How the NRL coaches rate

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
How the NRL coaches rate

http://blogs.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/buzzwords/index.php/dailytelegraph/comments/how_the_nrl_coaches_rate/

Phil RothfieldMonday, February 14, 2011 at 06:43pm

Today I rank the coaches in the NRL and reveal which one will be sacked first in 2011.
Join me from 1pm and let me know what you think.

1  Wayne Bennett (Dragons)
2  Steve Kearney (Eels)
3  Craig Bellamy (Storm)
4  Des Hasler (Sea Eagles)
5  John Cartwright (Titans)
6  David Furner (Raiders)
7  Kevin Moore (Bulldogs)
8  Tim Sheens (Tigers)
9    Matt Elliott (Panthers)
10  Shane Flanagan (Sharks)
11  Ivan Cleary (Warriors)
12  Brian Smith (Roosters)
13  Rick Stone Knights
14  Neil Henry (Cowboys)
15  John Lang (Rabbitohs)
16  Ivan Henjak (Broncos)

Dessie 4th ?!!

First sacked ? - Henjack would have to be short odds, given the rumours of player unrest.

Flanagan has been waiting in the wings for many years, hes a career coach, unlike these guys who stop playing and are a head coach 5 minutes later.

he'd do well with a good roster, even a passable one, I fear the sharkies just dont have anything even approaching mediocre.

That may be the case mate but he hardly has the record to be above a premiership winning coach in John Lang and a multiple grand finalist Brian Smith.

I'd agree Fonz, was simply saying he wasnt a total numpty.

I'd probably put him over Elliot and Moore as well, and Tim Sheens is certainly liveing on past glories.

And yes Dan, Kearney is a little off where he should be, particularly as he has yet to actually coach a game.

Its classic Rothfield, a couple of controversies (Kearney & Smith) to get people answering his blog and pump the response hit rate and over rating the Sharks. If Flanagan is so good why has he never been poached by clubs looking for a coach?

Aside from the obvious of Kearney being over rated, he has definately over rated Kevin Moore, the bloke is a spastic. He has a great eye for talent and made good buys this off seasonn, but could organise a set play to save his life. His idea of structure is you all stand in a line in your positions and I don't see Kimmorley, the most uncreative halfback in history to pump their stocks.

Such is Bennett's aura I think Rothfield gave Kearney and Bellamy their spots by association.

Kearney is coach of the "World & Tri-Nations Champions" I suppose but Bellamys reputation is built on shoddy foundations.

Let Wayne coach the SHarks for a year or two.

Des is better than both Kearney and Bellamy imo.

Give Bennett 3 years at the sharks with a free hand and they would be a top 4 side.

Would cost them a fair whack to pay a few contracts out, but if he was given the nod to proceed as he wished he would turn them around pretty quick.

Ask Riddell, Ryles etc how much dead wood he puts up with.

Maybe it was even last year when Des was rated #2 behind Bennett with Buzz saying he was the most scientific coach pushing the boundaries.  If we didn't have those second half fade outs he'd still be number 2 i reckon.

Buzz,

Anyword on an unrest with Dessie at Manly. I think his a great coach but remember reading along the traps somewhere they might already be looking at Toovey

John of Collaroy (Reply)
Tue 15 Feb 11 (01:53pm)

Not happening. He’s contracted for another couple of years.

Phil Rothfield
Tue 15 Feb 11 (02:03pm)

Directly from his blog
I know his a news limited merkin but reading that makes me more comfortable

I think Des has been the best thing to happen to our club since Fulton,perhaps even better

On Bellamy for a moment i know we all hate him,i hate him with a passion but he never bought big name players,he developed junior talent,question you have to ask yourself is would Cronk,Slater,Smith,Folau and Inglis would have such a big name without his coaching,he also gave lifelines to discarded journeymen and turned their careers on their head

This season will be Des VS Bennett all the way

Onto Bennett now,without all the funding he has had from the thoroughbreds and saints leagues,would he have won a single premiership? Personally i think the bloke is a myth,he has lost a GF as coach,noone ever remembers this

Bennett is a myth? That'll do me for chuckles. I guess turning around a 30 year choker tag in just 2 years is a big fat zero.

