How should we go about Golden Point/Extra Time?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagle9413

Forward Pass
Since the 2015 GF, there has been much debate on how we should go about using the golden point system. Personally, if I was calling the shots, I would have it like this:

Regular Season - No golden point/extra time. Each team gets one point each if the result is a draw at 80 minutes.

Finals
- There MUST be a winner. Golden point/extra time must be used if it is a draw. No limit on extra time, keep going until someone scores.

State of Origin - Someone has to win the series by 2 or 3 games. Golden point is necessary here in all three games.

International (Rep)
- If it is a Series, there can be draws. If it is a one-off or a friendly, there has to be a winner.

Auckland Nines - No golden point until the finals.

NRL Pre Season Games - Must be a winner. Golden Point.

World Club Challenge/Series - Must be a winner for all three games.

This is how I would have it myself. There is no perfect solution for GP/ET but we can make it as logical as possible. What are your thoughts? How would you have it?

image.jpg

Golden try for me but grumpy wayne doesn't want anything coz he lost the gf, news flash wayne your star halfback lost the gf not golden point. I top have no problems with golden pint

Agree with regular season,no extra time,what's the matter with a draw?A problem that may arise with golden try is if one team kicks 3 penalty goals in extra time then concedes a try meaning they would be ahead by 2 on the scoreboard but lose.I know it's probably a slim chance but for any credibility all bases have to be covered and the NRL have a habit of making snap decisions without looking at all possible outcomes

Golden try for me but grumpy wayne doesn't want anything coz he lost the gf, news flash wayne your star halfback lost the gf not golden point. I top have no problems with golden pint
This is a tricky one to answer. Golden point is not a good way/look to end a game but then again golden try isn't either. If it was golden try then what's to stop sides giving away penalties close to their line to reset their defence knowing that a penalty goal will not win the game for the opposition. Also refs are known to put the whistle away in extra time and are less likely to award penalties so more foul play (e.g., offsides, etc.) is let go. Best solution might be 10 minutes each way (20 min. total) and team with most points at end is the winner. But then what happens if they are still locked together at end of extra time??

Agree with regular season,no extra time,what's the matter with a draw?A problem that may arise with golden try is if one team kicks 3 penalty goals in extra time then concedes a try meaning they would be ahead by 2 on the scoreboard but lose.I know it's probably a slim chance but for any credibility all bases have to be covered and the NRL have a habit of making snap decisions without looking at all possible outcomes
This is highly unlikely to happen. There would be no incentive for a team to take a shot for goal. They would just go for a try. 6 extra tackles close to the line and the possibility of scoring a try to win the game is a far better option.

Regular season if a game is drawn the winner should be whoevers higher on the ladder at that stage between the 2 sides.Whereas semis should be decided by golden point.

This is highly unlikely to happen. There would be no incentive for a team to take a shot for goal. They would just go for a try. 6 extra tackles close to the line and the possibility of scoring a try to win the game is a far better option.
I know it's highly unlikely to happen,but the option is still there.So while that option is still available,the method still has flaws

I know it's highly unlikely to happen,but the option is still there.So while that option is still available,the method still has flaws
If they are that stupid to kick a goal when only a try can win it, then they deserve to lose.

This is a tricky one to answer. Golden point is not a good way/look to end a game but then again golden try isn't either. If it was golden try then what's to stop sides giving away penalties close to their line to reset their defence knowing that a penalty goal will not win the game for the opposition. Also refs are known to put the whistle away in extra time and are less likely to award penalties so more foul play (e.g., offsides, etc.) is let go. Best solution might be 10 minutes each way (20 min. total) and team with most points at end is the winner. But then what happens if they are still locked together at end of extra time??
Good points re golden try @Rodo. I'd go with your best solution, 10 minutes each way with an ad break in the middle to cover the disruption for the tv channel, highest score wins. Draw if equal at end of extra time for regular season matches.
For finals, if a draw after extra time, can't see a re-match given turn-around debate and tv scheduling so maybe 10 minutes each way again, golden point (with fresh reserves?), then if still drawn, fall back to number of trys, penalties, position on ladder after that.

Just found this! The Donkeys are still complaining!

Parker's Plea for golden Point Change

Mon 30 Nov, 2015, 4:30pmBy Tony Webeck ‌, Chief Queensland Correspondent, NRL.com

It is 137 seconds that will haunt Corey Parker for the rest of his life and the Broncos veteran has urged the NRL to seriously consider making amendments to extra time for future Telstra Premiership grand finals.​

Parker was one of a handful of Broncos from that fateful night in October who returned for day one of pre-season training on Monday, a taxing testing session their first assignment eight weeks after they returned from Sydney as heartbroken runners-up.

Parker posted the first points in the sixth minute of the grand final and finished with 44 tackles and 170 metres but it was Cowboys superstar Johnathan Thurston who landed the critical final blow, a field goal in the 83rd minute that earned North Queensland an historic first title.

Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett said in the post-match press conference that it was an unsatisfactory way for a premiership to be decided and as he embarks on his 16th NRL season Parker also urged officials to consider a period of extra time before launching into sudden death.

"As a spectator, you want to see a result on game day," Parker said.

"Looking back to the grand final, it was played with a spirit and passion that was fantastic and then you go into golden point and it turns from what it was into something else.

"I believe we have an extra 10 minutes and I dare say you have a result after that 10 minutes. If not, then you go to golden point.

"You would still get a result but it would be played in a different context to what we saw."

Read More: http://www.nrl.com/parkers-plea-for-golden-point-change/tabid/10874/newsid/91055/default.aspx

The problems with golden point seem simply solved to me. Am I missing something? Have golden try extra time.
1. 10 minutes extra time each way (like the old way)
2. First team to have scored a try AND be leading wins the game (highly unlikely but possible that a team could score a try without leading)
3. If result not already determined by golden try, result determined by score at end of extra time.
4. If still undecided, two options:
a) golden try extra, extra time in (say) 5 minute lots until a winner is decided.
b) replay the match and pocket the extra revenue.

No extra time except for knockout games, internationals and short series (eg SOO).

Can someone explain what was wrong with 5 minutes extra time each way? It worked great. If a side got the early field goal the other side had a chance but then had to go for the try.

The only reason they brought golden point in was NRL was too narrow minded when origin finished a draw. I don't even ra all of the played extra time. But far q me it's not hard play another 5 minutes u will soon get a winner.

Golden point is ****. Too many games decided by first use of the footy.

Apply to finals, soo, tests. NRL should still have draws in normal rounds. Love a good draw.

Last edited:
If they are that stupid to kick a goal when only a try can win it, then they deserve to lose.
Missing my point.Its about credibility of the game.A team under pressure on their line could continuely give away penalties without fear of losing from a penalty goal.

Missing my point.Its about credibility of the game.A team under pressure on their line could continuely give away penalties without fear of losing from a penalty goal.
I'm not having a go at you, I just think they would lose out by giving away penalties like that anyway as they couldn't keep the defence up and refs would sin bin if it was continous and blatant.

5 minutes extra each way ( so 10 minutes in total), Golden Try.

No penalty kicks allowed other than to gain territory.

If no score at end of the first 5, 4 players each side drop off , coin toss for possession at the start of each 5 minutes.

Field goals not allowed during this 10 minute period.

Following this Golden Point.

By the way these rules to only apply during Finals, Internationals and State of Origin.

Normal NRL games just to return to 1 point each if scores drawn at 80 minutes.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6