How to stop salary cap rorting

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Fluffy

Journey Man
Ive been thinking about how often this comes up and how repetitve it is.

Rich clubs who can affort a 100K fine wont even blink.

The only way is to dock points.

So i suggest 2 points for every 25K over the cap.

If you get found out after the finals game it comes off next years points.

Fluffy link said:
Ive been thinking about how often this comes up and how repetitve it is.

Rich clubs who can affort a 100K fine wont even blink.

The only way is to dock points.

So i suggest 2 points for every 25K over the cap.

If you get found out after the finals game it comes off next years points.

Make it 2 fold. You get docked points AND whatever $$ amount you have over spent gets deducted from your available Salary Cap the following year.

You only have to look at the salary cap rorts in today's telecrap to realise that clubs are finding ways to get around the salary cap which will never be found out.

Whilst they say that these are only hypothetical examples I think that they are real examples of how easy it is to get around the salary cap. 

I have heard rumours that the roosters paid Hargraves $50k cash to sign while there have always been the rumours about orford being given a block of 4 flats by Max to sign with Manly. 

There are also rumours that the flat that the players partied in on Manly beach after the grand final win is actually owned by Lyon

From the telgraph:

Roosters: Pay Jared Waerea-Hargreaves $50,000 in a brown paper bag to quit Manly. His manager keeps the money in a safe and gives him $1000 a week.

Sharks: Charge the Toyota Stadium caterers $3000 cash for each home game to get the venue rights. Pass the cash on to Paul Gallen.

Manly: Build a home unit free of charge on Manly Beach for Jamie Lyon. Part-owner and property developer Max Delmege can take care of it and who would know?

Dragons: Persuade Mark Gasnier to return home from France. Wayne Bennett reckons he knows four business heavies who should be on the independent commission. Surely one of them can find something for Gaz on the quiet.

Titans: Find a club sponsor to provide Greg Bird with a luxury cruiser free of charge for his waterfront Gold Coast house.

Raiders: The Raiders own nine licensed premises - six in the ACT, two in Queensland, one in NSW, plus a pub in Queanbeyan. If they can’t find some cash on the side, they’re not trying.

Knights: Get fanatical fan and mining magnate Nathan Tinkler to give Johnathan Thurston a racehorse, preferably a faster one than his current lot, and register it under someone else’s name.

Cowboys: Pay a builder to renovate Willie Mason’s home in Clovelly. Use funds from the marketing budget to pay the builder.

Storm: Find Greg Inglis and Brett Finch lucrative newspaper and magazine columns but don’t include them in the salary cap.

Bulldogs: Give Josh Morris $20,000 worth of business class air travel and write it off as talent scouts looking for players overseas.

Tigers: Register Lote Tuqiri for $250,000 on the salary cap but get him a car on the quiet from a Proton dealer, who sell other makes and vehicles. Throw in some $5000-a-pop speaking engagements at the SCG and SFS.

Souths: No one has contacts like Russell Crowe and Peter Holmes a Court at the big end of town to find opportunities for Sam Burgess and Dave Taylor.

Eels: Paul Osborne could do a deal with every car yard on Auto Alley to provide free vehicles for the players. There’s enough showrooms on Church St to get one car for every first grader.

Warriors: The club is owned by one of New Zealand’s richest men, Eric Watson. He is chief executive of the huge international company Cullens Investments and is as well connected as anyone in the game.

Panthers: Ask club sponsor and multi-millionaire property developer Lew Zivanovic to build a house for Michael Jennings. Pay him back by donating money to his favourite charities.

Broncos: Have always been supported by a group of business heavyweights called The Thoroughbreds. The group once gave the players a racehorse and used to pay Wayne Bennett on the side. There’s nothing to stop them doing the same for Darren Lockyer.

the only way to stop cap routing, is to not have a cap.
it's human nature, that in competitive business like RL winning is everything.
so when your star player says he wants a $100'000 a year more a year to stay at your club, or he'll look else where... but the 100k puts you 98k over the cap,
what are you going to do?
let your star half go else where, so he can carve you to peace's next year.
or are you going to beg, borrow or steal to keep the star at your club.
keep in mind that you need to keep sponsors and fans happy so that they keep up the support for your club.

i know what i'd do.

p.s not saying we don't need the cap in place, just that there will always be routing

Absolutely there will be but when you do get caught the penalties need to be sufficient.

