How many players to win a comp?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Agree @Woodsie but not doable in two years more like 3-4 years. and need some locals to come through.

Here's an example of how it was done in the past by a certain team.

They had future champion young players (Stewart x2, Matai and Watmough) coming into 1st grade along with a couple of top established players in King and Menzies. Then they made the following Key purchases

2005 Kite and Kennedy
2006 Orford, Bell and Robertson
2007 Lyon and Ballin
2008 Perry and Wolfman

Agree @Woodsie but not doable in two years more like 3-4 years. and need some locals to come through.

Here's an example of how it was done in the past by a certain team.

They had future champion young players (Stewart x2, Matai and Watmough) coming into 1st grade along with a couple of top established players in King and Menzies. Then they made the following Key purchases

2005 Kite and Kennedy
2006 Orford, Bell and Robertson
2007 Lyon and Ballin
2008 Perry and Wolfman

Agree, but just thinking that with high profile retirements and the number of 2nd tier cleanouts we will have the funds to accelerate the process, unlike the era you mention.

But then again I am a half full type.

Gday moz, Omar has gone really well at times. Saw a couple of games he played up here for wyong playing 5/8 earlier in the year. But if he can't make the roosters team there must be a problem. On another note Manly could do worse than rip Taylor who coaches wyong. Old school mentor style. Very successful and fair dinkum type of bloke.
Great coach-unbelievable he has not been given a chance in NRL

We aren't far off, definitely a 5/8 that would make the defence second guess themselves and take the pressure off DCE. One winger and possibly a centre but we had Hiku and Gutherson already so that has cost us especially since they both loved the place and that would have counted in the attitude department.

A forward would be great, Sam Moa for mine as we need a hard runner until the young guys develop. We have some good young players already with a natural forward leader in Jake T. Signing a veteran forward is hit and miss ie Mason v Myles.

However and this was very clear last season when Foz and DCE had signed elsewhere, no one wanted to come near the place and with this season the way it's gone has only made it harder to sign the players we need for the right price.

Memo our recruitment officer. You want
Fast wingers - take a trip to Fiji
Big forwards - take a trip to NZ
Good work ethic - recruit a player Bellamy has coached

A couple of weeks ago I posed this question.

How many players do we currently have that would not look out of place in a premiership team. (Leaving Snake, Matai and Lyon out.)

The following I believe would be good enough.

Tom T.
Jake T.
Walker.
Kapow.
Parcell.
Myles. (before you scream, he does the job in SOO)
Jorge.
DCE.
Buhrer.

Possibles/Probables

AFB
Knight.
Vave.

That makes 12 players, to win a comp we would then need to add 5 premiership capable recruits. Say 2 forwards, a 5/8 and 2 backs.

Doable within 2 years.

I am now prepared to raise the 3 possibles into the team and add Lussick.

I have been a critic of Darcy, but he has shown enough in his past 3 games to be included.

If you add a top class 5/8, 2nd rower and centre to our current squad, I believe it starts to take a formidable shape.

A question I ask myself is how many players do we currently have that would not look out of place in a premiership team. (Leaving Snake, Matai and Lyon out.)

The following I believe would be good enough.

Tom T.
Jake T.
Walker.
Kapow.
Parcell.
Myles. (before you scream, he does the job in SOO)
Jorge.
DCE.
Buhrer.

Possibles/Probables

AFB
Knight.
Vave.

That makes 12 players, to win a comp we would then need to add 5 premiership capable recruits. Say 2 forwards, a 5/8 and 2 backs.

Doable within 2 years.
Koroisau should also be on your list, he is a massive prospect and is starting to nail down a spot, he has forced his way onto the bench when Parcell was there and now he is playing really well and taking his opportunity with both hands really making an impact easily a comp winner as shown in the 2014 GF where he was close to the best player

This is the frustrating thing. We actually have some good players. Hasler and Bellamy would have this squad in the top 8. We just look like a shambles on the field.

You don't need a team of superstars, you need a well-coached team. That is not a shot at Barrett, it's his first coaching gig and I'm willing to give him more time. How many coaches have won a premiership in their first year in the modern era? Only Stuart and Gould (I think?).

My point being is a good coach can make an average team (on paper) into premiership contenders. Likewise a bad coach can take a strong roster to the bottom of the table. Invest in a coach and let them build their team.

Koroisau should also be on your list, he is a massive prospect and is starting to nail down a spot, he has forced his way onto the bench when Parcell was there and now he is playing really well and taking his opportunity with both hands really making an impact easily a comp winner as shown in the 2014 GF where he was close to the best player

Turbo, Api is going well.

But be realistic, he hardly forced his way anywhere, he was dropped after two weeks and was brought back because of injuries, and has remained in FG due to injuries.

Not sure he has the game to be part of a premiership team in one of the most critical positions.

Turbo, Api is going well.

But be realistic, he hardly forced his way anywhere, he was dropped after two weeks and was brought back because of injuries, and has remained in FG due to injuries.

Not sure he has the game to be part of a premiership team in one of the most critical positions.
He won a premiership playing hooker for Souths in place of Isaac Luke

I'm still a fan of Jorge and want him to succeed but his inability to compete in the air is starting to take it's toll. In an already struggling team it's becoming a weakness we just can't afford. I'm sure the coaching staff are wise enough to be working on it, I just hope we see some improvement soon.

He won a premiership playing hooker for Souths in place of Isaac Luke
And Api if he left us he would be starting hooker at any of these clubs

Eels
Panthers
Dragons
Rabbits
Dogs
Tigers
Knights

And would make the bench of

Cowboys
Roosters
Warriors
Broncos
Titans
Raiders

He is a player that can win you the comp and a very talented player with a big future at manly. So what if he throws 2 or 3 bad passes it happens, everyone throws a bad one. If we want to be a better side I think that Api has to be number 9. He has all the skills to set up a try and hits harder in defence than Parcell he also quick. He would walk into most number 9 spots in the NRL

I'm still a fan of Jorge and want him to succeed but his inability to compete in the air is starting to take it's toll. In an already struggling team it's becoming a weakness we just can't afford. I'm sure the coaching staff are wise enough to be working on it, I just hope we see some improvement soon.
I really rate him too, he belongs at manly despite his problems which if can't be solved just make the centre do the kick returns. He's too good to let go.

How often have all those guys played in the same game together. Whichever way you look at it, injuries have become a very valid excuse.

For that reason I am not giving up on Trent yet..

Taufua? Used to love him hitting the ball back from kicks. High balls are too much of a liability now and who wouldn't coach their team to do that?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6