ManlyBacker link said:
Bennett is a myth? That'll do me for chuckles. I guess turning around a 30 year choker tag in just 2 years is a big fat zero.

Star studded rosters nuff said
Take a trip down to his Wiki and look at the
rosters on his premiership wins,his cash makes
him unrivalled,see how he goes at the sharkies

Ever since he started his career as
a head coach (as opposed to co-coach)

Saints have been throwing cash towards premierships long before Bennett and didnt get one before he arrived.

[quote author=Captain of the Gate link=topic=186470.msg315875#msg315875 date=1297741168

Aside from the obvious of Kearney being over rated, he has definately over rated Kevin Moore, the bloke is a spastic. He has a great eye for talent and made good buys this off seasonn, but could organise a set play to save his life. His idea of structure is you all stand in a line in your positions and I don't see Kimmorley, the most uncreative halfback in history to pump their stocks.
[/quote]

Kevin Moore must be going OK to be an NRL coach,if he is mentally/physically challenged,(although you put it another way,you c**k).Watch what you say-that's disgusting!!

Bennett said it himself, he will only go to a club with a winning squad. That's not the attitude of the greatest coach of all time. That is the attitude of a coach that's riding on the coat-tails of superstars.

A real star coach is one that takes a team of average players with a couple of stars and moulds them into a championship team: Phil Gould (1991), John Lang (2003), Craig Bellamy (if he'd won in 2006), Tim Sheens (2005), Daniel Anderson in 2002 and 2009 (he didn't win but he took nothing teams to the GF...twice) and the king himself Jack Gibson. These are real star coaches. I love Des and what he does but even he now has a team of superstars so he doesn't even compare to the coaches of these years.

If Dave Furner takes Canberra to glory in the next 2 years I would put him up there as well

Bennett brought a offensively dour strategy that in essence cannot fail
if his players can catch,settler settler settler backs play with a kick and chase much like what is used throughout the world in u/10s and typically bores teams out of points,at the 60 minute mark when teams are tired his backs plays come into fruition and his forwards may get 1 settler each set

His defensive structure can be broken,big forwards inside runs
up the middle,it is not impenetrable at all,it can leak upwards of 30 points if this area around the ruck is attacked relentlessly,the big boppers will tire out and acting halves (Anyone who can hop into dummy half and scoop the ball up after a quick play the ball) can make as many as 200 metres in the last 20 minutes of any given game,it must be exploited relentlessly

Lets post Bennetts grand final winning rosters just for ****s and giggles

If theres less than 10 big name players in the top 17 with 5 more solid 1st graders and 2 fringies ill no **** print this out and eat it

@Brisbane he bought all the players

@Saints they bought the roster then bought the coach for strategies

@Rabbitohs They have the roster to do big things,all the need is some pure football brains,expect them to be more adventurous than Saints have been in the last 2 years,Lang took a few years off and lost alot of his coaching prowess

Put him @Sharks and see how great the man is,or @NQL where he only has a halfback and fullback

His smart like that,he wont accept a contract unless rosters are full to the brim of premium talent,that doesnt make him great,it makes him smart like Gus Gould and not taking a job in a hopeless NSW camp which would only tarnish his outstanding record

Chip & Chase link said:
Dessie 4th ?!!

First sacked ? - Henjack would have to be short odds, given the rumours of player unrest.
dessie 4th is a fair call.. should be 3rd really!!! dnt knw how some one who hasnt even coached an nrl side can jump a coach who has won a premiership & taken his team to two grandfinals in last 4 season .. any one could have won a comp with the players bellamy had.(except maybe stuart & brian smith they would still probably struggle)..
matt elliott is way too low also..   

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4