How much would you offer ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

simon64

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
With all the talk of Glenn's back ended deal and his being on 800K this year, it got me thinking....."How much would all the armchair CEO's out there offer Gift and how many years ?"

And let's just assume we can afford the figure.

I'm fairly sure there only a handful of players out there who would be worth that close to the million mark (and I include DCE in that group with Foz very close behind).

Personally, I would say two years and would put his value at about the 400-450 mark.

Hiku I'd offer a longer deal but as to the yearly figure, I think he's harder to judge. Maybe 250-300, with the potential for upgrades depending how he develops and representative honours.

Not easy. I don't envy the club trying to get all this right.

If we could afford anything then i would give him 700K per season. Not only for his obvious football skills but for the fact he threw punches and sparked a brawl against the cheating Scum (for which i regard him highly and will never forget).

But we have salary cap issues and he has to fit to stay. I think 480K would be a suitable figure for him at Manly. His Parra/Canberra/Doggies/other club figure would be 650-700K. That said, i think Gifty might stay if we could get the figure to around 440K.

I would pay him about 500K a year and give him a 3 year deal. He is part of the glue of the side. Reality is that some players are going to have to make way if we are to retain him.

If he wants to stay in Sydney and especially Manly, then he would only be offered around $400,000-450,000, the sticking point is the term of the contract, he would want three years and a club like Manly would offer only
two.
All this talk of $700, 000-800,000 is for this year only, as his contract was structured this way, apart from the Bulldogs, Brett would struggle to find a club in Sydney.

$250k to $350k.

Remember the $800k makes up for shortfall in previous years in a contract that was signed when Glenn was a Test and Origin player.

The way I see it if he gets $300k for each of the next 2 years he can add that to his $800k and that's an average almost $500k for 3 years.

Good money for a broken down old footballer whose best years are behind him.

I think we should apply for a salary cap exemption like they granted to the Roosters and Dogs and give him $700k. If that's not successful I think around $400k.

350-400K is the mark I have.

Remember the average is 160K so that is over twice the average top 25.

I believe his manager has a figure they want manly are elsewhere this is reason for the mudsling contest. At tops 450 that is it given the new cap increase I believe he wants similar to brett which is lunacy, do we have to also re sign choc this season?

I'd say $400K for 2 years.

I don't know why he doesn't say he's going to Rugby, then the NRL will let the club throw anything at him. That seems to be the way other stars negotiate.

The average Salary under the salary cap for 25 players is $220,000 approx. ( 5.5 million divided by 25 )

If you pay 5 blokes like Foran, DCE, Lyon Brett Stewart, Choc 600k a year each ( on average amongst them ) - the remaining 20 players have an AVERAGE of $125,000 each (2.5 million divided by 20 )

Try signing 20 decent players for $125,000 average ( excluding salary cap allowances.

Add Glenn Stewart in at 400k a year plus and were looking at an average of just over 100k per player. This includes guys like Matai, Taufua, Lawrence, Ballin, Williams Buhrer, Horo, Hiku ....the list goes on.

And I have no doubt DCE could get far in excess of 600k on the open market so these figures aren't outrageous.

Apologies for the amateur accountancy but lets be serious - the club has to draw the line somewhere.

bob dylan said:
niccipops said:

Exactly, they show none. Exceptions being Watmough, Lyon and King.
I meant from the point of view of the club showing loyalty towards Glenn Stewart, 12 years at Manly and the Clive Churchill medal winner in the 2011 GF.

Yeah i agree there...loyalty in this area is a two-way street.

12 yrs with one club is outstanding; particularly
when it comes with the quality Gift has given,
and clearly he is part of the fabric that bound
the club into elite company for so long.

But, as stated, he has been handsomely paid too, and there comes a time where age and circumstance insist on either moving on, or
COMPROMISE. That means fairness, parity and loyalty from both sides of the table.

I've thought about this...and without being privvy to our budget etc etc, in a fantasy world if u like...I'd offer Gift $550k over two yrs.

I think that's reasonable and fair given the situation, what we've already paid, and the fact that the risk of injury and retirement are obv
higher now.

I love the Gift, what he's given us; and the playing group clearly do too...and that is important. But I loved Kitey and what he did here too, and this day comes sooner or later.

We owe him an offer NOW tho.
This has all dragged on far too long.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7