Hodkinson is perpetually slow, and unless the game is deadlocked with 5 minutes to go, has nothing much to offer.

Reynolds is an opportunist, void of any structure to his game, which does not suit State of Origin.

Maloney has been playing behind a beaten pack so far this year, but has proven himself to be a big game player (GF for example), and should still be picked. Piss will get the nod because there are no other options. I am not a fan, but I do think he is the best of a bad bunch. He takes the line on and throws a nice ball to his runners. The big issue is his kicking game...

Maloney was and will be the speed bump in the SOO again. :cool:

Manly's GF game plan was weak and did not run at him all night :s

I would put the Dogs Reynolds in at 5/8 as he has the mongrel required for SOO.

HappilyManly said:
Maloney was and will be the speed bump in the SOO again. :cool:

Manly's GF game plan was weak and did not run at him all night :s

I would put the Dogs Reynolds in at 5/8 as he has the mongrel required for SOO.
Agree, Thaiday made reference to
"the path of least resistance", in regards to Moloney at last years SOO.

There is not a lot of choice in the halves for nsw. If there was a better option than Pearce we would have tried it.

Carney :huh: Have you seen him play the last 3 weeks?

He has no tricks or variety for the 5th tackle option and speed is gone as well.

HappilyManly said:
Carney :huh: Have you seen him play the last 3 weeks?

He has no tricks or variety for the 5th tackle option and speed is gone as well.

Agreed HM, Carney has been very dusty the last couple of weeks. Was very good 3 weeks ago though from memory. Just don't want Pearce there & would prefer Carney over Pearce.
Like Bird, Carney is a SOO type player...

Carney blew it in that Melbourne SOO, had Wolfie like impact one might say :s

Pearce may still pull a hammy or something, otherwise Lozza will continue our suffering in NSW :cool:

Yeah you may as well leave Pearce at 7, if it's a choice with Carney. ( Don't know what is ailing Carney but he's gone way off the boil this year).

I don't mind Dugan at 1 and even Hayne at 5/8.

Snake has nothing to prove, and only injury to gain at this level.

Hayne is worth a try ahead of Baloney too.

RiverEagle said:
Yeah you may as well leave Pearce at 7, if it's a choice with Carney. ( Don't know what is ailing Carney but he's gone way off the boil this year).

I don't mind Dugan at 1 and even Hayne at 5/8.

Snake has nothing to prove, and only injury to gain at this level.

Hayne is worth a try ahead of Baloney too.

Joey Johns has been pushing the Hayne wagon and I agree. He is big and strong, a good pass, and his long kicks are sensational. A few years ago we played the Eels and he was kicking from inside his 30 regularly and getting it to our goal line with ease (this was not wind assisted).

To me Hayne is our most skillful NSW player and he needs to touch the ball as much as possible.

The issue with Pearce is who do you replace him with? A name that hasn't been mentioned is Peter Wallace. Again nothing spectacular but he's solid.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4