How many home-grown players have....

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
... Melbourne produced? By now they should have a whole generation of Melbourne born players in their top grade. Is there any?
We hear how well they are developing the game in Victoria, but where is the proof? Even Easts have one local junior.

Gareth Widdop came through the Storm system.
Jeremy Smith's junior club is Victorian.
There's a few others I can't think of

That is pretty tough on Melbourne. Any kid with any talent is generally wrapped up in AFL.

What is more relevant is the number of players they have developed through their system.

Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk, Cameron Smith, Ryan Hoffman, Sika Manu, Gareth Widdup, Jessie Bromwich, Dane Neilsen, Will Chambers etc were hardly household names before they became first grade stars.

This whole business of local juniors is such a bogus thing. Some jurisdictions are more densely populated whilst others are more rugby league strongholds. The Broncos pretty much have a mortgage on QLD talent so does that make them a more impressive organisation then Melbourne??? well according to recent results it doesn't seem to make a lick of difference.

Melbourne have the toughest assignment of any club in Australia. Eventually they will produce some kids that are Victorian but it will take time. So long as they can keep identifying and developing great players who really cares??

Jeremy smith was at manly in the northern eagles days. A very talented young centre.

Dirk Diggler said:
That is pretty tough on Melbourne. Any kid with any talent is generally wrapped up in AFL.

What is more relevant is the number of players they have developed through their system.

Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk, Cameron Smith, Ryan Hoffman, Sika Manu, Gareth Widdup, Jessie Bromwich, Dane Neilsen, Will Chambers etc were hardly household names before they became first grade stars.

This whole business of local juniors is such a bogus thing. Some jurisdictions are more densely populated whilst others are more rugby league strongholds. The Broncos pretty much have a mortgage on QLD talent so does that make them a more impressive organisation then Melbourne??? well according to recent results it doesn't seem to make a lick of difference.

Melbourne have the toughest assignment of any club in Australia. Eventually they will produce some kids that are Victorian but it will take time. So long as they can keep identifying and developing great players who really cares??
Basically it seems there are no Victorian-born players at The Storm. This begs the question: why are they in Melbourne? Why are they not located in Queensland where the bulk of their talent comes from? They would also give the Broncos some much needed competition.
It seems obvious that the experiment in Melbourne has failed. They have a champion team (assembled with a wink and a nudge), a great football stadium, no RL competitor in a city of 4 million. There is no excuse - and yet they get very little support, both in the media or through a large fan base. Victorian don't care about RL, so relocated the club to where people do.

Dirk Diggler said:
Melbourne have the toughest assignment of any club in Australia.

Many would say it's the opposite.

What do you define as their 'assignment'? Do you think it is getting young Victorian kids playing the game? Or just getting Victorians to watch NRL on TV - which is another thing altogether.

Storm have an enormous financial advantage over clubs like ours which enables them to sign a huge number of budding young stars to scholarships and then develop them with their coaching and support programs which are the best that money can buy.

Shoe1 said:
Jeremy smith was at manly in the northern eagles days. A very talented young centre.
thats a different jeremy smith who played for manly.

Jeremy Smith who played for they storm is from the gold coast he played his junior footy at runaway bay and coombabah high.

You sure cambo ?

I remember reading plenty of times when Smith was at the Storm that he was a manly lower grader

He is from Christchurch, explains the filth in his play haha

Kiwi Eagle said:
You sure cambo ?

I remember reading plenty of times when Smith was at the Storm that he was a manly lower grader

He is from Christchurch, explains the filth in his play haha
'
im almost certain about their being two buddy ill do some research

but he definitely played for Runaway Bay and Coombabah High

Cameron said:
Shoe1 said:
thats a different jeremy smith who played for manly.

Jeremy Smith who played for they storm is from the gold coast he played his junior footy at runaway bay and coombabah high.
You're wrong mate, I don't know about runaway bay etc, but the storm and cronulla Jeremy smith played reserve grade for manly, and worked at the leagues club. Him and Gordon graff formed a strong centre partnership for manly reserves. Sharp almost put him in 1st grade for the northern eagles once.

There was a Jeremy Smith who played for Parra and then Souths about five years ago, he was a kiwi as well.

http://www.sharks.com.au/playerprofiledisplay/Sharks/Jeremy%20%20Smith/3623
Date of Birth:
14 April, 1985
Height:
184 cm
Weight:
100 kg
Position:
Lock/Second Row
Rep. Honours:
17 tests for NZ (2007-2010); World Cup (2008); Four Nations (2010)
Junior Clubs:
Runaway Bay
Previous Clubs:
Melbourne Storm (2004, 2006-2008); St George Illawarra (2009-2010)
FG Debut:
Melbourne v Canberra, Canberra Stadium, 15/08/04 (Round 23)
Club Debut:
NA

that means he was 17 in 2002 playing reserve grade, there was also a jeremy smith who played for parra and moved to souths with jt in 2007 i think he was the one who played for us but its confusing.

I guess it comes with being a smith ;) in the 99 GF there was 2 craig smiths one on each team

One of the Jeremy's junior club is Altona Roosters.

One of the VRL (the Wolves) teams will be applying for a spot in the BRC next year.

His birthddate is confusing, if you look up Wikipedia it starts off by referring to him as born in 1980, then lists his birthday as 1985, and in the biography section has him born in 1980.
Just looking at him I would say that 1980 is more to the point than 1985.
If that's the case then it is a possibility he played for us in the NE days.
I live in the Cronulla area,if I see him I'll ask.

Peter C said:
His birthddate is confusing, if you look up Wikipedia it starts off by referring to him as born in 1980, then lists his birthday as 1985, and in the biography section has him born in 1980.
I think you would find the 1980 one played for ne, parra and souths.

Cameron said:
Peter C said:
I think you would find the 1980 one played for ne, parra and souths.
Apparently this JS is now with the Dragons

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8