Nothing will ever stop it though.

We have laws and penalties in society to stop people cheating, they dont stop everyone.

An independent auditor would be a start.  How an in-house auditor can audit their own entities and still have credibility is beyond me.  Getting rid of the cap would see the end of Manly I think.   

You can never stop it but certainly can reduce it by increasing penalties and as DSM says independent eyes would be far better.

Getting rid of the cap would wind up a number of clubs but also have an English Premier League situation in which only two or three clubs would ever win the premiership. Like Chelski, Man Yew and Arse Nil, it would be Brisbane, Melbourne (with News Money) and probably Easts who would buy all the good players leaving the rest to hang in there. Bye to Sharks, Newcastle, Manly, Penrith and a couple of the Regional teams.

One way of reducing the rorting would be for the NRL salary cap auditor to have 100% access to all players and their agents tax returns. 

The bulldogs rort would have been exposed if they had access to players income details. 

Tookey, by the sounds of it alot of it would come under Tax.

Its like they are paying tribute with golden fleece for some of these players and i doubt all 16 clubs try some different ways to do it.

It won't be caught on tax returns. If they are under the table payments in cash or kind then unless the player is dumb enough to declare it, it won't be found there. A double whammy would be to report suspect payments to the ATO who could then investigate if their lifestyle spending is above their declared income. Then the player would be hit with a penalty, and in serious cases with evasion charges; and the clubs would face the wrath (haha) of the NRL.

I heard when Russell was filming Robin Hood he had Sam Burgess working on the movie,

In the props department. ;D

As stated you will never stop the rorts. Only way of hurting the clubs is to fine and take away competion points or deregister a club from the NRL competion for a season or two.

If we had a two tier competion where the 4 bottom placed clubs at the end of the season get demoted to either NSW and QLD cup and you could bring in two new team from each state to make up the difference.

Not saying this should happen, its only a suggestion.

Personally, I do not like the salary cap as I feel it’s a restriction of trade. If you are to have a salary cap there should be exemptions with juniors brought up the ranks, long term one club players, i.e. 10years and further exemptions if any of these happen to be state or International reps.

A better way would be to ban any player for 11 Matches. Then see which players would accept the bogus money.

Nate link said:
A better way would be to ban any player for 11 Matches. Then see which players would accept the bogus money.

I'm not certain that will work either.

It doesn't hurt the player financially - still gets to keep the cash

The club - may still make the finals.

Has to be a combination of higher fines and docking of lots of competition points.

Fox is gathering the wagons around Smith and Melbourne.  Just watching the love fest happening on Fox.  All bending over themselves to paint the guy as a regular commentator on the show.  Laurie Daley on about the wonderful culture of the club.  If Cam Smith is a 'natural' to get in front of the camera and commentate, then I'm a banana.  Sickening, and this rort should be exposed as it is, a salary cap dodge. 

DSM5 link said:
Fox is gathering the wagons around Smith and Melbourne.  Just watching the love fest happening on Fox.  All bending over themselves to paint the guy as a regular commentator on the show.  Laurie Daley on about the wonderful culture of the club.  If Cam Smith is a 'natural' to get in front of the camera and commentate, then I'm a banana.  Sickening, and this rort should be exposed as it is, a salary cap dodge. 
Smith can barely string two words together coherently.  However, that is like much of what passes for commentating talent these days, it's a disgrace.

Whoever it was that said demote a team to the 2nd tier may not be far from a good solution.

Many people have talked about expanding the game. If we could do that ( maybe a few years down the track ), teams could well be penalized for creative accounting.

Maybe it would have to be a 10 team 1st div, 10 team 2nd with Adelaide, Perth, Central Coast and another Brisbane team entering ?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6